Help in Free Companies

By Pedro Lunaris, in Battlelore

People, probably this question has already been answered, but I just couldn't find it. I'm going to play Core Box's 9th adventure right now, "Free Companies on a War Footing". The map show 2 goblin archer's on England's right wing, but there is just one Goblin Archer company on the Core Box. I'm thinking probably one of the units is wrong, it must be a militia unit, but which one?

Thanks for the help.

Hey Pedro, I only show one Goblin archer. The other archer is a human (on Pennant's left wing). Otherwise the other 4 Green-Banner Goblin units are comprised of two Infantry and two Lizard Rider units.

Yes, awayputurwpn is correct. My map only shows one Goblin archer on the English right flank (as seen from the English side). The Goblin archer is located in the woods hex, to it's right are the 2 Lizard riders and to the acrher unit's left are two green Goblin sword units.

Hope this helps and have fun. Battlelore is a fantastic game!

b_fortner7 said:

Yes, awayputurwpn is correct. My map only shows one Goblin archer on the English right flank (as seen from the English side). The Goblin archer is located in the woods hex, to it's right are the 2 Lizard riders and to the acrher unit's left are two green Goblin sword units.

Hope this helps and have fun. Battlelore is a fantastic game!

That is so very strange. In my map, the unit to the left of the Goblin Archer unit you are mentioning (as seen by the english side) is another Goblin Archer unit!

But, well, that also answers my question: the unit in the woods is an Archer, the unit to it's left is a Goblin Swords and to the left of that is another Goblin Swords.

Thank you two very much!

This is a (known) missprint.

I currently do not remember what edition / language is affected. However, in my german first print run edition there are two goblin archers as well. I think it was cleared up somewhere official, for sure it was cleared up here on the forums in one of the older threads.

Polarstern said:

This is a (known) missprint.

I currently do not remember what edition / language is affected. However, in my german first print run edition there are two goblin archers as well. I think it was cleared up somewhere official, for sure it was cleared up here on the forums in one of the older threads.

Υοu are correct. It is a misprint that was corrected later as it seems. Nothing serious though. Moreover, scenario 9 is a bad scenario and the reason why Cleric was called broken if I remember correctly. I'm not 100% sure for this. Is it the one with a lot of forest tiles?

I don't really remember why but there is a really bad scenario between scenarios 6-10 of the basic game. I believe that it was #9. Maybe I remember it as bad because it just had a misprint so don't trust me on this. Just to be sure, take a level 3 Cleric and see what happens. lengua.gif

Before I jump in here, FragMaster, I assure you I have no personal vendetta against you gran_risa.gif But I do have a few (several?) BattleLore and C&C topics that I have strong feelings upon, and BS and "the Cleric is broken" (see the numerous posts on BGG, FFG, and DoW forums...) are two of them. If anyone wants to push my buttons, a few of the others are: "it makes no sense that units that have lost figures battle with the same number of dice as those that haven't" and "it makes no sense that a unit right next to an enemy would not attack" and several others (yup, it is several ;) ).

FragMaster said:

Υοu are correct. It is a misprint that was corrected later as it seems. Nothing serious though. Moreover, scenario 9 is a bad scenario and the reason why Cleric was called broken if I remember correctly. I'm not 100% sure for this. Is it the one with a lot of forest tiles?

I don't really remember why but there is a really bad scenario between scenarios 6-10 of the basic game. I believe that it was #9. Maybe I remember it as bad because it just had a misprint so don't trust me on this. Just to be sure, take a level 3 Cleric and see what happens. lengua.gif

Yup, it is scenario 9 that you are thinking of. However, just because the Cleric has the potential for kicking major ass on this one doesn't make it broken, or even bad (though this is a subjective end to arrive at, and often "broken" is used in a subjective sense as well - I won't argue with opinions, though I will discuss the reasons for having them :) ). Much like scenario 8 (A Burgundian Chevauchee) before it, this is a scenario tailor made for the Cleric. Typically when two players first encounter this scenario one or both (and often it is both ;) ) take a level 3 Cleric. If both take one, it is highly likely that at some point during the game either Forest Frenzy or Hills Rumble (and just as often River Rage ;) ) will make an appearance. Often players are shocked after the play. Often the reaction is "broken". It is not broken, those are how the cards are intended to be played. On a terrain heavy board, they are brutal, yes.

If both players take the Cleric, often the game will come down to who is more fortunate with the Lore card draws. Often, but not always. I have played this scenario many, many times. I have a natural aversion to the cleric that is much deeper than "broken nature spells", and I figured that most players, experienced or not, would take a level three Cleric, so it is here that I quickly came up with my favored war council of Level 2 Commander, Level 3 Wizard, Level 1 Rogue. A very good choice in general, but especially good against the Cleric as it reduces the chances off the bat of those cards even being in the deck. Plus it increases the chances of Foiled! or Dispel making their way into the non-Cleric players hand, etc, etc.

Rather than rehashing all of my "why I don't consider the Level 3 Cleric broken, even on Scenario 9" material, just want to interject here that I find Scenario 9 to be quite fun, and I relish playing it against a Level 3 Cleric. Usually leads to a very tense (in a good good way) and exciting game.

And, yes, as pointed out before, there was a misprint in the original adventure booklet with the base game (I think corrected in the second [and final?] run). Here is what it should look like:

Scenario9snapshot.png

Alright, no time this morning to discuss Battle Savvy, but there will be time later ;)

toddrew said:

Before I jump in here, FragMaster, I assure you I have no personal vendetta against you gran_risa.gif But I do have a few (several?) BattleLore and C&C topics that I have strong feelings upon, and BS and "the Cleric is broken" (see the numerous posts on BGG, FFG, and DoW forums...) are two of them. If anyone wants to push my buttons, a few of the others are: "it makes no sense that units that have lost figures battle with the same number of dice as those that haven't" and "it makes no sense that a unit right next to an enemy would not attack" and several others (yup, it is several ;) ).

I too feel that Cleric is fine as it is and there is no need to change anything. All I'm saying is that this scenario is the culprit of the whole "Cleric is broken" situation. I actively fought against this back in the day at DoW's forums and I remember you doing the same!

As for the other buttons, I also agree with you on both:

"it makes no sense that units that have lost figures battle with the same number of dice as those that haven't"

It makes sense. It just requires a different way of thinking.

"it makes no sense that a unit right next to an enemy would not attack"

Again, BattleLore has many elegant mechanics and a simple computer game mindset {which people that say this quote possess} won't help understand some of its intricacies. Not attacking while being next to an enemy could mean many things while in combat.

Unless of course you mean the situation where a unit is taking damage {thus is engaged in melee combat} and does no damage back at all with a 0% chance of doing damage due to NOT rolling dice because of lack of support {otherwise known as non-Battle Savvy rules}. Here we have a problem. This indeed makes no MEDIEVAL COMBAT WARGAME sense. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Oh oh, I sense a button was just pushed. Evacuate the premises!!! Toddrew is going to explode. lengua.gif

Hey, I'm glad this help post turned out to be useful as it generated some conversation.

I do like the way you guyes see things and the way you conduct an argument, even the few times that I did disagree with you. This is not one of them, though. :]

I also would like to say that my experience in the game is resumed to 4 months having (not always playing) the Core Box. Yesterday Scottish Wars arrived! Courtesy of Noble Knights. But I did not play it yet for wanting to experience all Core Box scenarios. I'm eager, though.

I'm waiting for a larger CoolStuffInc order with 5 other expansions, CtA, HoHo, T&C, Epic and Heroes. I'm already trying to think a way to save money to order the rest, specially the ones out of print which I can put my hands on.

Oh... sorry. That was not what I was meant to be talking about.

The game yesterday was fun, but not as much as the one I posted about the Burgundian Chevauchée because my opponet did not have so much fun. I played with the French side, with a Commander Lvl 3 and Cleric Lvl 2 (and de Giant Spider). My opponent went for Commander 3, Warrior, Thief and Mage 1, favouring diversity and not checking the outstanding Hill Rumble and Forest Rage cards (I was also thinking about the possibility to heal my troops).

Turns out I won 6 to 2 and much more because of taticts than the Lore cards. I did manage to use some useful Lore, that made the difference, but so did he. What made the greatest difference, however, was a combined attack that I did twice: use the Giant Spider first, abusing the 4 hex movement and favoured positions (on forest or above hills) and, already with a Lore Token on it saved up, unleash a Web before the attack (that can be done, can't it?). That meant that a Flag would also score a hit (or the second, if the target was Bold), and that, if Bold, he could not Battle Back. After the Spider, I used what troops I could to keep attacking the same units (the first time a Red Mounted unit, the second the same plus Red Infantry).

I did had a lot of luck with commaning cards and some luck with the dice. My opponent was not so fortunate with his cards, though not unfortunate, and rolled almost as well, but I guess he kept focused on maintaining his units with support too much, and he could, one time or the other, be a little more aggressive.

I only got Hills Rumble as my last Lore Card, and that just finished the show (I actually didn't use one Battle Back of 4 dice against a 1 figure unit just to use the card). Afterwards, I saw that Forest Rage and Healing Mists (I'm not really sure about the names) were sorted out of the Lore Deck.

I do think it is a neat scenario. The environment is just so complex! It turns a lot better to the side with high level Clerics, and must be so aggressive with Clerics on both sides, but I do think that you can counterbalance the effect as toddrew described. And, to add something to the argument, I think it must be a really interesting setting if both sides agree not playing with Clerics, and, maybe, even taking Cleric's Lore Cards out of the Lore Deck...

toddrew, is that a way of playing BL online?

Pedro Lunaris said:

Yes, Pedro, it is. Happy to get you started playing there, if you are interested. Played a game with a guy in France this morning :) Fabulous, fabulous thing.

Feel free to email me: t_rewoldt at hotmail.com (is that still necessary, writing email addresses like that in order to remove bot bait? Did it ever work? Well, even if it isn't/doesn't, the habit has been ingrained...)

FragMaster said:

As for the other buttons, I also agree with you on both...

I knew you were too wonderful of a human being for us to be at odds all the time ;) There's hope for you yet on the BS issue gran_risa.gif

toddrew said:

FragMaster said:

As for the other buttons, I also agree with you on both...

I knew you were too wonderful of a human being for us to be at odds all the time ;) There's hope for you yet on the BS issue gran_risa.gif

lengua.gif

toddrew said:

Pedro Lunaris said:

Yes, Pedro, it is. Happy to get you started playing there, if you are interested. Played a game with a guy in France this morning :) Fabulous, fabulous thing.

Feel free to email me: t_rewoldt at hotmail.com (is that still necessary, writing email addresses like that in order to remove bot bait? Did it ever work? Well, even if it isn't/doesn't, the habit has been ingrained...)

sent you one just now.

I don't know about the e-mails on the forum, but I always used [a] for @. it just seems safer.

Pedro, just a quick note to say I had received your email and sent you a reply on Sunday.

toddrew said:

Pedro, just a quick note to say I had received your email and sent you a reply on Sunday.

Man, I'm so sorry! I received your email and started to write a reply and then I realized I had no idea of my availability for this week!

But I got your message and I'll be writing soon! Then you can teach me how you old schools play the game and I'll see if luck goes with beginners or not. :]

Cheers!

PS: I'm in GMT-3