Shoot Back.. not allowed in a round when attacks are consider to be simultaneous?

By Arex1, in Dust Tactics

Hi to all,

I was going over the rule book and after a couple of games, it seems that the lack of units being attacked without the ability to shoot back makes squads kinda useless.

First off, if activating a squad to fire, selecting your targets and then shooting is consider to be simultaneous, once u resolve combat, you are in a very good position to wipe out a whole squad. So, lets use the example that they have on the rule book regarding this shooting topic. Your squad has shotguns. You have 4 your squad. Shooting a 2 Armor squad each of your units will roll 3 dice to inflict 1 point of damage. That means that u will roll a total of 12 dice (Now I know the probabilities of rolling a hit, we are not discussing that right now, so please bear with me). So, rolling 12 dice for ur first weapon seems pretty good when u are up against a squad that each of its units can take only 1 point of damage.

So, u roll 12, and lets say u roll 3 hits (not considering sustain attack - shoot + shoot - that allows to re roll all your misses) u then the defending player needs to immediately remove 3 of his units from that squad. On my second weapon vs the same squad I can easily get 2 more hits. So was this done intentionally? It appears that this will become a game of heroes and vehicles more than squad units if they don't get to shoot at least back when killed because the odds of wiping out squads on the first engagement seem pretty good.

Does anyone feel the same way?

I know that we need to consider cover, and tactical movement and such, but when u get down to the basics if all attacks are consider simultaneous in a round, why not giving the defending units a chance to shoot back at least. I mean, is not that they are just waiting there without moving when u see a bunch of enemies coming at ya. Right?

Just a thought. Maybe there will be units that will get this benefit.

Arex

I agree that the squads are wiped out to quick. When my son and i 1st played at home we did counter attack by the surviving members of the sqaud and they lasted longer that way.

I have not played and I have briefly read through the rules. More importantly I read that the majority of the games played at Gen Con were done in less than 45 minutes. This leads me to believe that the designers wanted a "fast and bloody" game. Lots of easy rolls with few calculations and lots of models coming off the table quickly. Just my two cents...

JC