Co-Op LCG

By Xiayose, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Being a large fan of Arkham Horror, I am extremely excited to hear about a co-op LCG, escpecially since it lists as playable in 30 - 90 minutes. This sounds like a great way to have fun co-op play when I don't have time for Arkham Horror.

The only issue I have with this idea is will tournament structure be at all possible?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do love just playing kitchen table and all, but I enjoy playing in a large gathering tournament style.

If there is a method of scoring your game you could still do a tournament, it just wouldn't be as directly competative.

One possiblity that has me intrigued is the possiblity that tournaments would be between teams of players competing to achieve the best or highest-scoring victory against a tournament scenario.

Or possibly maybe time based to see which team can defeat a common tournament scenario in the shortest length of time.

Are you kidding me? A cooperative living card game? This is ingenious! GOD, I can't wait. gran_risa.gif

I have to say I am incredibly intrigued by the co-op aspect of this game, and the length of time for a game. There is a prt of me that is worried about how this game is going to actually work, but I am sure that FFG has spent alot of time working on this game, and has worked out any problems that might have arisen. I will definitely have to give this game a shot when it comes out.

This game is going to be a first-day buy for my roommate and I. We both love how LCGs work, both like Tolkien, and both enjoy co-op games.

A brilliant concept....which will hopefully be brilliantly executed. Time will tell.

As to those who are itching for tournament play....there are plenty of other card games out there that are based around tournament play.

sure, but no reason this one can't be as well. Just would be different, which isn't a bad idea.

I think I can die for this one. :)

I'm not a big LotR lover, but I do like the general environment and the co-op idea. :) Let's see...

Singleplayer LCG constructible card game. Just what a guy whose wife doesn't like card games needs.

The co-op part is indeed intriguing.

All I know is that this is going on my must buy list for theme alone. I wanted this to be the next LCG for a while now. Thanks FFG.

I hope this game makes it to Essen 2010, it will be a must-buy for me.

I can't see myself not buying this game. Even on the half-assed chance that I'm not fond of it...

I have a new cult of Arkham Horror friends (who had all given up gaming) that have been reawakened by the appeal of cooperative gaming. Defeat the GAME, not each other. Most of them aren't what I would call Lovecraft fans, and they still love Arkham Horror. However, many of them ARE Tolkein fans. If THEY are going to love this more than I do, I will totally take a chance on buying this game.

And I was just daydreaming about the possibilities since I read the Death Angel rules...

how much is this like the original lord of the rings collectible card game??? yes it was cooperative too..

c8tiff said:

how much is this like the original lord of the rings collectible card game??? yes it was cooperative too..

I used to play the old ICE Middle Earth game and that wasn't co-op and I never saw a co-op game if the Decipher LotR game either.

Deciphers and ME ccg were both competitive games, I know I own both of them.

I hope this one draws from the books more than those movies.

Dear FFG:

I've come to the conclusion it would just be easier to send you my actual credit card. That way, you could just keep it on the desk and run it through the machine for every new release. I see it as a great time-saver.

Thanks,

TheDukester

Just when you think it can't get any better....it does! FFG is just an unbelievable gaming company. I had totally given up on buying card games...it always turned in to an "arms race" with my friends resulting in the spending of massive amounts of money. The LCG format has solved that problem. First, it's Warhammer Invasion, now this, a solitaire, co-op LCG. There is no doubt in my mind that FFG has the brightest and best minds in the gaming business today. Keep it up!

P.S.-Love this new Blood Bowl card game too!!!

Heh so the co-op format brought about by the WoW TCG Raid decks is starting to get noticed. Wizards of the Coast just did some co-op decks (1 player vs a group) for MTG.

I am still on the fence with this one, not because it isn't a great game, but because my wallet is stretched tight with Warhammer Invasion, Malifaux, and DLC for console and PC games.

TheDukester said:

Dear FFG:

I've come to the conclusion it would just be easier to send you my actual credit card. That way, you could just keep it on the desk and run it through the machine for every new release. I see it as a great time-saver.

Thanks,

TheDukester

Curator said:

Heh so the co-op format brought about by the WoW TCG Raid decks is starting to get noticed. Wizards of the Coast just did some co-op decks (1 player vs a group) for MTG.

Meh...not quite. The WoW TCG Raid Decks still require one player to be the "raid master." A true cooperative game is "player(s) vs. game"....where the game is pretty much an AI.

c8tiff said:

I think ME:tW was very much competitive...but there were extremely unplayable solo rules.

Not as much as it is like the LotR board game by Parker Brothers. Look it up in a search and you'll see what I mean. It was designed by Reiner Knizia and released in 2000.