Got a copy today

By miles601, in Death Angel

Browsing Barnes and Nobles gaming section (which seems to get bigger every time i wander through lately) I noticed this one on the shelf. **** you FFG, you have ALL my money now.

Flipping through the rules now and going to give my first game a shot. I've never played a Warhammer product before, so I'm interested to see what my impression will be after I try this out. It looks pretty cool. The Aliens influence is obvious (and appreciated).

A quick trip to boardgamegeek showed me that Space Hulk started off as a board game. Any reason why they went the card game approach for this release? I like the compact size and solo-play option. Looks like the right size/time of play for something I could slip out when I'm in the mood for a quicker play than Arkham or Dungeonquest for soloing. Excited to give it a shot!

GW released a limited-run new edition of Space Hulk last year. Probably didn't want FFG horning in on that. *shrug*

makes sense. thanks

Space Hulk (the board game) was one of the items specifically named that FFG couldn't do when they got the rights to do older GW games (that and Blood Bowl, both board games with strong miniatures components). Thus these are card games only, but we can always hope :)

-Tim

Interesting. I can see why GW would want to protect its most valuable asset (the sale of tons of minatures). From what I can see (merely by reading about it, having never touched it) Space Hulk looks like a Sci-Fi game that plays similarly to Descent. I can imagine FFG taking the ball and running with it were they given the chance. I'm sure they'd want to release plenty of expansion sets and an advanced campaign guide for a Space Hulk board game just like they did with Descent.

miles601 said:

Interesting. I can see why GW would want to protect its most valuable asset (the sale of tons of minatures). From what I can see (merely by reading about it, having never touched it) Space Hulk looks like a Sci-Fi game that plays similarly to Descent. I can imagine FFG taking the ball and running with it were they given the chance. I'm sure they'd want to release plenty of expansion sets and an advanced campaign guide for a Space Hulk board game just like they did with Descent.

Funny that you (as someone who's never even heard of Space Hulk before) should say that. GW (back in the '80s) had two expansions and a campaign guide for Space Hulk.

It's probably my favorite board game. Good to hear you like Death Angel. I'm going to pick it up soon.