Civilization V

By Wilfred Owen, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Anyone here playing it? It's great.

Just began playing it. Looks like Civ Revolution 2, but I haven't played it enough to have a good opinion yet...

It looks & feels like Civ Revolution 2 and plays very casual now.

After a week playing Civ V i decided to switch back to Civ IV.

so it looks like you are disappointed from this CIV V. Can you explain what you think?

Well, the AI just plain sucks quite honestly, especially on water maps (hopefully, this might get corrected in the next patch). There are also a lot of bugs in the game (ex : you can hardly skip the introduction cinematic which lasts 4-5 mins.... They provided a way to fix this but you have to mess with your game files... Not so great). The tech tree is dumber then before sniff. All in all, less complex game that feels rushed, so you might wanna wait a little before joining the fun.

On the bright side, the policy system provides an interesting aspect to culture. The more culture you have, the more social policies you might have! Now it feels more useful to have culture (always did like to win by a cultural victory). The hex system is quite awesome, for the hex is the supreme form of all forms of gaming! There is also the 1 unit per hex rule that prevents the former stack of doom (10 000 units in 1 stack, steamrolling everything), which now makes the construction of fortifications useful.

All in all, I am still going to play Civilization 5 over civilization 4 but I recommend you wait a little before buying it if you have a lot of fun playing Civilization 4. There is also a fact that 2k seems a lot greedy these days, since they are going to sell DLC (downloadable content). Exemple, they are planning to make a DLC about the Babylon civilization! Loosk cool right? But they are going to sell it 5$! 5$ for a civ... Sure, you can skip buying it if you don't want to pay 5$ (no way I'm gonna do it) but it doesn't help with the feeling of the game being rushed...

Cheers and hopefully, the boardgame will make me forget the bugs of the computer version.

Just got it, looking forward to getting lost in it.

I still love my CivNet II game...

I'm a dedicated Civ fan but I'm holding off on buying Civ V until there's a major patch.

Or, quite possibly, I won't buy it at all. The Civ franchise is not immune to the devs not making their homework, thinking that the brand name is strong enough for a sloppy game to sell itself.

I've played Civ I, II and IV a lot . Unfortunately, this suggests the next brilliant (both deep and accessible) Civ game I'll play will be Civ VIII...

I really don't understand all the hate Civ V has been getting. Yes the AI and diplomacy need work, but I'm confident Firaxis will patch it up as they've done in the past. I've played every Civ from the first to death and Civ V is just as addicting and quite honestly the most refreshing, polished, and satisfying game of the series. It's simply a pleasure to play and I can't say that about the others as fun and addicting as they were.

After about 100 hours of play, only Civ2 beats out Civ V for me and I'm suspecting that's more out of nostalgia than anything. :P