Will MoM be the mythos answer to Descent? & or this the best way of experiencing the myhos?

By Morffe, in Mansions of Madness

Several have expressed that it might be so, being a Descent-like game only in the universe or the Cthulhu mythos.

Do you think FFG have intention of doing the same with MoM as Descent? Creating tons of high-quality expansions to make it a a huge game. I do hope so.

For reason is, any good Call of Cthulhu rpg adventure could in essential be played as an boardgame with roleplaying aspects. You investigate, try to solve a puzzle, you die alot or get insane, and in away the character progress or involment aren't as important as in other games like World of Darkness, and storytelling games, that heavily emphasise on character motivation.

What I mean is this perhaps the best way to experience the mythos is by playing MoM rather than CoC? I know this can be provokative, but just think, maybe Chaosium should be real worried?

looking forward to any comments

I doubt that the RP community is going to switch over to a Boad Game & FFG would need to produce a massive amount of MoM Expansions to even come close to the material available in the RP Game.At most MoM might be a source of minatures & player aids for the RP Game.

OD

I agree with Old Dwarf. This game definitely looks to provide useful game aids for a role-playing game, but I rather suspect the rules will fall short of making it an all-out replacement. For example, it is yet unclear what, if any, kind of character advancement there will be in MoM. That isn't a flaw with MoM, btw. MoM never set out to be an RPG, it set out to be a board game. I'm sure it will excel in that arena, as it intends to.

I suspect most people interested in role-playing a Cthulu game will use CoC (or maybe World of Darkness) as a base engine and just loot this game for minis and tiles. Everybody wins from a business perspective since players are buying both products, and the players win for having shiny happy fun RP =)

I don't see this as a total replacement either. Thinking it'll make a great substitute for the guys I play with.

Still holding out hope FFG will whip up their own Mythos based RPG. Seeing as all of Lovecraft's stuff is public domain, the amount of material they have in-house from theother games, and the amount of cash it's maiking, why not? If anyone can breah dome life into that area, it's FFG.

I can't see this as being a better baord game version of the mythos than Arkham Horror itself, more of a companion piece. I've run plenty of rpg-style AH games with custom location encounters and alternate win conditions, so I see AH as more of a baord based rpg than anything else. I still expect i will gretly enjoy MoM and can't wait to play, but I think it will be a different experience than AH.