Nurgle tactics

By Spelleth, in Chaos in the Old World

Hi everybody. Don't you think that Nurgle seems to be the weakest of all the gods? We've played a couple of games (mostly with 3 players only) and it was always Slaanesh, Tzeench or Khorne who wins. Of approximately 8 games Nurgle was very close only once (50+ VPs, while Khorne won by threat dial anyway...).

Are there any tactics for Nurgle so that he could have at least a chance to win? I've tried to go for 2 dial advances each round - that was impossible. I've tried to ruin regions as fast as I can - Khorne kicked my ass by denying me a corruption placement. I've tried to be quiet and slowly milk regions for VPs - others were quicker with their dials... So is there any tactic that really works (at least sometimes)? By the way, I've already won several times with other gods, but I just don't see a way for Nurgle to win.

Spelleth said:

Hi everybody. Don't you think that Nurgle seems to be the weakest of all the gods? We've played a couple of games (mostly with 3 players only) and it was always Slaanesh, Tzeench or Khorne who wins. Of approximately 8 games Nurgle was very close only once (50+ VPs, while Khorne won by threat dial anyway...).

Are there any tactics for Nurgle so that he could have at least a chance to win? I've tried to go for 2 dial advances each round - that was impossible. I've tried to ruin regions as fast as I can - Khorne kicked my ass by denying me a corruption placement. I've tried to be quiet and slowly milk regions for VPs - others were quicker with their dials... So is there any tactic that really works (at least sometimes)? By the way, I've already won several times with other gods, but I just don't see a way for Nurgle to win.

Huh?!? In our games Nurgle is the man! He has won most of the games. 3 and 4 player games. I don't know how are your sessions like but I do know one thing for sure. Nurgle cannot win with a Dial victory. Never go for a dial victory with Nurgle. Just try to get 1-2 upgrades from the dial and that's it. Go for VPs. Use Rain of Pus to stop Khorne etc. Attack other players, you have cheap and expandable warriors that do good damage.

Nurgle is the VP god. You cultivate your high score regions for an advancement dial a turn (unless you get real lucky first turn and swing the second). Provender of Ruin is pretty important as an upgrade as you get points wven if you don;t ruin.

Get your people everywhere to put the corruption down and don't be afraid of corrupting out your own high value regions (ie the populous regions) for the points. You only need one left for the advancement dial. You aim to score at least the second place points in every region that ruins.

Defend yourself from Khorne by placing your cheap fighters that are as good at killing his people as his are at killing yours and half the cost. A few cards here and there to weaken the opposition warriors or toughen up your defence and its very hard to dislodge Nurgle. You have cards that are very useful for getting domination points as well and you must not neglect those points.

myrm said:

Nurgle is the VP god. You cultivate your high score regions for an advancement dial a turn (unless you get real lucky first turn and swing the second). Provender of Ruin is pretty important as an upgrade as you get points wven if you don;t ruin.

Get your people everywhere to put the corruption down and don't be afraid of corrupting out your own high value regions (ie the populous regions) for the points. You only need one left for the advancement dial. You aim to score at least the second place points in every region that ruins.

Thanks for help. I usually take Provender of Ruin as a first upgrade, because other upgrades imho are not really useful (maybe Power of Pestilence and Great Unclean One could prove useful as well).

So instead of concentrating on 1 or 2 populous regions, should I try to corrupt 1 populous and several others belonging to Tzeentch or Slaanesh? And what about playing Khorne a little and let my plaguebearers kill their cultists? Could this work?

myrm said:

Defend yourself from Khorne by placing your cheap fighters that are as good at killing his people as his are at killing yours and half the cost. A few cards here and there to weaken the opposition warriors or toughen up your defence and its very hard to dislodge Nurgle. You have cards that are very useful for getting domination points as well and you must not neglect those points.

In our last game I tried to oppose Khorne with a plenty of plaguebearers and Rain of Pus card. All I got was a total massacre of my cultists in this populous region (he had 3 warriors and a demon lord there), fortunately I was able get one dial advance because of Great Foul Consumption card which destroyed my own plaguebearers but gave me 2 corruption tokens there... But I wasn't able to ruin this region as I planned before. :(

Spelleth said:

Thanks for help. I usually take Provender of Ruin as a first upgrade, because other upgrades imho are not really useful (maybe Power of Pestilence and Great Unclean One could prove useful as well).

The Lepers upgrade is very powerful, allowing you to stall out the other players and leave you with a hefty helping of power points once everyone else is exhausted for the turn. It's almost always better than the GUO upgrade, since the latter only really matters if you're trying to win by dial, which you shouldn't be.

Spelleth said:

So instead of concentrating on 1 or 2 populous regions, should I try to corrupt 1 populous and several others belonging to Tzeentch or Slaanesh?

If you can be first place ruiner in one or two regions and second place in the others, you should win unless somebody beats you with a dial win.

Spelleth said:

And what about playing Khorne a little and let my plaguebearers kill their cultists? Could this work?

Probably not worthwhile unless you see that Khorne is playing to win via VPs and looks like he might actually pull it off. If that's not the case, save your warriors for killing Slaanesh's and Tzeentch's cultists in regions where it matters (ie, regions where killing enemy cultists will give you first place in ruination or failing that, prevent someone else from stealing your second place).

Alternately, if you don't need your warriors to kill Khorne's warriors or snipe at enemy cultists, they're cheap enough that you may be able to get away with using them to dominate one of the regions with lower resistance without ruining those regions, thus guaranteeing you a steady trickle of VPs every turn.

I appreciate the heads up.

I've been trying to get dial advances by upgrading my great unclean one and just summoning him back and forth, but my fiancee ends up just killing a number of folks with her khorne demons and spinning the dial like mad.

I'll focus on VPs and see what I can do.