Card cost limits

By player1908479, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

So, I'm just curious about what limits (if any) do you guys set yourself when it comes to the costs of the cards when building a deck?

Personally, I try to avoid any cards that cost more than 3, unless they do amazing things (Deep One Rising) or I'm playing Shub.

This way I get a relatively fast deck and don't have to be bothered by the fact that I can't put something into play by turn 2.

The current setup(s) I'm testing:

Agency/Syndicate

Agency:

2x Paul Lemond

3x Agency Medic/Hired Muscle/Freelance Occultist

3x Undercover Security

3x Unorthodox Psychologist

3x Government Exorcist

3x Shotgun Blast

3x Small Price to Pay

3x Behind Bars

2x Torch the Joint!/Panic

2x Beneath the Burning Sun/Dutch Courage

Syndicate:

2x Jack "Brass" Brady/Richard Finchington III

3x Patsy

3x Hard Case

3x Anarchist

3x Triggerman

3x Intimidate

3x Low Blow

3x Panic/Get On Yer Feet!

I tend to limit myself to about the same card costs range as you.

Shub - no real limits esp if I've included 3 Priestesses.

Hastur - tend to go no higher than Cost 3, and not much above 2, as this faction works so well in a fast rush / control role.

Syndicate - I'll often include some Cost 4s, but rarely anything higher. Syndicate isn't quite as fast as Hastur, and has more ability (discounting 70 Steps) to slow down your opponent, so I don't mind resourcing a turn or two longer to reach something like 2-2-4 or 2-3-4.

Yog - I generally play Yog along with Hastur as a 'milling' deck, so nothing above Cost 3 EVER. ie all you need are the Cost 2-3 control and hand discard cards, plus Blackmoor Estate / Carcossa, plus a few Cost 1-2 blockers.

Funny thing I saw yesterday. A friend of mine was using his mono Cthulhu deck with a lot of success despite having high-cost cards like hydra, ravager and rising. When this three hit the table it was scary to watch, ravager commits with rising on his own turn, rising dies, hydra puts him back into the game to trigger his response... Over and over again. Mi-Go couldn't really stop the Deep Ones on this night.

Manit0u said:

Funny thing I saw yesterday. A friend of mine was using his mono Cthulhu deck with a lot of success despite having high-cost cards like hydra, ravager and rising. When this three hit the table it was scary to watch, ravager commits with rising on his own turn, rising dies, hydra puts him back into the game to trigger his response... Over and over again. Mi-Go couldn't really stop the Deep Ones on this night.

Of course, Deep One Rising does NOT trigger when you Hydra it back.

DOR: "Forced Response: After you play Deep One Rising,
choose..."

And FAQ clarifies "play" as from hand and paying the cost. If the trigger were enters play or is put into play, then Hydra + DOR combo would work.

Oh my, I didn't really take a good look at him, you learn all the time :)

Yeah, I used DOR + Hydra combo in a game after getting SoA, then afterwards gave another look at it, 'cos it seemed just bonkers. My remover was Cthulhu, so essentially double-tapping off characters. They sac for Cthulhu, I sac DOR on my turn, Hydra it back to remove another character.