A Couple RtL Homebrew Rules (Feedback Please)

By Arkade, in Descent Home Brews

So I had two homerules I wanted to toss out and get some feedback on.

The first one is designed specifically to counter an issue my group had with RtL in the past: My min/max-mad players spent more time trying to decide where to go to train than they did in dungeons. To counter this, I've agreed to try a variant where players can train any Trait or Skill in any town (with the exception of Health and Fatigue upgrades). I figure the towns will feel different enough with their different Building Ratings and special abilities that I don't need to limit what they train, as well. I did notice, though, that some of the Skills my players are likely to rush for are typically only trained at the Secret Masters, and I might keep those Skills alone limited to the Masters.

The second rule addresses a concern of mine. I was looking at playing the Sorcerer King Avatar, but I have serious concerns about his Upgrades. I mean, he already has eight mirrors protecting him at 30 Wounds w/Ironskin apiece. And then I can tack 100 extra wounds and Surge-negation onto the Avatar proper for a measly 10 XP? That seems ridiculously overpowered to me, and I'm the one playing him! I was wondering if this stuff had been errata'd at some point, and I'm just not seeing it anywhere?

If it hasn't been, I was looking at going with one of two ideas: Replacing the 100 extra Wounds effect with an effect that grants Undying was my first thought. My second thought was more involved: I basically want to mod the Beastman Lord's Final Battle, and combine specific cards from the two upgrade decks into a custom deck:

• Gata the White Death

• Snipers

• Arcane Energies

• Shadow Clones (and, in this case, no mirrors in his final battle)

• Wraithform

Any thoughts or referrals on either of these ideas would be appreciated.