Expandable game?

By JonHook, in Mansions of Madness

Being an FFG game, is it safe to assume that MoM will eventually be expanded? So that any monsters not introduced in the core set may be introduced in future expansions? And, as another thread has covered, I too hope the figures are usable in AH as well.

I only wish that, like AH, MoM had a solo game ability.

I think it's safe to assume that it will have expansions considering the amount of interest it's already garnered. However, it's a bit early to really be thinking about them yet. Right now, I just really want to get my hands on the base set.

It's tile and scenario based. This thing is made to be compatible with expansions.

They won't expand it unless it sells well.

Anyway, if you look at the product description page , it is clearly written " Included in the base game are five gripping scenarios" (emphasys mine), so, at least there is the intention to further develop this game

I don't think anyone around here would be surprised at the idea of FFG making expansions for one of their games. I agree it will depend on sales, but I think at least one expansion is a relatively safe bet.

Steve-O said:

I don't think anyone around here would be surprised at the idea of FFG making expansions for one of their games. I agree it will depend on sales, but I think at least one expansion is a relatively safe bet.

Safe bet? Remember Android and Middle Earth Quest?

Magic Pink said:

Steve-O said:

That's why most of the people posting have mentioned that it will depend on sales. Considering the following behind both Arkham Horror and CoC:LCG, it's fairly plausible that, yes, perhaps there will be expansions.

Magic Pink said:

Firstly, I did say it would depend on sales. Obviously a game that doesn't sell well won't see an expansion.

Secondly, "safe bet" does not equal "guarantee."

MoM seems like a game that could be easily expanded from what I know of it. Unique characters and monsters, modular board peices, etc. And since the Mythos is public domain it's not like FFG needs to worry about licensing fees, which have been an expansion killer in the past.

I don't have any idea how well Android sold, but it doesn't seem to be as big as games like Descent and AH. MEQ probably did sell quite well being connected to a recognizable name brand, but as a licensed product it would cost more to continue building on it than on an IP FFG owned, so maybe it just wasn't feasible.

Steve-O said:

MoM seems like a game that could be easily expanded from what I know of it. Unique characters and monsters, modular board peices, etc. And since the Mythos is public domain it's not like FFG needs to worry about licensing fees, which have been an expansion killer in the past.

I don't think all the stories are public domain, but I think a large quantity of them are. To be honest, I'm not sure which ones are and which ones aren't (if that indeed is the case), but I'm sure there's enough to pick from. In any case, I'm still waiting for the day where there is a game or expansion that revolves around any of the stories that happen around the world (i.e. Antarctica for "At the Mountains of Madness")

Since the LCG and Arkham Horror share a lot of stories and characters developed for Chaosium's RPG, and because Mansions of Madness was the title of a book of haunted house scenarios for the RPG, I can see them using them as a basis for their scenarios. FFG may have a licensing deal that gives them a lot of free reign.

To the OP, I can't imagine it NOT having expansions. Based on the overall positive reception here and at BGG this looks like a solid winner.

Android and Middle Earth Quest haven't seemed to stay in the spotlight the way Arkham Horror has been able to do. I wouldn't be surprised if the first expansion was announced before or soon after the base game releases.

The only possible issue I can see holding people up is that there may be limited replayablility with specific scenarios. But, I'm sure there will be plenty of fan based scenarios (like Descent has) to tide people over until the real ones come out.

Magic Pink said:

Steve-O said:

Middle-Earth Quest seemed to be designed in such a way that it was never intended to be expanded.

It was stated from the beginning that Android was going to be "light on expansions". (Plus, it was terrible).

Bleached Lizard said:

Magic Pink said:

Steve-O said:

Middle-Earth Quest seemed to be designed in such a way that it was never intended to be expanded.

It was stated from the beginning that Android was going to be "light on expansions". (Plus, it was terrible).

I didn't think it was terrible, but it is very difficult to get into the flow of coordinating your plots along with the plots of others while doing everything else on the board. It's definitely not a light game, but if you've got the right mindset it's a fairly decent game.

That being said, it sure was light on expansions alright.

After the large amount of expansions for Arkham Horror and how very long it takes to play with one or two, the previews of MoM make it look easier to tweak and add things to.

* Tiles & Scenarios - Really easy to do. Like the scenarios in When Darkness Comes. Possibly even with monster/cultist miniatures.

* Characters - Like Tannhauser, the idea of having a mini, a character sheet card and then the choices of cards would be pretty simple to add onto the game.

Both of these are nice expansions without too much complexity being added to the game and my guess for what we'll see. Personally I can't wait.

Brine said:

It's tile and scenario based. This thing is made to be compatible with expansions.

...and who knows? It might be possible to create your own scenarios, yes?

Tarot Mage said:

Brine said:

There's no doubt in my mind that you could create your own scenarios, but keep in mind that the clue cards are very plot based. I've been considering scenarios I'd like to do, but I'm going to wait until I've gone through the scenarios in the game. I'll probably end up making my own clue cards.

causeitwasfunny said:

Tarot Mage said:

Brine said:

There's no doubt in my mind that you could create your own scenarios, but keep in mind that the clue cards are very plot based. I've been considering scenarios I'd like to do, but I'm going to wait until I've gone through the scenarios in the game. I'll probably end up making my own clue cards.

Presumably you would have to put all the cards in sleeves so that you couldn't tell where the home-made ones are...?

Bleached Lizard said:

causeitwasfunny said:

Presumably you would have to put all the cards in sleeves so that you couldn't tell where the home-made ones are...?

Well, yeah, if I choose to mix and match. I was thinking 100% homemade cards.

(The quote function in this forum sucks... please look for the next post. gui%C3%B1o.gif )

causeitwasfunny said:

Tarot Mage said:

Brine said:

Maybe someone will make a MoM variant of the Strange Eons program.

el Igore said:

I think Thelric said it was *definitely probable". Fingers crossed!

Julia said:

el Igore said:

I think Thelric said it was *definitely probable". Fingers crossed!

+1 to that hope.

I think MoM will potentially have more need of Strange Eons than even Arkham Horror does given the RPG-like nature of MoM.