Jaghatai Khan joining battle

By formynder, in Horus Heresy

Hy everybody !

Last night I played HH and we had a problem with rules. Actually my opponent did cause I'm pretty sure I was right...

He attacked me with RELENTLESS ATTACK order, which allows to attack even from activated area. He has 2 origin areas with units near the target area and he wanted to join battle with Jaghatai Khan (Jaghatai was 3 areas from origin areas)

BUT Jaghatai was in an ACTIVATED area.

My opponent wanted to join battle but I said he could not, because the area where Jaghatai was, was activated, prohibiting any move.

This is what my opponent said :

- The RELENTLESS attack allows me to attack from activated area, Jaghatai special ability is a sort of "distant attack" so his area is considered as an origin area !

- I said ti him : No ! Jaghatai must move to join an origin area (that is his special power), like flying units do. So his area (not adjacent to the target area), is NOT an origin area, otherwise his ability would be writen like this "Jaghatai can launch distant attack from a not adjacent area".

My opponent then said : The "joining battle" rules for flying units (and Jaghatai) are in the combat chapter, and not in the "movement" chapter. So it is not a movement !!!!

- I said (in a friendly way but a little bit irritated) it was dishonesty.

He finally won the battle, without using Jaghatai, but telling me his interpretation was as good as mine...

I need other opinions !!!!

Thanks !

Miles

PS : Excuse my bad english, I hope you understood my point...

Hello ?

Am I alone lost in the warp ?

I would say JK can't join in from an activated area, even if the order allows the Imperial player to attack from an activated area. JK isn't attacking from the area he starts his move from, he would "only" be joining the battle at that point.

Dam said:

I would say JK can't join in from an activated area, even if the order allows the Imperial player to attack from an activated area. JK isn't attacking from the area he starts his move from, he would "only" be joining the battle at that point.

That's what I thought. It seems logical. He must move to join the fight and can't move from an activated area (even if the order allows to attack from an activated area).

Thanks for your answer.

Hmm, I had the exact same thing happen. I allowed him to activate in that case. I figured he could do it even though he was in an activated area. To my way of thinking because he was within 3 zones and that card allows activated attacks he was good.

Hi M8s,

As I'm reading the FAQ at the moment I found the answer.

Q: Can Jaghatai Khan use his special ability if his area has already been activated?

A: No.

So no way to use his ability in that case.

javascript:void(0);/*1293329230486*/

Linked the FAQ, last page, left side middle.

?? HF playin.

Hi all,

I am kinda split about this because it is indeed like stated in the FAQ, He Cannot attack from activated area. This however is held true for any unit so the question is like stated if a card that allows activated units to partake in the battle includes him. Once again as stated is his getting into battle a "movement" or a part of the battle.

I would argue that is definately reasonable that he could join in given these specfic circumstances. I don't think it unhinges any balance in the game and I am generally more understanding to "positive" interprations of rules as long as they don't obviously break the game or unhinge the balance.

Tough one this one!

The Q&A does in fact say:

Q: Can Jaghatai Khan use his special ability if his area has already been activated?
A: No.

Which to me means Khan like any other unit cannot join a battle or do anything when in and activated zone. However, the RELENTLESS ATTACK order, which allows units to attack even from activated area allows any units in activated areas to join the battle. It is an exception to the normal rules for doing things when activated. To say Kahn can't when any other unit that could normally do so can seems to be a little bit selective. I don't believe the Q&A or the rules actually cover this particular occurrence.

There seems to be conflicting information here about exactly which rule to apply, and both seem to be valid. I would suggest in this situation treat it as a 'house rule' and make sure you've agreed on which version you're going to use before the game starts.

Glory to Chaos...

I think the faq pretty much covers al scenarios. If the origin area is activated then you need the Relentless Attack order. However, even if you have Khan within 3 areas, he cannot join the battle if he is in an activated area. Were he in a non-activated area though, you are in for a pile of trouble coming your way.

I would interpret it as meaning that Relentless Attack allows even activated areas to be origin areas for the battle. The origin areas however, do need to be adjacent to the target area. If JK's area cannot be marked as an origin area, then I would say follow the FAQ in that if he is in an activated area, his rule cannot apply.