Lord of Change

By Clamatius, in Warhammer Invasion Off Topic

I'm just a noob when it comes to Warhammer Online - so it was my first time at the newly redone Siege of Altdorf (the end game battle).

Anyway, I'd been thinking about Lord of Change decks that day, so I was a bit surprised when a Lord of Change showed up to help my Sorceress's team!

Lord of Change

This kind of thing makes my inner geek happy.

There were no Order defending Altdorf this time so it was no problem. One of the mechanics in the city siege is that 4 players get chosen at random to be Champions for their side - you suddenly become 30 feet tall with 20x your normal HP - and it was me! Destruction fans will be pleased to know that I duly gave Emperor Franz -1 HP. As it were.

Sorceress Champion vs. Emperor Franz

Hate the end game with no defenders crap...

Yeah, that did seem deeply weird. But eh, I'm at the tourist stage at this point going around looking at a map all the time so I'll take it.

Apparently that's a common occurance... the rewards to defend under motivate defenders. Gratz on under powered destro getting to King!

It's been one of the problems with the game generally - the reward from fighting an undefended keep/objective/etc is greater than fighting a stronger force and losing. That leads to the "RvDoor" mechanic where people avoid conflict for guaranteed rewards.

Hopefully the next patch with the "Against All Odds" mechanic will go some way to fixing that.

I'm still enjoying the game a lot though, more than ever now I'm playing with the same people most of the time.

Oh, and destro may be underpowered, but sorceresses aren't. The amount of damage the sorceress does compared with all the other classes I've played is pretty ridiculous. Witch Elf does hits harder but you have to be right next to your target with no armour. One thing that they did seem to get right is that the bikinis that the elves wear have all the protective power of... a bikini (whereas in a lot of other fantasy games it seems that the more revealing the armour for the females the better it is).

Cool report. I miss playing this game. It's pretty darn good. Though I wish that Mythic would reincarnate a newer version of DAOC. I founded one of the largest guilds on Pellinor server. :)

Wytefang said:

Cool report. I miss playing this game. It's pretty darn good. Though I wish that Mythic would reincarnate a newer version of DAOC. I founded one of the largest guilds on Pellinor server. :)

While it's not likely to release soon, I suggest you look into WvW battles in Guild Wars 2 then, DAoC was a major influence on the way they're deciding to take it. As for Warhammer Online I never really got into it but I always wanted to. I play both 40k and Fantasy tabletop fairly avidly, so it always peaked my interest. But I find it difficult to warrant paying a monthly fee for most MMOs out there. They're fun in their own right but generally you do the same repetitive actions over and over again... I have a hard time justifying $15/mo after spending $50-$60 on the game itself just to do the same things over and over again. The ones I have tried I've ALWAYS quit towards the end of the free month. = So I'm quite skeptical about them.

I used to play Waronline whenit first came out I was a chaos knight I loved it but it always got owned i felt like i did crap dmg maybe it was my build i dont know but thats why i quit i felt like i couldnt do anything.

Wytefang said:

Awesome! I used to love playing DAOC. I didn't really know how to play an MMO back then, but in some ways that made it more fun.

One of my fondest memories was being a newb getting lost in the woods in midgard and running all the way up to the albion border where I was promptly ganked.