Degree of success with a single shot

By TechVoid, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Hi folks,

I just wonder why you cannot have degrees of success with a single shot.

Or did I miss something?

Are there any houserules? As an educated guess I would add one point of damage for every one / two / ... degrees of success.

I guess this topic is not new and has been discussed a lot. ;)

Greetins, TechVoid

Only if the weapon has either the scatter or accurate trait:

Scatter: 1 extra hit be 2 degrees

Accurate: extra 1d10 of damage per 2 degrees, 3d10 extra max

As for accurate I thought it only gained that benifit when used with the Aim action.

Wu Ming said:

As for accurate I thought it only gained that benifit when used with the Aim action.

Yup. No bonus damage for snapping off a quick shot with an Accurate weapon. Scatter works regardless of whether you aim or not, but the 3m or closer limit is probably more restrictive. Still makes combat shotguns horribly deadly in tight quarters.

Wu Ming said:

I stand corrected...forgot that small part...

Thank you.

I looked it up in the Core Rulebook and found out that you are right with the scatter weapon property.

But where is it written that you get extra dice with the accurate ability? I did not find it. sad.gif

Cheers, TechVoid.

The 2.0 Errata. (I have to write more text here...)

Okay - thanks.

I will see through that.

Cheers, TechVoid.

We give +1 damage per degree of success with aimed single shots. I find it helps reduce the disparity between single shot and auto weapons. Not sure how we're going to mesh this with new +1d10 per 2 DoS from the errata. Any ideas?

For a less extreme house rule, I'd suggest that the degrees of success affect how hard the shot is to dodge. So you need three DoS to dodge a shot fired with 3 DoS.

I went a rather simple road that makes single shots dangerous without dealing more damage: every succes made to hit is one the enemy needs to dodge. Thus the single shot can become realy hard to escape from. My players rather enjoy that option as it brings something new to the play in contrast to pure damage.

We have one who went for lots of bullets and one who chose precision and a single devastating shot that nearly always hits. They are about equal ind the damage they deal and have fun rp'ing their different combat philosophies (see Legolas and Gimli for comparisson of behaviour ingame).

I don't much approve of adding a full 1d10 to the damage based on the success. This only serves to make the strength and penetration values less important.

I do like the idea of additional successes increasing the difficulty of successfully dodging - e.g two degrees of success applies a -20 penalty to the dodge. This way an aimed shot is likely to result in an actual hit. I think I'm going to go for that as a house rule in general for aimed attacks.

-K

kjakan said:

I don't much approve of adding a full 1d10 to the damage based on the success. This only serves to make the strength and penetration values less important.

Well, if we're talking about the official rule, it also serves to make sniping possible at all. Bear in mind, it's only a bonus on aimed shots with accurate basic weapons, so it makes sniping shots a viable tactic all of a sudden. I rather like that.

voidstate said:

For a less extreme house rule, I'd suggest that the degrees of success affect how hard the shot is to dodge. So you need three DoS to dodge a shot fired with 3 DoS.

I like this rule my self and think i will use it. thanks.

voidstate said:

We give +1 damage per degree of success with aimed single shots. I find it helps reduce the disparity between single shot and auto weapons. Not sure how we're going to mesh this with new +1d10 per 2 DoS from the errata. Any ideas?

OOO I like this rule. I think I may use it. Nice job.

the only problem with needing as mand DoS to dodge as the shoot gets to hit is the fact that there are tons of bonuses to hit, and almost none to dodge. This skews the typical shot hugely in the favor of the shooter.

aim (+10/+20), burst (+10), full auto (+20), red dot (+10), range (+10-30), surprise (+30), accurate trait (+10), size (+10 or more)

these all add to the shooters BS score wherein there really arent many things that add to dodge (other than the dodge +10/+20 skill). this gives a big advantage to the shooter when determining degrees of success. you will usually get more when you are at a ballistic skill of 85 (modified) than a dodge of 35.

Then simply use a rule like:

For every two degrees of success the opponent needs one degree of success for his dodge extra. This does not apply for semi or autofire.

Schwarzie said:

Then simply use a rule like:

For every two degrees of success the opponent needs one degree of success for his dodge extra. This does not apply for semi or autofire.

This is the same house rule i have initiated. i only added it because players started to feel cheated when they rolled a good strike roll with an aimed single shot and the enemy just easily parried/dodged.

We've had a problem with Accurate weapons being a little too deadly. I don't mind so much the players one-shotting peons, but when peon snipers are one-shotting players that were at full wounds and players are one-shotting large beasts with 8 TB and 30 wounds there is a problem. We're actually treating sniper shots (i.e. Aim action + weapon with the Accurate trait) the same way you treat Dual-Strike a described in the official Errata. That means that you subtract armor once and then subtract toughness a number of times equal to the damage dice rolled. This also means that the attacker will add their weapon's damage bonus, after bonus damage from Talents and other effects have been added in, a number of times equal to the dice rolled. It makes penetrating armor much easier and you can actually do even more damage than before to lower-toughness targets. This also however, prevents someone from one-shotting an enormous, house-sized xenos with nothing but a hunting rifle.