Special Order? Special Order Pool?

By LoKu2, in StarCraft

Actually I have no idea how it is used for! I have read the manual several times, and I do not understand.

Said that during the planning phase, the player can place any number of special orders no matter how many research and development modules built , then these modules are for?

Certainly, the player can place special orders, but as the example in the manual ( page 6: During the first planning phase, the player Jim Raynor places a special order on Helios. Although he is free to place the order, he will need to build a Research and Development module in order to execute the order ), then, that the special abilities of the order may be executed, I need a module? And if I do not have that module? The order is lost or is running as a standard?

Well, if put in the pool, I can always activate your abilities? Regardless of not having a module?

Make their comments to see if I can understand the purpose of this Special Order Pool!

Well, vanilla Starcraft allowed you to only place special orders if you had a special order module. This lead to two problems:

• The rule was kinda difficult to enforce, as occasionally people forgot whether their fellow player had the special order module at the start of the round already (only a problem if you have cheaters in your group)
  • It wasn't possible to plan ahead that "I'll build a special order module here first, and then execute this gold order over there"

I think that the special order pool goes to elegantly solve both those problems at once. Not that I'd have any source or official statement to that end, but I think it might be correct anyway, since I've seen both those problems discussed before.

Basically what the special order pool does is act as a counter of your used special orders for a turn.

You can place as many special orders as you like in the planning phase.

Whenever you reveal a special order, you first check your special order pool to see if you have used up your allotted uses based on your current (at the time of revealing) number of R&D modules vs how many special orders you have allready used in the current turn. If you have used your allottment, then you can only use the draw event card option. If you haven't used your allottment, then you may execute the order, and then place it in the special order pool so that it counts against your total for the turn.

I think there are a couple of reasons for this. There are some cards that will sometimes allow someone to possibly destroy a module or building from your faction sheet - I just can't remember if this could possibly happen during the execution phase of a turn.

An example to illustrate, in the first turn of the game you could arrange your 4 order stack to execute in the following order: Build, Special Build, Special Research, Special Mobilize (as you can see this is legal, just not recomended).

With the Build order you could purchase an R&D module so that you could use the following special build order.

When you reveal the special build, you do your special order pool check - you have less special orders used than you have R&D modules - so you can execute the special build order. Otherwise you would be forced to use the "draw an event card" option.

If you were then to build a 2nd R&D module with the special build order, then when you reveal the Special Research order, you would do the check again, and becuase you are under the R&D module limit, you could execute the special research order.

Next you reveal the Special Mobilize. You do the Special order pool check and because you have allready used 2 special orders this turn (current contents of the special order pool) and currently only have 2 R&D modules, you are not below your limit and you must choose the "draw the event card" option instead of executing the special mobilize order.

Hope you found this helpfull!

The observation is very illustrative, ultimately gave solution to my question!

lengua.gif