Doom Base set $60, expansion $50 ... back to life?

By Stormtower2, in Doom

I just found out about this boardgame today! I was browsing around BGG after someone reminded me about the old Space Hulk days, and found out that there was a similar boardgame.

And now, after reading through some of the posts in this forum, it seems that Doom the boardgame may be on it's way out? It was on sale for Christmas ...

... but now the prices are back up. What's up with that??

A few of the reviews at BGG say that the rulebook can use a bit of tweaking/fixing. I'm used to that ... but I'm also wondering if FFG has bothered to fix it in the latest edition of the boardgame. Anyone know?

There hasn't been any changes made to this game in years. I have a feeling that FFG has let their license with Id fizzle out, so they can probably sell what they have in stock but can not develop nor print anything new.

Fortunately, they've kept this forum up, unlike some of their other games that they're not supporting (*cough* Marvel Heroes *cough*) so the community can try to continue to breath life into this game. It's a fun game and I wish it had more support. The best we can do as a community to keep it alive is create fan made scenarios. Steve-O has recently compiled a list of all the missions that are available online at www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp (Calling All Scenarios thread) and that can give you some more hours of gaming time. Also, I'm working on an Advanced Campaign, using Descent's Road To Legend as a model, but it's very slow going.

If you want to create your own scenarios, I highly recommend a tool called TileSystem, found at members.cox.net/shawnriordan/tilesystem.htm . It's very easy to use and very easy to customize if you want to create your own tiles (which I've had to do for the Advanced Campaign).

-shnar

In my humble opinion, it would probably be a smart move for Id to allow FFG to continue making and expanding the game. As it is, the boardgame may be better than the video game!

I don't think it's a question of "allowing". I have a feeling Id would have no problem if FFG wanted to make more products off their Intellectual Property. The question is cost, demand, and profit. Most likely every product FFG makes with Id property is money FFG has to pay Id. This means less profit in a game like Doom than say in a game like Descent. Also, FFG probably feels that the sales are too low/weak for Doom to justify any kind of expansion. Really too bad since there are a lot of things they could add (I'm finding tons for the Advanced Campaign :) ).

-shnar