WW1 or WW2?

By Pilot17, in Wings of War (WWII)

I think im going to get WoW. Im leaning towards WW1 but i wanted to get some peoples opinions first. I was also wondering what the difference is between the two other than different planes and maneuvers. Are there any different game mechanics?

Im posting this on both forums to get opinions from both sides.

Well, the easy answer is both .

However, since you might want a bit more than that...

The both versions use very similar mechanics, such that they are mostly indistinguishable. There are differences.

In the WWI version, you pick three maneuvers per turn, cycle through them, and them pick three new ones next turn. In the WWII version, you pick a new maneuver to put at the end of your stack of three after performing the first one. It's a subtle difference, but it really makes a difference in the feel of the game.

The WWII version also has a difference in speed, in that you can choose a slow or fast version of each maneuver.

They are both great, so I'd say you should pick the one whose history and aircraft you find most compelling!

Great thanks for the tips.

I played both and own WW2 version when it was released. Didn't get the WW1 version because some folks at my LGS already owned it.

I really enjoyed WWI version better. It's a bit more balanced in terms of the damage dealt and the maneuvering has a better flavor with different type of planes. Even though the WW2 has different speeds the maneuvers are similar to each plane. The damage dealt is a main aspect that really didn't sit well with me in terms of game play. It's an innovative (Having different damages at mid and long range) and probably historically accurate damage for the aircraft. However, it creates an imbalance in game play when your opponent has a better damage dealing fighter. Plus it can make the game really short after a couple of shots.

Also, in the WW1 you have to plan for 3 maneuvers and WW2 you plan for 1 maneuver ahead. Both has their pros and cons. The WW1 sometimes gives you a more unrealistic movement because you can't react to your opponents moves since you're stuck with the 3 choices you made. The WW2 gives you the ability to react to your opponents moves. Though our group found we lost track of movement at times where someone may have played 3 turns and others 2 (Had 6+ players going). I think it would've been better served to have it planned for 2 maneuvers ahead.