Arkham Pre-Painted Miniatures - Compatible?

By mmotomb, in Mansions of Madness

I've noticed a nice approach done by FFG with DungeonQuest having Miniatures compatible with other games from the same universe. You can use the heroes that comes with DQ in Descent, Runebound and Runewars games! So, I think the investigators in Mansions of Madness to be investigators we know from Arkham Horror games and thus we can use the Pre-Painted miniatures in Mansions of Madness as well.

I would also expect some Investigator cards for Arkham Horror IF they introduce new ones, just like DungeonQuest having hero cards for Descent, Runebound and Runewars. The bad thing about it is that they are not going to be pre-painted :(

yewsef said:

I've noticed a nice approach done by FFG with DungeonQuest having Miniatures compatible with other games from the same universe. You can use the heroes that comes with DQ in Descent, Runebound and Runewars games! So, I think the investigators in Mansions of Madness to be investigators we know from Arkham Horror games and thus we can use the Pre-Painted miniatures in Mansions of Madness as well.

I would also expect some Investigator cards for Arkham Horror IF they introduce new ones, just like DungeonQuest having hero cards for Descent, Runebound and Runewars. The bad thing about it is that they are not going to be pre-painted :(

I'm sure AH characters/minis can be MADE compatible, even if FFG doesn't do it themselves. And even if all the investigators in this game are recycled from AH, I'm sure there will be tons left over.

>"The bad thing about it is that they are not going to be pre-painted :( "

Actually for painters, that is a very good thing ! Can't wait to see the monsters. I hope 20 of the 24 monsters are not boring hooded cultists.

yewsef said:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/565592/arkham-horror-investigator-figs-included-in-the-ga

I would love to get my hands on some of the AH mini's without having to shell out $4 each individually. Included with a game would be far superior. However, having some completely new investigators that would be compatible with AH (just like DQ did for Runewars/Descent) could be even cooler.

I'm fine with them not being painted. I'm totally picking this up when it comes out, but I'd rather not shell out another $20+ for it. I would have been fine with the Arkham Horror figures being plain if it would cost a little less. As a result, I didn't feel like picking them up.

Well, I'm not a monster reading the strands of fate from beyond a vale of shadows (unfortunately), but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say those two investigator figures on the main MoM page picture look like exactly the same sculpts and the Mike McGlen and Jenny Barnes prepaints.

I would be suprised if they deliberately did something to stop them being interchangeable.

I think I'll have to buy this game for the unpainted versions alone personally. I like painting them myself.

And here's hoping our support brings many expansions with more of the AH investigators and monsters in mini form.

Amen! Bring on the monsters....

I wouldn't mind at all having access to unpainted AH minis...I even considered buying the pre-painted ones and then painting over them with more shading, depth of colour, etc., but that seems silly. I wonder if we can get unpainted minis somehow anyone found anything out on this front?

Zozimus said:

I wouldn't mind at all having access to unpainted AH minis...

Same goes for me. I MUCH prefer to paint my own minis. When those AH mini's came out I considered buying them but after seeing the price and the quality of the paint job, I preferred the cardboard playing pieces. As someone who paints GW's Warhammer minis on occassion, I can't see the attraction to the pre-painted market. Part of the pleasure of owning the models is the pride in creating your own finely painted collection. But each to their own, I suppose.

I've got a feeling that if there are expansions, we'll be seeing more unpainted minis. It looks like they are the same sculpts from the Arkham Investigator line. I think it would be awesome if we had access to cheaper, unpainted minis, but I doubt they'll be sold separately. Well, maybe they would sell more in a larger pack as an Investigator expansion. That I could see.

Dang it...every time I use a hyphen, it disappears when I post. It keeps looking like I write in run-on sentences. Anyone know how to edit these things? Bah.

Zozimus said:

Dang it...every time I use a hyphen, it disappears when I post. It keeps looking like I write in run-on sentences. Anyone know how to edit these things? Bah.

Use a different punctuation mark.

Would love to see FFG come out with a pre painted set for MoM

The Sundance Kid said:

If all the characters are the same from Arkham Horror, then they already have.

DoomTurtle said:

The Sundance Kid said:

If all the characters are the same from Arkham Horror, then they already have.

Well, they could do the monsters pre-painted. Personally, I'd rather save the extra cash and paint them myself.

I was hoping that FF would have used the Lovecraftian theme when thay announced years ago that they were moving into the collectible minis based game genre and was sadly disappointed to find out it was Mutant Chronicles instead. Now I'm overjoyed that they have finally decided to do a game that includes minis and if they are very smart they will have already work in a way for them to be usable for both of their games. From the looks of it the monster bases have a slot to fit some sort of card insert, I only hope it allows for the AH tiles to be iserted and visible as well. I sitll think that FF has an amazing opportunity to put out the moster figures in a new distribution format. I have been so burned out on buying collectible minis games but I would gladly buy some prepainted monster boosters as long as they are packaged with the needed tile or stat info for both games. Players could really come up with some great custom monster selections for AH, FF could introduce new monsters without having to put out full expansions and depending on how MoM rules work they could be used with new scenarios (maybe even a new scenario book alla Decent).

The market wouldn't be limited to FF board game players either. Call of Cthulu rpg players could find the figs useful as well. Having multiple markets for the sale of figs could only help the potential success of such an endeavor. Now if they decided not to do them in random boosters that would be fine as well I guess but then you run the risk of putting out packs that are more popular than others and get stuck w/ peg warmers much like what D&D minis recently went through.

Anyway, just my two cents

I think the concept of using the same Investigator miniatures unpainted in MoM was a stroke of genius. I really want the complete set but I just can't justify the $4.00 a figure. If they were made available unpainted at a lower price I wouldn't have hesitated to pick them up. I'm hoping that MoM sees expansions with a new batch of eight investigators each time. I'm happy to paint them up myself.

As for the Monster stands, an attendee at Arkham nights mentioned on BGG that the slot looks ready to hold the Arkham Horror Monster tokens. The larger stands have the same size slot, but it's offset to one corner with the same cutouts to show relevant stats.

I have heard that the investigator figures that come unpainted with MoM are exactly the same figures that are sold as prepaints for Arkham Horror.

I am a painter and enjoy painting my own miniatures but when I can find a decent pre=paint I jump on it because it means there is one less figure I have to paint.

I have some of the AH Prepaints and they are pretty good and at $4 each I think they are a bargain for a painted miniature.

The monster for MoM will be unpainted but that's no big deal to paint them up and monsters are always more fun to paint.

AsylumSeeker said:

Zozimus said:

I wouldn't mind at all having access to unpainted AH minis...

Same goes for me. I MUCH prefer to paint my own minis. When those AH mini's came out I considered buying them but after seeing the price and the quality of the paint job, I preferred the cardboard playing pieces. As someone who paints GW's Warhammer minis on occassion, I can't see the attraction to the pre-painted market. Part of the pleasure of owning the models is the pride in creating your own finely painted collection. But each to their own, I suppose.

The pre-paints are great for people like me. I like minis, used to paint minis, but don't have the time for the painting anymore. I barely have time for the games! I seem to be attracted to the prepainted stuff like Heroscape, AT-43, Tannhauser, Star Wars, Adventurers, City of Thieves, and now Arkham Investigators. I really hope they do the monsters, but I may find some stuff that will work, though...

docsavagepu8-2.png