Non moving lines

By Raxonika, in Battles of Napoleon

I don't understand why troops in line cannot move. This is not historically correct. Some Nations of the era formed and attacked in lines and others (eg the Austrians in the later period) had lines advancing in front of columns.

Is the 'non moving line' rule just for this French / British set or will this rule be altered in the future to accommodate the different tactics used by other nations ?

I think a house rule is easy to implement here: an infantry unit in line formation can move but is disordered at the end of the movement.

Better still have them able to move one hex and do a die roll to see if they disorder. The die roll needs to take into account the quality of the troops and the terrain. Most trained troops of this era could do so without issue.

Both good ideas, but they should have been in the rules to start with this is a weakness and inaccuracy - a shame really. Where were the play testers and historians !

Lord Mykal said:

Better still have them able to move one hex and do a die roll to see if they disorder. The die roll needs to take into account the quality of the troops and the terrain. Most trained troops of this era could do so without issue.

I love that idea. A straight morale roll (succeeding on a 3+ for regulars) with a -2 for moving up or down crests should suffice.

Yes some of the real historical does and don'ts seem to be taken into account. This is a major aspect of the type of warfare.

Use the QUALITY rating!

We are going to allow lines to move only on Attack or Defence Orders and make it fairly easy based on unit Quality - Throw a D10 - Adjust with modifiers - Needing the minimum score indicated - If score is less then the unit moves but is Disordered.

Quality of unit / Throw needed to move in good order

*/6+ **/5+ ***/4+ ****/3+ *****/2+

Modifiers:

-1 Up or Downhill

-2 Over hedge, wall, woods,orchard, redoubt,sandpit

+1 UGC or CC in hex with unit

We find that more realistic and historical :-)