newb asking about meta-game

By JayDe, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hi All,

I've been plaing WH: invasion for most of it's life, I love it and am super familiar with its meta-game and how new cards play into the game. I read some lovecraft the other day and then looked into this LCG, it looks super interesting. Although I know it has been running for a long time.

>>> Have I missed the boat on the meta-game for CoC? I noted the top decks from the last comp' are all very, very similar and there are a LOT of expansions. PS: Are the factions in the H.P. lovecraft stories anywhere? or are they mostly tailored for the LCG? <<<

JayDe said:

Hi All,

I've been plaing WH: invasion for most of it's life, I love it and am super familiar with its meta-game and how new cards play into the game. I read some lovecraft the other day and then looked into this LCG, it looks super interesting. Although I know it has been running for a long time.

>>> Have I missed the boat on the meta-game for CoC? I noted the top decks from the last comp' are all very, very similar and there are a LOT of expansions. PS: Are the factions in the H.P. lovecraft stories anywhere? or are they mostly tailored for the LCG? <<<

You have hardly missed the boat on this game. I would be more worried about getting into A Game of Thrones since that is one LCG that does have a lot of expansions to catch up to.

There is only 4 more asylum packs for Call of Cthulhu than there is Battle packs for Warhammer: Invasion currently. Plus, you have one more deluxe expansion than us so I would say the disparity is pretty minor. The Call of Cthulhu LCG is only a bit older than Warhammer: Invasion is. Its the collectible version of Call of Cthulhu that is a lot older.

There are some asylum packs which are hard to get a hold of currently though. (Namely Ancient Horrors, Mountains of Madness, early asylum packs of the summons of the deep cycle). Some of the better cards for those decks you refer to are found in those asylum packs, but not all.

They are scheduled for reprint, but they have been in the schedule for months now so I would expect them to be shipped sometime after christmas, when FFG have recouped their money from funding all the new titles released this year. Its just a guess though.

The factions are loosely based on Lovecraft's stories (among others who shared in that setting). The Blackwood Detective Agency (which is analogous to Lumley's Wilmarth Foundation or Dr. Who's Torchwood agency) , The Syndicate (organized crime ring), are not ideas of Lovecraft's per se, but are contrived by FFG and do fit the setting even if not 'canonical' (if anything in the setting could ever be considered 'canonical' since Lovecraft fervently urged his fellow writers to share in the setting, as he shared in theirs).

Many cards might be considered a bit outside of what faction you might consider them to be in, but overall they fit quite well into the background while still maintaining some semblance of game balance.