Community input

By Laughmask, in Grimm RPG

HAZUH! My plan has....not worked. It was disappointing for me to check the forum over the past few days and seeing no new ideas, with the exception of a couple (you know who you are). For all those that don't have accounts, which I'm assuming there many due to the amount that have viewed previous threads without replies, it takes maybe a minute to make an account and I'm sure you've had ideas that would be beneficial. Even if you don't think it's a great idea, it could easily spark an idea in others to take it to the next level. So here's what I'm thinking, in attempt to get the forums a little more active again. Would you guys take part in online roleplaying "scenes"? Maybe not a whole campaign as that could easily get very complex and annoying to manage, but just a simple situation you wish to post for others to post how they would react to it. This will allow some to go "ooooh i bet no one would think of doing this! *begin typing maniacly*" and others to go "ooooh i bet no one has experienced this in a game! *begin typing maniacly*".

Basically:

• Hey, here's an encounter I was thinking about in my campaign - <insert idea here>. OR
  • Hey, so this is how I would react to your encounter - <insert reaction here>.

So, would this be free-form roleplaying or a play-by-post?

I'm gonna assume free-form means just post your actions regardless of previous posts, and play-by-post is working off of others' actions and posts? If I am correct in those assumptions I think it might just be overall easier to free-form it, but it'd be pretty cool if we could a play-by-post going. Perhaps maybe state your archetype before anything to get a feel for your character. Mind you, I have no idea how well this will work out... but here's maybe something to test:

Whether entering the Grimm Lands for the first time or struggling to survive in your adventure, one thing is for certain - you are not where you remember falling asleep. The stinking alley in which you've woken up is littered with bums and the like. The exit is gated off and guarded, while farther down the alley is a simple dead end. The clothing of the bums isn't composed of the rags you would expect though, rather, they are quite nice and almost of royal quality. But they all share one thing in common, an empty coin purse that they clutch as if their life depended on it. Not long after you've woken up, a horse and carriage can be heard pulling up near by and a conversation between the guards can be made out. You can piece together a bit of what the guards are talking about including "packages to be picked up", "new merchandise, and young ones at that" and "supposed to be a wealthy buyer coming today." As the sound of the key ring begins to jingle, it is now time for you to make a move.

My Outcast takes a quarter out of his pocket and holds it high, showing it to all the bums. Once I have their attention i lob the quarter through the air, seeing the lights glinting off of it as it tumbles and begins to roll out the gate between the guard's feet.

Laughmask said:

I'm gonna assume free-form means just post your actions regardless of previous posts, and play-by-post is working off of others' actions and posts? If I am correct in those assumptions I think it might just be overall easier to free-form it, but it'd be pretty cool if we could a play-by-post going. Perhaps maybe state your archetype before anything to get a feel for your character. Mind you, I have no idea how well this will work out... but here's maybe something to test:

Whether entering the Grimm Lands for the first time or struggling to survive in your adventure, one thing is for certain - you are not where you remember falling asleep. The stinking alley in which you've woken up is littered with bums and the like. The exit is gated off and guarded, while farther down the alley is a simple dead end. The clothing of the bums isn't composed of the rags you would expect though, rather, they are quite nice and almost of royal quality. But they all share one thing in common, an empty coin purse that they clutch as if their life depended on it. Not long after you've woken up, a horse and carriage can be heard pulling up near by and a conversation between the guards can be made out. You can piece together a bit of what the guards are talking about including "packages to be picked up", "new merchandise, and young ones at that" and "supposed to be a wealthy buyer coming today." As the sound of the key ring begins to jingle, it is now time for you to make a move.

FFRP means roleplaying without true rules. One person, playing their own character, would post 'Frodo the halfling stabs at the Nazgul'. Then the fellow playing the Nazgul would say 'The Nazgul king is mostly unharmed, and slashes at Frodo, embedding a bit of the cursed blade in the Ringbearer'. You should probably look it up, I'm not explaining it very clearly.

PbPs are just games like Pathfinder or D&D being played over the internet.

Oh, D&D, Pathfinder and obviously Grimm. Any RPG can be played in a PbP.