Framework Action Questions

By Masi, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

I thought that every event in the framework action was resolved with the framework action window, but reading it better I realize that the whole grey block resolves with one single window, so...

I understand that I resolve steps 1-3 of every event in the Framework Action before I move to step 4, that is common for every event?

If so, pasive abilities and responses to "wining the challenge" cannot be played after renown is awarded?

Deadly, Vigilant and Vengative are resolved in step 4?

When is Intimidate checked? In resolution framework action? In assigning defense framework action?, in what step? (if it´s in the resolution framework action, and it cannot be played until step 4, the result of the challenge is already resolved and intimidate is useless, so I suppose it must be player before that FA)

Thanks.

Masi said:

I understand that I resolve steps 1-3 of every event in the Framework Action before I move to step 4, that is common for every event?

If so, pasive abilities and responses to "wining the challenge" cannot be played after renown is awarded?

Deadly, Vigilant and Vengative are resolved in step 4?

Correct. All framework events in the same window share a common Steps 4-6. You do not resolve passives or Responses for any one framework event until they have all resolved. So yes, passives and Responses to "winning the challenge" or to "a character dies (for military claim)" does not happen until after unopposed and Renown are awarded. Note also that no Responses to any one framework event can be triggered until all passives for ALL framework events are resolved. Deadly, Vigilant and Vengeful do indeed all happen in Step 4.

Masi said:

When is Intimidate checked? In resolution framework action? In assigning defense framework action?, in what step? (if it´s in the resolution framework action, and it cannot be played until step 4, the result of the challenge is already resolved and intimidate is useless, so I suppose it must be player before that FA)

You may need to shift your thinking on Intimidate a little. It is not a passive effect that would therefore be "checked" or "resolved" as part of a Step 4. Rather, it is a constant effect (i.e., as long as the character is attacking, the effect applied during challenge resolution) that creates an additional play restriction on calculating challenge STR. Therefore, it is part of the STR calculation that takes place during the initiation (Step 1) of the "determine winner of challenge" framework event.

OK. It´s a little change in what I first thought. (I still think that should be better if there where a complete passive/response after each event, so no passive to renown could be played before a passive for winning the challenge...)

Thanks

Just to nitpick on the terminology a bit here: you never "play" as passive. Passives "activate" or "initiate" whether you want them to or not when their play restrictions are met. "Play" implies that you have a choice in the matter.

As for the rest, think of the way that announcing the type of challenge and kneeling attackers are two parts of the single game concept "initiate a challenge." While you can separate the two (announcing the challenge type and kneeling attackers) in practical or realistic terms, as far as the game is concerned, neither of them are complete on their own. It is thus inapporpriate to do anything between the two because the game's flow is defined by the two acting together.

The same is true for counting STR to determine the winner of a challenge, settling claim, awarding unopposed and awarding Renown. They are all parts of the single game concept "resolve the challenge." The sub-parts exist because you cannot practically complete all the things that define challenge resolution at the same time. Again, you can separate them in practical or realistic terms. But as far as the flow of the game is concerned, the four act together as a single unit. Said a different way, the challenge doesn't "resolve" when the winner is determined; rather, all FOUR of the events must be completed before the challenge is actually considered to be resolved. So it would be inappropriate to activate passives or play Responses between the resolution of any of these 4 events becaise as far as the game's flow is concerned, they 4 are acting together to accomplish a single thing. And that single thing must be complete before you can Respond to any single part of it.

Of course, individual cards could have something happening between events that are sub-parts of a single game concept, but those cards would have to specifically contradict the game flow defined in the rules.