Sauron Expansion

By CPhily, in The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game

My group has played this game many times

won and lost.

But when I got the Sauron expansion, it got crazy

we have yet to beat Sauron

the closest we came, was not even really that close.

It's gotten to the point that no one wants to be Sauron, because

no one wants to be the first person to play as Sauron and LOSE

Has anyone beaten the game against Sauron?

We've tried just about every strategy, player combo we can think of and still

no victory.

Thoughts?

I've only played one game against Sauron, and I don't remember it being that bad. I think we (the hobbits) won, but don't remember for sure (it was a long time ago).

Unfortunately, my memories are vague enough that I can't give much advice.

I've only played a few (3 or 4) games against Sauron, because of the need for a 6th player. The only hobbit victory I recall was tense, with Merry, all alone in Mordor, dunking the ring after using it to get to the end of the main story line.

CPhily said:

It's gotten to the point that no one wants to be Sauron, because

no one wants to be the first person to play as Sauron and LOSE

I was undecided whether to buy this expansion until I read this...

I am still a bit afraid that the Sauron player may get bored while all the other players are discussing stategies - but if it is that hard to defeat him, it may as well be worth a try!

I have never play this expansion.

Only practice a little to see how it goes.

The problem is that you need a 6th player.

Actually i have not play the game with more than 3 players. It 's already difficult to find a third player...

I just got the base game + F&F this week myself (ordered them together, might as well only pay 1x shipping right?). Been running 2-3 hobbits solo so far. Over the weekend hope grab a game or two with a friend. Probably start with 1 hobbit each, if we lose (so far lost all my 2 hobbits games, though some barely), probably try 2+2 hobbits (like we play Arkham Horror with 2 investigators each). Not yet looking at the Sauron expansion, but I can see myself doing the same thing with that, one plays Sauron, other (since my gaming is pretty much 2-player max sad.gif ) would run 2-5 hobbits (don't know # would make the most balanced so far).

Dam said:

I just got the base game + F&F this week myself (ordered them together, might as well only pay 1x shipping right?). Been running 2-3 hobbits solo so far. Over the weekend hope grab a game or two with a friend. Probably start with 1 hobbit each, if we lose (so far lost all my 2 hobbits games, though some barely), probably try 2+2 hobbits (like we play Arkham Horror with 2 investigators each). Not yet looking at the Sauron expansion, but I can see myself doing the same thing with that, one plays Sauron, other (since my gaming is pretty much 2-player max sad.gif ) would run 2-5 hobbits (don't know # would make the most balanced so far).

I have never ordered something by FF. But with most things, you can combine shipping costs if you buy more items from the same seller etc

I have finish the game with 2 hobbits and without expansion( so only the 4 main boards.

I have also finish the game with 4 or 5 players with the friends&foes expansion.

and with a practice run in my own with the sauron &friend foes have i finish the game by defeating all enemie cards.with 4 characters. i won in helms deep. I have skip moria because i deafeated each enemie card.

--------

But the game becomes harder if you are only with 2 a 3 hobbits. especially if you use the expansions.

That's a real pain and difficult to beat..

Velhart said:

I have never ordered something by FF. But with most things, you can combine shipping costs if you buy more items from the same seller etc

Oh, didn't mean I ordered from FFG. Just meant that I ordered base + expansion in the same order (from my local game store), since I figured I'd be getting the expansion eventually anyway. If I'd waited to order the expansion a week or more later, after getting familiar with the base game, then would've paid shipping for 2 separate orders.

Velhart said:

I have finish the game with 2 hobbits and without expansion( so only the 4 main boards.

But the game becomes harder if you are only with 2 a 3 hobbits. especially if you use the expansions.

Haven't managed to beat the base game with 2 hobbits yet, couple of really close calls. Tried 3 hobbits to see if the game was beatable gran_risa.gif and it seemed much easier compared to 2 hobbit game. Mainly because with 3 hobbits you get all the Rivendell + Lorien cards and there are also more cards around in general, seem to be low on cards around the time I hit Shelob's or Mordor with 2 hobbits. Also, my Preparations with 2 hobbits always seem to come up triple dot llorando.gif . I want to beat the base with 2 hobbits, then 2-4 hobbits with Sauron at 12 before trying the expansion cards. Intro to my friend over the weekend with just base.

Dam said:

Velhart said:

Oh, didn't mean I ordered from FFG. Just meant that I ordered base + expansion in the same order (from my local game store), since I figured I'd be getting the expansion eventually anyway. If I'd waited to order the expansion a week or more later, after getting familiar with the base game, then would've paid shipping for 2 separate orders.

Velhart said:

Haven't managed to beat the base game with 2 hobbits yet, couple of really close calls. Tried 3 hobbits to see if the game was beatable gran_risa.gif and it seemed much easier compared to 2 hobbit game. Mainly because with 3 hobbits you get all the Rivendell + Lorien cards and there are also more cards around in general, seem to be low on cards around the time I hit Shelob's or Mordor with 2 hobbits. Also, my Preparations with 2 hobbits always seem to come up triple dot llorando.gif . I want to beat the base with 2 hobbits, then 2-4 hobbits with Sauron at 12 before trying the expansion cards. Intro to my friend over the weekend with just base.

I understand what you mean now.

That's a good choice to buy them together gui%C3%B1o.gif

Actually it sounds fair that it's become easier if you are with more hobbits than 2. How bigger the group, how stronger they are gran_risa.gif

Velhart said:

Actually it sounds fair that it's become easier if you are with more hobbits than 2. How bigger the group, how stronger they are gran_risa.gif

Well, I beat the game with 2 hobbits, Sauron at 15 today. Then took a stab at 3 hobbits, Sauron at 12. Moria looked bad, but Mordor was a hurricane. 3 Event tiles drawn total, 2 turns spent. Frodo went first, drew Sundial (next Event) tile, then Travelling tile. Played Shadowfax (Grey 2 Travelling) and Gollum (dice rolls were minor hindrances). Sam next, drew Travelling tile. Played Theoden (White 2 Travelling) then Elven Rope (Grey 2 Travelling). 11 of 13 Mordor Main Activity line done gran_risa.gif ! One ring use later (rolled a single dot), on to Mount Doom. Pippin never got a turn and had Faramir (White 2 Travelling) still in hand. Also had enough Shields to call Gandalf for Guidance. Poor Sauron never saw the ring coming partido_risa.gif !

Probably give 2 hobbits, Sauron 12 tomorrow a go, win or lose, play with F&F as well tomorrow.

Sam Gamgee said:

I've only played a few (3 or 4) games against Sauron, because of the need for a 6th player. The only hobbit victory I recall was tense, with Merry, all alone in Mordor, dunking the ring after using it to get to the end of the main story line.

Wow! Sounds like an *awesome* game! Could just picture Merry at the Green Dragon Inn after that, recounting his tale to other Hobbits, and getting drunk...

We've only played a couple times, usually with my younger brother. He insists on being Sauron. I can't honestly remember though who won (been a while, since he's moved out of state).

-shnar