Use your copy?

By CptLysander, in Deathwatch Collectors Edition

As the proud owner of one too many collector's edition books that just sit on the shelf without use I started to think.

I'm never going to sell these books, their monetary value in the future while it may increase will never increase past their personal and nostalgic value to me. I had the previous version of the Warhammer Fantasy collector's book sit on my shelf having never once been used while an entire edition of the game came and went rendering the book now permanently a shelf decoration.

So the other week I dragged my Rogue Trader book out of its containment vessel and brought it to the game. It felt good honestly. Where does everyone else stand on use these beautiful pieces of work to their gaming table?

I always use my collectors copies. Theres no point having them if you dont show them off

I use my collector's editions. I don't however loan them around, I have a regular edition copy as a loaner.

Of course I'll use it! :)

The real question is would you not use an Archeotech Pistol if you had one? I know I would! Sure it could be damaged but the item itself is too cool to let it just sit on a shelf imo. I will use my book and love every moment of it. Good Hunting and For the Emperor!

Agreed! I play the War of the Ring and looks great. Will play Dust Tactics as well. I tend to get the collectors editions because I don't have the time paint the minis anymore. Plus they look cool as hell displayed.

They can be cool - no doubt - but also somewhat impractical - which is what ALL of my fellow gamers tell me whenever I drag out my 5th Ed Warhammer 40K rulebook for tabletop encounters, and have to fold back the gatefold sleeves, then flick through the pages for information, trying to keep the bulk of the book cradled and off the game table itself, by which point my opponent has already found the rule in question! - sometimes a cheapy copy is the only option for quickly finding stuff out.

I would point out that using a copy can give you the look of a true fan of the game, but it can also be a slight hazard at a game, especially one which involves the consumption of food and drink during the game. I mean accidents happen and you might spill on your (in the case of DW) 200 somethin dollar gaming collector's edition book and thus possibly ruin it.

With that said, I'd still use the copy for gaming just because it'd feel good to have something nice like a collector's edition at the gaming table.

Same as everybody, I use mine for personal use and have a regular copy for everyone else.

I use my collectors copies but I tend to run most games at my house and keep food and drink well away from my books. I think I would actually buy a regular copy though if it meant I would have to travel to play a game.

I love my DW Collectors but no one else gets to come anywhere near it. IF they want to play Space marines in the RT game we have, they can buy their own **** copy. :P

I pay for enough of the books we use as it is.

Wuffy said:

I love my DW Collectors but no one else gets to come anywhere near it.

Yea, thats pretty much my attitude toward these things. Keep your greasy fingers off!

just got my copy and i can't wait to use it. happy.gif