£47.39 price tag is giving me second thoughs

By The Thing In The Attic, in DungeonQuest

Yeah, I can't believe this game is that much!

I'm having serious second thoughts about investing money in this game

My question is is it worth it given it's limited replayability?

I watched a video review from a guy who loves this game to death but even he said after 12 plays he was looking for an expansion to boost up the replayability of the base set.

I would have snapped this game up at £30 or under but I have too much other stuff i'm tied into such as Talisman and Tide of Iron that also have expansions forthcomming. I think the pricing strategy on this bad boy may put off many Brits, i't dearer than a brand new x box game, or even two roleplaying books. I noticed other games such as Defenders of the realm also being way over priced for what you get, that one retails in the U.K at £59.99. this is rediculous.

so is it worth my money?

Agree the UK price is rediculous, i dont think its worth that much . . . but ill be getting it anyway as i loved the GW version preocupado.gif

The Thing In The Attic said:

Yeah, I can't believe this game is that much!

I'm having serious second thoughts about investing money in this game

My question is is it worth it given it's limited replayability?

I watched a video review from a guy who loves this game to death but even he said after 12 plays he was looking for an expansion to boost up the replayability of the base set.

I disagree with the opion that you can only play this game 12 times then you are left wanting more. No game is the same and you can play solo.

My play group loves this game becuase of play time and entertainment value of this product.

Well worth the price here in the US, but I do understand if your money is tied up in other games. This game adds a different flavor for our group and brings lots of death to the table.

12 plays in a row? Over a month? Six months? How often does one play a game where it burns them out in 12 plays? I've never understood that.

I am happy with the game and would have shelled more $ to have a game that is really playable solo. Great Game FFG.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people find DQ repetitive after a while (12 plays sounds kind of low, but I guess different people have different boredom thresholds. I mean, the number of tiles is static, and once you've gone through the various encounter decks a couple times you've basically seen the whole game.

That said, the primary entertainment value for me in a game as cut-throat brutal as this one is watching my friends get killed and trying to outlive them. That doesn't really get old. =)

It depends on the person really as to how fast this game will get old. I've played it multiple times since it's launch and can understand that cards to become slightly repetitive. That being said the random drawing of tiles causes the game to change every time I've played it giving it a unique style. Furthermore I've found this game to be shorter then other FF games but that's the price you pay for entering a dungeon with a dragon ( Shorter usually because everyone dies extremely fast.) Is it worth your 47.39 in pounds? Yes, because the quality of the game alone is worth that. The figs, board, cards, and tokens are made with fantastic detail and quality. Is the play worth the price tag? If you're looking for an enjoyable game with 3 friends and you're not wanting to dedicate an entire night to one game, then yes it is worth the 47.39. Other then that, if your reasons do not match with what I've just stated, I'd wait before purchasing it. Then again, we all know the price tag will never so if you choose to wait, you'll likely never get it.

I live in Estonia. This game will be at stores in my country maybe at Christmas.

At FFG store it costs 60$. Delivery with USPS from US to Estonia costs 41$. Total of 101$

Is it worth paying that much for DQ? For me, yes, it is. I haven't played in old DQ, but month ago I read the rule book of new DQ and decided to buy it even from the FFG store, because at a first glance this game looks amazing. Reading all posts at this forum I understand that DQ is more that amazing and I will not get dissapointed.

Sorry for my english.

I too think it is a lot of money and will limit myself to certain games from now on...This is more expensive than Chaos Old World and doesnt have anything extra?!?...so why the increase in price?

I hope im wrong but im seeing a connection here as I know of another table top company that increases the price regularly, for profit rather than customer care.

I am prepared to argue this out with anyone as £47 was a surprise to me too...far too much and dont give me that crap on 'the person'...

To the basic average working class person, small change from £50 for a medium sized game is a hell of a lot (god knows what the next Runewars expansion will be).

Toast514 said:

Is it worth your 47.39 in pounds? Yes, because the quality of the game alone is worth that. The figs, board, cards, and tokens are made with fantastic detail and quality.

So where is the difference between this and Chaos Old World?

The board is 50% bigger in CinOW...it also has more figures (about 30 I think)...Im still puzzled to why the extra 30ish% increase in price?

This also goes for the Talsiman expansions...the corner pieces are roughly £30 where the main was roughly £35ish.

If anyone has a legitimate arguement in favour of the customer (as it is the customer why FFG are becoming popular) I will apologise and stand down from this debate

There's a great website in my country that only sells one game a day. This may sound weird, so let me explain; it's a different game every day, and you can only buy the game they're selling that day. (Apart from a few exceptions that are always available).

Now the catch is, these games are always a lot cheaper then the normal retail price. Last week I picked up Tannhäuser for €46.99 instead of the normal €69.95. Yesterday I saw Android on there for €29.99(!) instead of €59.95. That's one of the big (or medium-sized if you will) FFG boardgames almost for the price of one of the small Silver Line games!

And today I picked up Dungeonquest for €42.99 instead of €59.95.

They only ship inside Belgium as far as I'm aware, tho if they shipped abroad the shipping costs would probably even out the price I suppose.

meggypeggs said:

Toast514 said:

Is it worth your 47.39 in pounds? Yes, because the quality of the game alone is worth that. The figs, board, cards, and tokens are made with fantastic detail and quality.

The board is 50% bigger in CinOW...it also has more figures (about 30 I think)...Im still puzzled to why the extra 30ish% increase in price?

This also goes for the Talsiman expansions...the corner pieces are roughly £30 where the main was roughly £35ish.

If anyone has a legitimate arguement in favour of the customer (as it is the customer why FFG are becoming popular) I will apologise and stand down from this debate

You can get Chaos in the Old World and Dungeonquest online for 38.99 equally. There is no difference hence there is no price difference. FFG is nothing like GW so that is a terrible comparison. Had GW reprinted it you would have paid $100 for it and there would have been a limited print run.

Baenre said:

meggypeggs said:

Toast514 said:

You can get Chaos in the Old World and Dungeonquest online for 38.99 equally. There is no difference hence there is no price difference. FFG is nothing like GW so that is a terrible comparison. Had GW reprinted it you would have paid $100 for it and there would have been a limited print run.

In regards to GW I know there isnt a strong comparison as you are taking my qoute out of text, my point being when a company gets bigger it cares less about its customers by rising prices. GW was just an example of such a company.

And well done for getting your game equally for 38.99 but in the UK it is listed between £42 to £47 without P+P on some of them as the guy who posted this stated...So you get my point of the price increase now for a game which is supplied in the same size box as Chaos?

As for your point on $100+ for limited print runs with GW, FFG have limited Ed releases too if you investigate your previous comment a little further...

I Think that FFG no matter what game they publish you get good quality board pieces and equipment, Talisman under its original publist had paper playing pieces, no plastic models, and very little support for the game, when that first came out it was expensive aswell !

meggypeggs said:

Baenre said:

meggypeggs said:

Toast514 said:

In regards to GW I know there isnt a strong comparison as you are taking my qoute out of text, my point being when a company gets bigger it cares less about its customers by rising prices. GW was just an example of such a company.

And well done for getting your game equally for 38.99 but in the UK it is listed between £42 to £47 without P+P on some of them as the guy who posted this stated...So you get my point of the price increase now for a game which is supplied in the same size box as Chaos?

As for your point on $100+ for limited print runs with GW, FFG have limited Ed releases too if you investigate your previous comment a little further...

First look at My points, then games, then friends (some being designers for FFG).

Now having seen that.

I agree with you. Right now it is rough on me, as I watch all my favorite companies (many that I have friends working for) are becoming more and more "corporate*. To name a few. Marvel, Blizzard, FFG, and Disney. All to me have lost their ways. Regardless I still support them and voice my opinion, but that is all any of us can do. It is upsetting I know, but I would rather see those companies thrive than fail?

Using the word corporate is not justified and can be misinterpreted. So I will describe how I see corporate. It is like the middle man winning the lotto and then shutting out those that he used to care about now that he is rich. Or it is like the classic ugly girl that gets a make over and then shuns her old friends to hang out with the brats.

I used to get in so many debates because people would argue over my term for "greed" being wrong. To me greed is not taking the money you earned and not sharing it with those that need it. To me greed is when you take more than you need at the expense of others. Profit is determined by what you NEED and not what you WANT. Greed is when you you TAKE more than you NEED.

So if it cost FFG less to make Dungeon Quest than it did to make CitOW then Dungeon Quest should cost less. But because of BS marketing schemes many companies can get away with it. For some dang reason whether it is politics, religion, or industrial, whenever one hits the top they tend to forget the original reason for making the climb. (I remember what FFG was like when it was struggling with using Disk Wars to keep it alive long enough to produce their Final Fantasy known as "Twilight Imperium 3rd")

My 2 cents. But FFG haven't fear I still support ye' and the products that have made me more friends and contacts than if ye' dint exist.

Some great points...

I too like yourself will support them and buy there products, however I dont know for how long I will if there products remain the same size and prices continue to rise...

A quick thought on Chaos and DQ price differences. Grab your Chaos game and look at the components. How much original artwork (aside from backgrounds/etc), I mean ARTwork is in the game? The chaos cards don't have any, the figures don't have any, heck, the chaos powers don't really have anything that's not background.

Now grab your DQ game. Multiple artworks on the tiles, each game deck's cards, and so forth. Art's very expensive for games. Also, notice how many cards DQ comes with vs. Chaos. I've found the more cards their games come with the more likely the price is going to be up there.

And, there may be different licensing fees associated with the DQ line than there was with Chaos as one is an original game developed by FFG, while DQ was an old game 'updated'.

And, if all of that's not accurate and it really just is higher, expect to see a price increase on Chaos at some point down the road to bring the two on a par.

I love the miniatures, but shame about the price tag.

keltheos said:

A quick thought on Chaos and DQ price differences. Grab your Chaos game and look at the components. How much original artwork (aside from backgrounds/etc), I mean ARTwork is in the game? The chaos cards don't have any, the figures don't have any, heck, the chaos powers don't really have anything that's not background.

Now grab your DQ game. Multiple artworks on the tiles, each game deck's cards, and so forth. Art's very expensive for games. Also, notice how many cards DQ comes with vs. Chaos. I've found the more cards their games come with the more likely the price is going to be up there.

And, there may be different licensing fees associated with the DQ line than there was with Chaos as one is an original game developed by FFG, while DQ was an old game 'updated'.

And, if all of that's not accurate and it really just is higher, expect to see a price increase on Chaos at some point down the road to bring the two on a par.

*Grabs both games and compares components*

You're RIGHT!!

Both licenses are from same company (Games Workshop). One isn't a repeat so half the work isn't already done. One has more original art that the other (most DQ art is from other Terrinoth products). One has larger board with more artwork. One has larger rule book. One has more plastic.

Don't try painting this any other way. Dungeon Quest cost less to make than Chaos in the Old World hands down. I won't allow you to unjustify this with miss leading points.

Amazon Germany sells this for 43 Euros (= 37.50 Pounds). Maybe you get less out of the box than other FFG games but considering that the original version is much harder to get, more expensive, divided into a core game plus one expansion and with components that are not as high quality as the new version its still a good buy imho (plus you get extra characters for other FFG games).

Curator said:

Don't try painting this any other way. Dungeon Quest cost less to make than Chaos in the Old World hands down. I won't allow you to unjustify this with miss leading points.

Yes, heaven forbid I use my lack of internal knowledge of FFG and how they arrive at game prices to counteract your lack of the same knowledge.

But, rant on, I'd hate to stop the nerdrage train.

I have to agree with Acurator I'm afraid...

And all these size board games I figure are to be this price (£48)...Cadwallon CoT should be proof!

...same quality, same pieces, same whatever...and a £5 rise.

meggypeggs said:

Baenre said:

meggypeggs said:

Toast514 said:

You could always get a nice AMerican friend to buy games for you and ship them to you? I have done this for a bunch of friends when we all go in on a big buy at once and with a certain level of bought product i get it free shipping an additional 10% discount. The point is that there is ALWAYS a way to get something for less than MSRP if you do a little leg work and are willing to wait.

I will agree that FFG has put out limited edition runs of games but they differ from GW in that that isn't the only print run of the game you have to buy to get the game. There's regular print runs of the game as well so that those who cannot afford a limited run can still get the base game.

Curator said:

It may be true that half of DQ's artwork is recycled from other Terrinoth games and the rules are built on stuff that was (mostly) written in the first edition, but there's still the fact that DQ has more components. Chaos is a card game, cards are all you need to print. DQ has cards too, and it has the board, the tiles and the other tokens which have to printed out and die-cut on their sprues, as well as all the other packaging. Plus the plastic figures, which are notably NOT recycled from previous Terrinoth games, as has been done in the past.

What they save in recycling previous material, they pay out in physical production costs. The fact that a particular image was used in other games doesn't make it use up less ink this time.

Plus there's the fact that all board games of this size are priced the same. Fair or not, it shouldn't be a surprise. If you don't like the price, no one is forcing to you pay it. You can move on to something more befitting your wallet's capabilities. Toodles.