Would you buy a Dark Heresy Companion?

By Peacekeeper_b, in Dark Heresy

I guess a simple yes or no would suffice, but more explanation would be cool as well.

My question overall is if FFG would release a 124 page Hardback (or softback) full color or B&W supplement that collected the vechicle apocryopha, the time line, the mementos, the calixis sector planet database and the GMS kit in it, would you buy it? Maybe they can throw a few extras, like a new adventure or a few new origins?

For some reason it has bugged me since the release of the Vehicles Apocrypha why it hasnt been included in a real book yet? I know a PDF is free and I should rejoice, but it just bugs me.

I definitely would. Of course, I would also be more than eager to buy a new, corrected edition of the core book, but that's not the point.

However, a Dark Heresy Companion would be a nice addition to my library, with pictures, a hardcover, and I'd bob my head, when looking at my library, and have the feeling that it's more complete.

The only reason I ask is that most of the material is reasonably available already for free, but FFG could easily put a book together with this stuff and round it out with some of the stuff that got cut from previous books.

Yes, just to have the bloody thing in my hands.
Put in some extra stuff, few more vehicles....

I'll buy it...

I bought an additional copy of Purge the Unclean and the Inquisitor's Handbook just to have them in color and hardback. (I punted on the core rulebook since we already had 4 copies of the BI edition.) So yes, you can pretty much count on me to buy anything they publish for this line.

Add more backround packages, unique origins, alternate career ranks and elite advances and I´m in:)

No, I'd rather that effort was redirected giving us new material, or returning the Calixis sector details online. I prefer them digital, and I'm perfectly capable of printing and binding them if I want them physically.

I would buy one depending on the content. the WFRP companion didn't do much for my campaigns but I still enjoyed the fluff and extra tools to work with, whether I used them or not. On second thought, I would say yes, I would buy a 40K companion.

I agree with TorogTarkdacil and Charax in that I'd love it if it was a book of 60 to 70% new stuff and the rest was information available free online (Vehicle Apocrypha, etc). Also, I'd prefer that new stuff to be, as TorogTarkdacil said, origins, (alternate) career paths, equipment, elite advances, a variety of NPCs, and maybe some campaign ideas and teasers, but no adventures.

However, what I'd really like is editions of the books currently printed that included all the errata. I know that RPG books contain a lot of information and are hard to copy edit, but 16 pages of errata is a bit cumbersome.

If a Dark Heresy companion were to happen then probably a revision on the Vehicles Apocrypha, a timeline specific to the Calixis Sector, with some fresh concepts (say more on the arcane works of the Adeptus Mechanicus), fleshing out some of the worlds/systems within the Calixis Sector.

Perhaps some background packages and elite advances.

Peacekeeper_b said:

My question overall is if FFG would release a 124 page Hardback (or softback) full color or B&W supplement that collected the vechicle apocrypha, the time line, the mementos, the calixis sector planet database

Yes.

Peacekeeper_b said:

and the GMS kit in it,

No. The material in the GMs kit was already released in print form, and It's not that hard to find GMs kits out there still. They've already got the material laid out and ready for a 2nd printing, and frankly, I'd rather not pay money for material I've already paid for. If they think they can sell a second printing of the GMs kit, go for it, but if not, maybe the GMs kit should come out in PDF.

The stuff I said yes to above was free, and I don't mind paying to get hardcopy. However, since the only thing there I don't already have sitting on my hard drive is the planet database, I would definitely want new material in addition to those things.

Where is this Vehicle Apocrypha everyone speaks of?

That's kind of the point - it disappeared when the Black Industries site shut down and hasn't been legally seen since, occasionally reposted by those without explicit permission from the copyright holders to do so.

Ever notice how whenever GW do something with computers, massive amounts of data disappear into the Warp?

I would love for such an add on pack to be released, and I would not think twice about buying a copy.

Yes I already have most of that material, but even in printed form, there is no comparison to an offical book.

Nope.

I would, however, buy supplements that dealt in more details with the worlds of the Calixis sector. Well, "buy" as in I would like to see them, but buying is a whole separate issue since I don't want any more physical RPG books.

Kage

>>buying is a whole separate issue since I don't want any more physical RPG books.<<

Don't want any more physcial rpg books? What a bizarre thing. I have over 4k spent for rpg books (and half of these are from the days when most of the books only cost 12-18 bucks) and still find more I want ... all the time. I have dozens of setting books I'll never have time to run, though ... still, half the fun is merely reading and being immersed in the setting.

I just hate PDFs, I find them inconvenient for game use and too easily lost. I dont feel like having cheap knock off self bound game books. Even if it is cheaper.

The think about table top RPGs to me is it all should be physical, even the books.

Kage2020 said:

Nope.

I would, however, buy supplements that dealt in more details with the worlds of the Calixis sector. Well, "buy" as in I would like to see them, but buying is a whole separate issue since I don't want any more physical RPG books.

Kage

ahhh...

Ex Libris Sapientia Careo Libris Laevus

And, yes, I would buy it.

Peacekeeper_b said:

I just hate PDFs, I find them inconvenient for game use and too easily lost. I dont feel like having cheap knock off self bound game books. Even if it is cheaper.

The think about table top RPGs to me is it all should be physical, even the books.

Which is kinda ironic you have to admidt geven the prodigous ammount of .pdf and electronic cotent you help to make avalible to the community. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Hello!

I would buy a Dark Heresy Companion, but for it to be really useful I wouldn't want it to collect too much stuff from the net. About 50% new and 50% recycled/collected would be fine.

/M

As to, "would I buy it?" - possibly. It would really depend on how good it looked as I flipped through it in the store - I am on a very limited budget. (students usually are)

I admit that the chances of my buying it would be far less likely if it was offered as a pdf. (unless the bundel was free, or there was a very nice preview ... I find that, if possible, I buy books I pick up as pdfs, should I like them.) I hate reading books on my computer ... though once I get one of those digital book readers it will be a lot more convenient.

Really, though, I'd much rather have a book with more career paths, organizations and npcs. (while it is acceptable to use apostrophes in acronyms these days, and it often looks better, I will refrain so as not to cause a panic)

Wu Ming said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

Which is kinda ironic you have to admidt geven the prodigous ammount of .pdf and electronic cotent you help to make avalible to the community. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I am a hypocrite.

But I do collect all my work into on large pdf and lulu a copy for myself.

Peacekeeper_b said:

But I do collect all my work into on large pdf and lulu a copy for myself.

Any chance of a pic? I've been thinking of doing the same thing and I'd love to see how it came out

I used to be a "hardcopy of a book only" player before but I've since began to run and play from my laptop. I admit that it does take a bit longer occasionally to find a certain listing when your in need of it, but to me being able to have my entire rpg book collection on my laptop which is roughly the size of one larger core book is well worth the loss. I'm perfectly happy with hoarding up as many PDF's as my laptop can hold.

I just cant really get into reading more then a few pages on a computer. I also like to be able to hold the book in my hand, or reference multiple books on a table, or lay down and read, or read on the bus or train or back seat of a car, or somewhere else.

A friend of mine loves PDFs and always sends me some on disc. I occassionally look at them, but Im just really really old school.