Starcraft 2

By octobus, in StarCraft

The FFG is working on a new expansion?

octobus said:

The FFG is working on a new expansion?

Unlikely, but not impossible I suppose. I haven't seen anything recent in the way of Blizzard-related game content from FFG, so it's hard to say what the status of their relationship currently is. I suppose there was another WoW:tBG expansion on the docket that looks to be canceled by now (several years gone by and no news of a release date) so that bodes ill.

Generally FFG seems to release some kind of expansion - big or small - once a year for each game line they're still supporting in an ongoing capacity. The fact that Starcraft has now gone at least a couple years without an expansion doesn't look good. Although it hasn't been all that long either, so maybe?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some kind of Wings of Liberty expansion for the board game. I'm definitely loving the computer game =D

I don't see it hapening as an expansion for 2 reasons. (1) they would have to get rid of a lot of units, add new ones, replace cards to represent some increases to life, decreases to life, new abilites, buildings, ect. And (2) FFg hasn't worked on a Blizzard liscence for a while, right now they are focusing on The GW one. I somewhat hope they don't make a SC2 BG, just because I doubt I'd still play the first one.

It si difficult integrate a new expansion in Starcraft, too many things to change and they have with Broodwar a good equilibrium. I will prefer a new Starcraft boardgame.

grim_reaper_zig said:

I don't see it hapening as an expansion for 2 reasons. (1) they would have to get rid of a lot of units, add new ones, replace cards to represent some increases to life, decreases to life, new abilites, buildings, ect. And (2) FFg hasn't worked on a Blizzard liscence for a while, right now they are focusing on The GW one. I somewhat hope they don't make a SC2 BG, just because I doubt I'd still play the first one.

I don't see any reason why they'd have to remove units or adjust health values just because similar adjustments were made in the computer game. I mean, the board game has you planet hopping all over the map to win, whereas battles in the computer game were always on one planet/space platform at a time. The only planet hopping was story-based between maps. The point is the board game never was - and doesn't need to be - an exact reflection of the computer game, it only needs to capture the essence of the computer game. I think the board game as is does a fantasic job of replicating the "feel" of playing Starcraft and frankly, the "feel" of Starcraft 2 isn't very much different. The details are changed but the game play is the same.

A Wings of Liberty expansion for the board game could add new units, new rules and so on inspired by aspects of SC2 that aren't directly contradictory to what's there already without needing to change or remove old ones in the process. I'd still play it. =)

Although I do agree with the idea that an expansion is unlikely (as I outlined above,) I certainly wouldn't mind being proven wrong either.

Many of the units in SC1 are still around in Wings of Liberty, especially in the Terran campaign, so an expansion is still possible without having to overhaul the entire game. I will agree with grim_reaper_zig that SC2's gameplay won't affect overall gameplay of the board game, since they have different approaches in presenting the essence of the Starcraft universe(ground/space battles vs sector-wide battle).

I wouldn't however expect the expansion any time soon. I don't think anything happened with FFG's license to publish Blizzard-based games, but knowing Blizzard, they like to take their time with their games, and with good reason. You'll have to admit SC2 was long overdue, but when it finally came out it was fantastic. i think this is the same with all Blizzard-based titles of FFG, since Blizzard also plays a key role in the development of these games. Blizzard releases quality games, & so, carrying their name in their board games, FFG also has to deliver that same quality.

That said, it's possible that it's hard to publish Blizzard-based games since it's hard to get a target audience. FFG games aren't exactly cheap after all, & between board games & the computer game, most people would prefer the computer game.

Just an edit to the previous post. I meant Steve-O.

I would personally rather see a new game rather than an expansion that focuses on SC2, maybe rather than a galaxy-conquoring map a more tactical skirmish game.

-shnar

I agree with you shnar. After playing through SC2, it would be totally awesome to see those new units on the board. Instead of conquering planets, the game would be more mission oriented and you'd have to fulfull certain objectives as well as build up your forces. Got my fingers crossed that FFG does SC2 in the near future.

plz tell me where i can play starcraft 2

The boardgame? You can't, there is no such thing.

The computer game? Go to your local Walmart and pick it up. Will be on sale for a long time from now...

-shnar

How long time I still need to waiting for....

I wouldn't hold your breath. After what happened with the Warcraft line of games, I don't think we're going to see any more Blizzard-licensed games; either Blizzard is asking too much, or FFG just doesn't have the interest anymore (or both).

Right, I think they've done pretty much anything boardgame-wise with the license they had. I kinda expected to see an LCG as that seems to be FFG's approach to a lot of lines now. It certainly did well for A Game of Thrones . However, a large part of what captures the computer game's essence was the fact that it was a board game.