Descent: Battles in the Dark. PVP

By Wanderer999, in Descent Home Brews

Dear fellow dungeon lovers,

My latest spin brings the world of competition between Descent players to a new height.

When all is said and done, when all quests have been cleared, when there is no more kick in crushing weak spawns... You turn to the greatest challenge of your lives - The very ones who have endured and conquered everything together with you. Who is the best? This module was carefully thought up and made with painstaking effort over a long time to grant Descent fans a new angle of the game - PvP! Player versus player and no... Not the Overlord - Hero style. This is the Hero - Hero style. (Hero Wars)

The link over at BGG: www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/57062/descent-pvp

P.S: My group has found that CTS (Capture the Skull) plays extremely well and everyone alwaez had a blast duking it out in those modes. But they felt that the normal deathmatch modes were less interesting. If u have had the chance to give this a shot, do let me know any suggestions to make it better. Comments are alwaez welcome! Lastly, if u have an interesting idea of a PvP map for whatever mode, do let me know and I will try it out with my playgroup. If its great, we will include ur map into the variant file, and all due credits will be given.

• Using the HOS, each player rolls a power die. Upon getting a Surge, the player gets to activate his turn. If not, he passes on to the next player in the HOS and this continues until all players have gone their turns.

This would be the first and biggest reason for our group to not play this variant (or we would leave it behind). Looking at our long history of some heroes being able to throw surges too many times in a row and others not throwing surges at all this game could end within minutes as some will (almost) never gets to activate and others (almost) all the time.

Other then this point it all looks quite interesting. Also a question on monster activations/attacking heroes. What if a monster is equally close to 2 (or more) heroes; which one does he attack?

Shmoozer said:

• Using the HOS, each player rolls a power die. Upon getting a Surge, the player gets to activate his turn. If not, he passes on to the next player in the HOS and this continues until all players have gone their turns.

This would be the first and biggest reason for our group to not play this variant (or we would leave it behind). Looking at our long history of some heroes being able to throw surges too many times in a row and others not throwing surges at all this game could end within minutes as some will (almost) never gets to activate and others (almost) all the time.

Other then this point it all looks quite interesting. Also a question on monster activations/attacking heroes. What if a monster is equally close to 2 (or more) heroes; which one does he attack?

Oh dear, u seem to have misunderstood my texts.

Using the HOS, each player rolls a power die. Upon getting a Surge, the player gets to activate his turn. If not, he passes on to the next player in the HOS and this continues until all players have gone their turns.

Basically it means everyone takes turns rolling a power die using the HOS, and they only activate upon getting a surge, and passing on if no surge. If they have already activated their turns, they do NOT roll a power die again. This is covered in the later part of the sentence: this continues until all players have gone their turns. So in other words if there were five players, and four of them have already rolled surges and gone their turns, the fifth player AUTOMATICALLY goes for his turn without needing to roll a power die for surges. Hope u understand.... :( This is the best I can explain.

And regarding the monster attacking heroes, if 2 heroes are equally close to 2 different heroes, see page 3 of the Variant:

The monster closest to the hero always activates first, and in the event of two same distanced, players mutually agree on which to activate first, usually AGAINST the favour of the ‘victim hero’

This means that all the players will decide whom to attack, but its a rule that the victim hero is ALWAYS the one being attacked.

Victim Hero definition: The one who spawned the monsters. Or if none of the heroes involved was the one who spawned the monsters, then the one who is closer to dying. Hope this also clears your confusion.

The rules are pretty solid after much playing with my group, which attempts to break the variant at every turn. There should not be any issues for gameplay. Thanks for clearing your doubt here. I look forward to enlightening more questions and get u guys blasting away at each other in a CTS match. Trust me, its one hell of fun taking the skulls back and forth.