second expansion?

By ClanNatioy2, in Doom

Ive heard people say that the second expansion for Doom was almost complete what was supposed to be in it?

The game is fantastic though. The first expansion is one of the best expansions to a game I've ever purchased. The only thing I could say this game needs if a few scenario books. With each book having it's own 10 or so scenario campaign.

I was just curious about the second expansion. so fill me in if you know anything, thanks.

I don't think FFG ever publically announced the contents of the second expansion. Only that it was almost ready to go when licensing disputes put the kibosh on it all.

It's a safe bet we would've seen more of the monsters not covered in the existing material though. Wraiths, maybe Bruisers, etc. Maybe that Sergeant tank guy or the Guardian.

I've never heard anything about a second expansion. Would be nice, since there are plenty of Invaders not yet made, however it will never happen probably due to licensing between FFG and Id. It's up to us fans to keep this game alive.

There are quite a few custom scenarios, some rather good. Steve-O has recently compiled a list ( www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp ). I'm working on an "Advanced Campaign" expansion, using the Descent Road To Legend/Sea of Blood as a model, but I'm about 18 months into it and only maybe half-way done (taking a lot of time that I just don't have to put into it), so will be a while before it's ready.

-shnar

Steve-O said:

I don't think FFG ever publically announced the contents of the second expansion. Only that it was almost ready to go when licensing disputes put the kibosh on it all.

Licensing disputes? Who's fighting over what?

I don't know any particulars, but I'm guessing there was a time frame with the license, i.e. x-number of years to produce board games, and that's expired and FFG doesn't feel the need nor market demand for renewing the license and still make a profit. Too bad, cause there is nothing like this game out there, and would be nice to see additional materials.

-shnar

I know I'm now veering off topic ... but ...

Would the lack of a license mean that FFG can't print / reprint more copies of the existing base game / expansion?

Really depends on the license agreement, but my guess is yes. I feel that there are two reasons we aren't seeing Doom reprints atm:

1: The demand just isn't there and reprinting would probably cost FFG more money than they would make
2: License may not allow them to reprint (or they may have to pay Id to reprint, so even less profit).

-shnar

It's not going to happen...

I mailed with Thaadd, regarding new dice, and she said:

"The game is out of license, which means we can't produce more materials (or games)."

Red_Dawn17 said:

"The game is out of license, which means we can't produce more materials (or games)."

How disappointing that we will never see any new material in any shape or form for this game

TheKingOfBlades said:

Red_Dawn17 said:

How disappointing that we will never see any new material in any shape or form for this game

Not true. You will never see new material from FFG for this game. We the fans can keep this game alive and thriving! Look at the list of custom missions, and I'm having a blast at trying to get an Advanced Campaign together (admittedly it's taking forever, but still fun ;) which will have a ton of new components.

Good to hear though that our assumptions were correct, that the license has expired and FFG opted to not renew it (most likely because sales were down). I'm kind of surprised they're able to sell their backstock, but that was probably part of the original agreement (i.e. they probably paid Id for everything they produced upfront, then were able to sell all that product for as long as it took, even past the end date of the license agreement).

-shnar

Well, we don't know for sure, but, I hope they do. I hope this time, this expansion will have: Sabaoth (Sgt. Kelly/ Animal/ Tank) Guardian of Hell, New Marines, and Sgt. Kelly. MAN, THEY NEED TO RELEASE THE 2ND EXPANSION PACK NOW!

Rotneybot said:

Well, we don't know for sure, but, I hope they do. I hope this time, this expansion will have: Sabaoth (Sgt. Kelly/ Animal/ Tank) Guardian of Hell, New Marines, and Sgt. Kelly. MAN, THEY NEED TO RELEASE THE 2ND EXPANSION PACK NOW!

We do know, actually. Thaad even confirmed it, according to Red Dawn17's post.

The license between Id Software and FFG has expired and FFG is no longer allowed to print Doom-related materials. This has been the case for several years now. If FFG intended to renew this license, they would've done it already. The game is dead and done as far as official material goes, you can either accept that or you can spend your own time and emotional distress fervently wishing for something that's not going to happen.

There's still fan-made material, such as Shnar's Advanced Campaign which I, for one, am greatly looking forward to. But that's all. You want a Sabaoth mini, you'll have to make it yourself. (If you actually do this, please be kind enough to share the source parts and a little how-to for the rest of us, as I'd rather enjoy having one, too.) =)

It's a pity, I really like Doom Board Game... But well, there is always Descent...

Steve-O said:

We do know, actually. Thaad even confirmed it, according to Red Dawn17's post.

The license between Id Software and FFG has expired and FFG is no longer allowed to print Doom-related materials. This has been the case for several years now. If FFG intended to renew this license, they would've done it already. The game is dead and done as far as official material goes, you can either accept that or you can spend your own time and emotional distress fervently wishing for something that's not going to happen.

There's still fan-made material, such as Shnar's Advanced Campaign which I, for one, am greatly looking forward to. But that's all. You want a Sabaoth mini, you'll have to make it yourself. (If you actually do this, please be kind enough to share the source parts and a little how-to for the rest of us, as I'd rather enjoy having one, too.) =)

Sad but true. Doom is a great game with a very well builded setting. Unfortunately, we won't see any other expansion. Worst: I'm experiencing troubles in order to find the first expansion. On this site results unavailable, and it's difficult to find it in other stores, even on ebay. llorando.gif

Blast you, Id, why can't you let FFG continue for free?

Fingolfin80 said:

Sad but true. Doom is a great game with a very well builded setting. Unfortunately, we won't see any other expansion. Worst: I'm experiencing troubles in order to find the first expansion. On this site results unavailable, and it's difficult to find it in other stores, even on ebay. llorando.gif

Good luck in your quest to find the expansion. I've been looking for so long, then finally found someone who was offering a brand new and sealed bundle with both the main game+expansion on BGG. A bit expensive to buy the bundle and receive a second copy of the core game, but how much longer are we going to see SEALED copies of the expansion? Had to pick it up! And plus.. now i'll finally have a set of the updated dice. My current set of dice are from the original 2004 release, and all the icons have rubbed off. I had to draw all the icons back on with a sharpie :P

Well lookie here, I can already smell a second expansion. It just wouldn't be FFG to release it, for sure. But I just know there will be a 2nd expansion.

What makes you think that?

I have a feeling only fan-made "expansions" will come out, like the Advanced Campaign (yes, I'm still working on it, just got a little distracted by Castle Ravenloft :P ) and Steve-O's collection of missions (I want to compile the good ones into a PDF a la Quest Compendium).

-shnar

Shnar, that's exactly what I meant. FFG won't be releasing it, but the 'someone else' is us.

Ah, thought you were referring to a publication company ;)

-shnar

ASFx said:

Good luck in your quest to find the expansion. I've been looking for so long, then finally found someone who was offering a brand new and sealed bundle with both the main game+expansion on BGG. A bit expensive to buy the bundle and receive a second copy of the core game, but how much longer are we going to see SEALED copies of the expansion? Had to pick it up! And plus.. now i'll finally have a set of the updated dice. My current set of dice are from the original 2004 release, and all the icons have rubbed off. I had to draw all the icons back on with a sharpie :P

You destroy what's left of my hope. sad.gif

But I won't give up, sooner or later I'll find it. I have the new version, so I don't really need new dice but if I found an offer like that I would buy it nonetheless. The basic game could be turned into a good Christmas/Birthday gift, anyway. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Fingolfin80 said:

ASFx said:

You destroy what's left of my hope. sad.gif

But I won't give up, sooner or later I'll find it. I have the new version, so I don't really need new dice but if I found an offer like that I would buy it nonetheless. The basic game could be turned into a good Christmas/Birthday gift, anyway. gui%C3%B1o.gif

In case some of you are still searching for a copy of the expansion... amazon.de still has a copy of it (english edition)

http://www.amazon.de/Fantasy-Flight-Games-VA29-Expansion/dp/158994237X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1289171847&sr=8-4

(well they had 2, I bought the other one last week :-P)

Julia said:

In case some of you are still searching for a copy of the expansion... amazon.de still has a copy of it (english edition)

http://www.amazon.de/Fantasy-Flight-Games-VA29-Expansion/dp/158994237X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1289171847&sr=8-4

(well they had 2, I bought the other one last week :-P)

Thank you for the info!

In the meanwhile I've found an Italian version, but since I have the English game this one is much better, I hate having half a game in a languge and half in another.

Fingolfin80 said:

Thank you for the info!

In the meanwhile I've found an Italian version, but since I have the English game this one is much better, I hate having half a game in a languge and half in another.

You're welcome :-) I did find the italian version too, but for your very same reason I bought the English version via amazon :-) Not to mention that, in most of the cases, translations simply suck. I have the italian version of Fury of Dracula, and I'm seriously thinking about buying the English version of the game.

Julia said:

Fingolfin80 said:

Thank you for the info!

You're welcome :-) I did find the italian version too, but for your very same reason I bought the English version via amazon :-) Not to mention that, in most of the cases, translations simply suck. I have the italian version of Fury of Dracula, and I'm seriously thinking about buying the English version of the game.

I've never played the italian version of Doom, but if it's translated like Descent I'm happy with my English game gran_risa.gif ...