M10 Tank rule question "Open Top"

By Lynyrd, in Tide of Iron

Hi!

The new american tank M10 from the expansion "Normandy" get a special rule:

"Open Top: This vehicle is vulnerable to suppressive attacks"

I think only the mortar crew is an additional weapon that benefit from this rule, but how does ist work?

After a suppressive attack is the tank lightly/heavily damaged or pinned/suppressed?

I can not found it in the rule book.

Thanks for help.

I guess it would follow the same sort of pinned/disrupted rules given that it has a specific rule saying that it is vulnerable to suppressive attacks. Though I question routing a tank destroyer just on principle.

sloejack said:

Though I question routing a tank destroyer just on principle.

I am toying with the idea of using a house rule to limit the effect to disruption, as I also do not see the crew leaving the cover they are in (i.e. the M10) to run into the fire which scared them in the first place... happy.gif

Routing an M10 would also not be easy since it provides a cover (armor) of 4 for the crew. Which raises the question if said cover (armor) can be reduced by flamethrowers because the top is open...

KlausFritsch said:

Which raises the question if said cover (armor) can be reduced by flamethrowers because the top is open...

Then again, the armor of hlaftracks is not affected by flamethrowers, so I would guess that applies to Open Top vehicles as well.

KlausFritsch said:

Which raises the question if said cover (armor) can be reduced by flamethrowers because the top is open...

The flamethrower reduces cover, not armor so armor dice still get rolled when defending from flame attacks

KlausFritsch said:

sloejack said:

Though I question routing a tank destroyer just on principle.

I am toying with the idea of using a house rule to limit the effect to disruption, as I also do not see the crew leaving the cover they are in (i.e. the M10) to run into the fire which scared them in the first place... happy.gif

Routing an M10 would also not be easy since it provides a cover (armor) of 4 for the crew. Which raises the question if said cover (armor) can be reduced by flamethrowers because the top is open...

Would you want to stay inside of a armored vehicle if shells were raining down on the inside of it, igniting your own anti-tank ammo? sorpresa.gif This is the big difference between a fully armored and opened top AFVs. M10 crews would withdraw or disengage the enemy if they took fire to avoid being cooked alive in their own tanks. The tactic employed by M10 crews was to attack from cover and by surprise, and then quickly withdraw to avoid enemy anti-tank fire. Their motto was "Seek, Stirke, and Destroy". The Germans also had opened top tank-destroyers like the Marder.

Hi!

I got a official answer from FFG:

The unit would be pinned/suppressed if hit by a suppressive attack.

I hope that this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka
Fantasy Flight Games
Design and Development

I Think it is clear :-)