Running Away

By DanDave, in Cadwallon: City of Thieves

I have a rules question

While playing this weekend my group got into a little argument about the movement rules when a character is running away after battle. This was during round 5 when the Alarm was sounded in the city. My character was 3 spaces away at the end of my turn from leaving the city. Another players' character was 5 spaces and had a militiaman in the space in front of them (not blocking my path). At the beginning of round 7 during their turn the other player moved the militiaman into the space in front of me to block my path (good strategy). I moved my character on that round to attack the militiaman and won!! To block the other person from getting to the exit next turn I wanted to move the losing militiaman to the exit square.

Here is the question:

Does a losing character HAVE to move 3 spaces if moving three spaces is possible (I could of moved the character in another direction three spaces but wanted to block the other players path), or can you choose a direction you want to move the character and move them as far as possible (only 2 spaces in this case)?

DanDave said:

At the beginning of round 7 during their turn the other player moved the militiaman into the space in front of me to block my path (good strategy). .

:

Sorry this was supposed to be at the beginning of round 6.

On p.17 of the Rules it states a Thief may not attack an militiaman,so if I'm reading this correctly your Character could not have attacked anyway.

As to the running away part "The loser runs away 3 spaces.
He is moved 3 spaces by the winner of the
fight If it is not possible to move 3 spaces,
he must move as far as he can possibly go
As he runs away, he may cross a space occupied
by another character, but he must
end up in an unoccupied space A fleeing
character cannot move onto the same space
more than once during this movement"

I read this as yes the Winner chooses the direction & if 3 spaces are not possible in that direction then it can be less if thats as far as possible.

OD

Wow.. We completely missed that rule. Even after you pointed it out it took me a second to find it on the page. Thank you, that does change a few things happy.gif

Thank you as well for the clarification of the running away rule. That is how I read the rule myself.

DanDave said:

Wow.. We completely missed that rule. Even after you pointed it out it took me a second to find it on the page. Thank you, that does change a few things happy.gif

Thank you as well for the clarification of the running away rule. That is how I read the rule myself.

Great Minds gui%C3%B1o.gif

Old Dwarf said:

On p.17 of the Rules it states a Thief may not attack an militiaman,so if I'm reading this correctly your Character could not have attacked anyway.

As to the running away part "The loser runs away 3 spaces.
He is moved 3 spaces by the winner of the
fight If it is not possible to move 3 spaces,
he must move as far as he can possibly go
As he runs away, he may cross a space occupied
by another character, but he must
end up in an unoccupied space A fleeing
character cannot move onto the same space
more than once during this movement"

I read this as yes the Winner chooses the direction & if 3 spaces are not possible in that direction then it can be less if thats as far as possible.

OD

I am not sure you are playing this right. I read that rule to mean that if there is any direction possible that a character who lost a fight could move 3 spaces then they must be moved the 3 spaces. You shouldn't be able to pick a direction, and then say that there is no spaces available that are 3 spaces away. The first sentence in the rule is "The loser runs away 3 spaces," not "The winner chooses which direction the loser will run, and the character is moved 3 spaces away, if possible."

You must move the loser 3 spaces away if it is at all possible, regardless of the direction that movement would take the character.

Bagz

Well UB,this may need some official clarfication.I think if it's up to the Winner to move the fig.then he picks the direction-it provides for a little strategy.It seems logical to me that if your thief wins he should be able to send the Militia fig. in any direction that benefits his gang.

OD