FAQ update thread

By Thundercles, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Parathion said:

Will all the GLoAQ answers that are currently missing in the FAQ be included in the new one? I suggested it last time, but it was not done. It is always a hassle to check both FAQ and the GLoAQ thread for relevant answers.

I don't know. (I suspect FFG won't go for that). Besides which, the thread would still be needed for new Answered Questions.
At worst we could ask for a new stickied GLOAQ thread with the first post the accummulation of the last GLOAQ thread. At least then you could just open the first page and do a word 'find'.

Well, we could extract all the relevant Q&As from the GLoAQ thread and simply send them to FFG with the request to include them in the FAQ, right along with the set of new questions - there is no extra work for FFG included, if we assign the Q&As to the appropriate sections.

Parathion said:

Well, we could extract all the relevant Q&As from the GLoAQ thread and simply send them to FFG with the request to include them in the FAQ, right along with the set of new questions - there is no extra work for FFG included, if we assign the Q&As to the appropriate sections.

Agreed, and I've made the extraction (cutting out some unnecessary parts and breaking multiple Qs into single Q+As where it seemed appropriate. Organisation will come later.

I can't see the GLOAQ disappearing as a resource though.

Corbon said:

Parathion said:

Agreed, and I've made the extraction (cutting out some unnecessary parts and breaking multiple Qs into single Q+As where it seemed appropriate. Organisation will come later.

I can't see the GLOAQ disappearing as a resource though.

Why not? It's terrible design to have two FAQs, especially given FFG's lack of internal consistency in the past. Plus having only one place for Q&A postings means less work for them. Other than tradition, I can see no reason not to fold the two together and let the GLoAQ fade away. If it's job is done, let it rest. :)

James McMurray said:

Why not? It's terrible design to have two FAQs, especially given FFG's lack of internal consistency in the past. Plus having only one place for Q&A postings means less work for them. Other than tradition, I can see no reason not to fold the two together and let the GLoAQ fade away. If it's job is done, let it rest. :)

Because there will almost always be a need for a place to put 'new' or 'rediscovered' rulings that need some sort of official backup but haven;t made it to the FAQ.
We'll be trying, of course, but I don't imagine that the next FAQ will cover all possible issues.

SoB in particular still has a long way to go before being 'fixed' properly, even to the level that RtL is. I'm sure there are still level, rumour or keep issues that haven't come to attention yet simply because not many people have played them yet.

If FFG were willing to re-release the FAQ every time a new question came up, then the GLOAQ wouldn't be needed, I agree.
But they aren't, and I can't see that changing, so the GLOAQ will still have it's place, however annoying that might be.

It's easily doable.

1) Convert the FAQ to a php file instead of a pdf.

2) Put the rulings in a database.

3) Have a page where the rules guy(s) update the FAQ.

4) Instead of answering rules questions that are emailed in, answer them in the FAQ if they're not already covered by the rules. Then reply with a link to the FAQ answer.

You cut out the middle step, eliminate the chance that someone can give an official ruling that goes against a prior official ruling, and have the opportunity to add in all sorts of bells and whistles. It could track users by a cookie (if they've got them turned on) and highlight all new or changed rulings by checking a last-modified date. It could be editable on-the-spot by anyone who's logged in and has editing rights. Users could register for email updates whenever something changes.

Crowbarring dynamic data into flat files is 20th century technology. Why continue dancing with dinosaurs when modernizing will make things easier, cheaper, and more customer-friendly?

And yeah, I know you're not the guy who makes the decisions. I'm just shouting into the wind with my own personal pet peeves (the fallibility of duplication of effort and poor user experiences excused by "it's how we do it").

So, is there any work regarding a FAQ update going on behind the scenes?

If not, what is necessary to get the process going?

Parathion said:

Not a lot right now.

We are waiting further response from FFG Anton, who promised to look into a subforum, is my understanding.

I have sent some SoB questions to em and no answer, ever =S

Corbon said:

Parathion said:

Not a lot right now.

We are waiting further response from FFG Anton, who promised to look into a subforum, is my understanding.

Yup - I am just waiting on a reply for the new forum still... I will email him again this week - see if we can't get this sub-forum rolling!

We should have the sub-forum up today. Got a message from Anton.

I think we talked about moving a few of the items in at a time - so as to not overwhelm... but rather than 30-40 threads - we'll move over like 5 or so a week. :)

Excellent! the sub-forum has been made. I made the "purpose" post to hopefully keep it de-cluttered.

Start moving the topics over as soon as you like from the Google Group. Shoot me an email Corbon if you want - I have time tonight I can move some over.

The first three threads are up in teh FAQ discussion sub-forum.

Only three to start with because two of them are biggies!

1. Issue of Whether the Revenge is sunk automatically during a TPK result in SoB. This is a fairly minor and easy issue, basically a yes/no question.

2. Odd shaped monster movement. this one was hashed out fairly thoroughly in this main forum several months back, but additional comment are still welcome.

3. Wall/door definitions. We've never had any. Do we need them? Read it and comment!

Corbon said:

1. Issue of Whether the Revenge is sunk automatically during a TPK result in SoB. This is a fairly minor and easy issue, basically a yes/no question.

2. Odd shaped monster movement. this one was hashed out fairly thoroughly in this main forum several months back, but additional comment are still welcome.

3. Wall/door definitions. We've never had any. Do we need them? Read it and comment!

Three more threads up for FAQ discussion in the subforum.

4. Terrain - mostly clarification of the new terrain in SoB, but also an attempt to get the term 'terrain' clarified in general.

5. The Burning Bay/Sea SoB level. minor problems, unless your OL is clever and then they are major issues.

6. Tentacles, the Kraken and the Void. This is a big one for SoB players.

Its been generally disappointing at the low amount of commentary so far. I can't believe that the initial offerings can't be improved at all!
Perhaps no one cares any more - most SoB players have probably given it up as a lost cause (most issues are SoB related because it has many problems and older expansions have already had most of their issues cleared up), and everyone else has their own satisfactory house-rules for things like 'terrain' and 'large monster movement. ???

Most of your write-ups seem comprehensive and well thought-through to me. Take the silence in most threads as approval, not as a lack of interest.

Corbon said:

Corbon said:

Its been generally disappointing at the low amount of commentary so far. I can't believe that the initial offerings can't be improved at all!
Perhaps no one cares any more - most SoB players have probably given it up as a lost cause (most issues are SoB related because it has many problems and older expansions have already had most of their issues cleared up), and everyone else has their own satisfactory house-rules for things like 'terrain' and 'large monster movement. ???

Have yet to play SOB so I have had nothing to add to those points of discussion.

Corbon said:

4. Terrain - mostly clarification of the new terrain in SoB, but also an attempt to get the term 'terrain' clarified in general.

5. The Burning Bay/Sea SoB level. minor problems, unless your OL is clever and then they are major issues.

Three more threads up - this time nothing unique to SoB!

7. Crystal of Tival timing - lets clear this up completely and explicitly

8. Guard + Mimic - a very minor FAQ amendment to close a loophole

9. Healing skills in Advanced Campaigns - Earth Pact, Ran's Mark. Do they confer similar benefits as Ispher and Red Scorpion's specials?

Corbon said:

Corbon said:

9. Healing skills in Advanced Campaigns - Earth Pact, Ran's Mark. Do they confer similar benefits as Ispher and Red Scorpion's specials?

Three new threads.

10. Silver/Gold start Advanced Campaigns - can the OL spend his starting XP the same way the heroes do?

11. 'In Dungeon cards outdoors - DotMG and Animate Weapons. Do they work in encounters?

12. LOS in own space - clarifying that LOS obstructions in own or target space don't count.

A few more comments would be nice, even if just to approve (pity there is no thumbs up button like BGG).

Corbon said:

10. Silver/Gold start Advanced Campaigns - can the OL spend his starting XP the same way the heroes do?

11. 'In Dungeon cards outdoors - DotMG and Animate Weapons. Do they work in encounters?

12. LOS in own space - clarifying that LOS obstructions in own or target space don't count.

Three new threads.

13. Daze and Bash - how do they interact?

14. Fleeing an Island level (onboard ship) - back to home port, or stay where you are?

15. SoB trails with no encounter marker - are they misprints, or safe trails?

Tahlia receives movement points as a result of her ability (it's the same wording as always), so she can perform movement actions with them. Note that if she opens a chest or a door or whatever, that's okay. It simply gets resolved and then (once her interrupt action is done) the OL's turn continues as normal. Think of it sort of as her getting an Advance instead of just an interrupt attack (but she doesn't REALLY get an Advance, so no munchkining combos).

But no, she can't spend fatigue on extra movement, as it isn't her turn. Items like the ring of quickness don't give her extra movement because again, it isn't her turn. OLs beware, however, as she can use her interrupt movement to go through a glyph to town, or even to lurk in town with a guard order, only to pop back through into the dungeon on the OL's turn (remember, only 1 trip through the glyph per turn, though). You will need to watch your monsters around a guarding Tahlia. In fact, several of the heroes in AoD will force you to change your strategies. Hey, why should the heroes be the only ones to have to do that?

could someone please elaborate on this GLoAQ entry? this has me utterly confused, since the normal ruling would be to either restock or go back to the dungeon. how can tahlia even HAVE a guard order in town? how can she go back to town, as the guard isn't her turn? i'm guessing this works only if she already was adjacent to the glyph at the START of the turn she declared the guard?

Corbon said:

14. Fleeing an Island level (onboard ship) - back to home port, or stay where you are?

Three new Threads...

16. Divine Favour - the promised FAQ of never less than 1 never appeared...

17. Armour and deep water - variable armours, and armour bonuses from non-armour items

18. Wild Vortex - the one where the current drives the Revenge into the rocks on turn 1!

Corbon said:

17. Armour and deep water - variable armours, and armour bonuses from non-armour items

18. Wild Vortex - the one where the current drives the Revenge into the rocks on turn 1!

Three new threads...

19. Round ending and simultaneous ship/wind movement - important for SoB ambushes where wind current operate at the end of a round, but the usual round sequence is changed, and how to move ships when they are moving differently but 'simultaneously'

20. Rapid Firing after a Dark Charm - this was a 10 page thread that got very abstract!

21. Are fatigue tokens a limit - AC parties can easily exceed 24 combined fatigue...

Corbon said:

19. Round ending and simultaneous ship/wind movement - important for SoB ambushes where wind current operate at the end of a round, but the usual round sequence is changed, and how to move ships when they are moving differently but 'simultaneously'

20. Rapid Firing after a Dark Charm - this was a 10 page thread that got very abstract!

21. Are fatigue tokens a limit - AC parties can easily exceed 24 combined fatigue...

Three new threads...

22. Exiting the cage when there is no room - a minor problem with SoB level 60

23. Hustle giving MP - the wording is moves extra spaces, should it be gain MP?

24. Necromancy. What does the monster look (stat/abilities) like under control of the hero - mostly, tough not entirely, applicable with Advanced Campaigns where monster can have many upgrades - which, if any, upgrades carry over and which do not?

Corbon said:

1.. Issue of Whether the Revenge is sunk automatically during a TPK result in SoB. This is a fairly minor and easy issue, basically a yes/no question.

24. Necromancy. What does the monster look (stat/abilities) like under control of the hero - mostly, tough not entirely, applicable with Advanced Campaigns where monster can have many upgrades - which, if any, upgrades carry over and which do not?

Three new threads....

25. Double Training at Secret Masters - Can you train W/F during eth same week as you train skill/traits?

26. Focused out Power cards and Reinforcing - is a powerd card focused out of the deck still available for reinforcing purposes?

27. Immunity to Avatars (and Lts) - can a hero be immune to just a part (eg Ironskin vs Sorcery/Pierce), and should Lts count too.

1.. Issue of Whether the Revenge is sunk automatically during a TPK result in SoB. This is a fairly minor and easy issue, basically a yes/no question.

25. Double Training at Secret Masters - Can you train W/F during eth same week as you train skill/traits?

26. Focused out Power cards and Reinforcing - is a powerd card focused out of the deck still available for reinforcing purposes?

27. Immunity to Avatars (and Lts) - can a hero be immune to just a part (eg Ironskin vs Sorcery/Pierce), and should Lts count too.

Three new threads...

28. Is scrub empty? - for the purposes of playing space traps and also ending movement.

29. Ship Upgrades - clarification on the botched answer in the last FAQ

30. Large Monsters moving and Terrain - (different to large irregularly shaped monster movement) a new attempt to resolve the perennial howler on pg2 of the FAQ. This one has been botched so many times in the past that it needs YOUR input to see if we can get it right for once!