Let's bring the forums to life!

By Laughmask, in Grimm RPG

I've only recently just started Grimm, only played one session so far (but that will soon change). Checking the forums several times a day, I've noticed that the view count per thread most certainly doesn't match up with the replies. To put it simple, I want to start a thread where players and narrators alike post mini-stories, or episode if you will, that they enjoyed. Basically...create our own resources for the game for narrators in need to be able to grab a quick idea or two for an adventure and for viewers to gawk at our imaginary power! demonio.gif It doesn't have to be long, or so specific you're discussing the die results, but just a walkthrough of what went down for your party for others to see how to put some of the resources provided in the book to use. It'd be great to see new faces and people providing input rather than the same like 7 that "infest" these forums gui%C3%B1o.gif . I'll provide an example to get things started:

Scouring through the book for something that I could use for my new-born players to experience, I finally found the Castle of Snakes (pg 143). But after reading through it, it seemed to dry and boring and I wanted to add a twist to each room. When the players entered the gatehouse and set eyes on the tunic that was straight across the room, they also happen to notice 7 small, kid-sized pedestals around the room. Atop each of these pedestals lies a clenched, stone fist (it seemed more sensical to me that the bulk of damage they dealt was because of the stone impact rather than just being adult sized hands). While at the bottom of the pedestals, there was a matching stone foot. When the players entered the room and showed interest in the tunic, the hands immediately became animated. After a few rounds, they weren't too successful and knew they weren't going to get to the tunic, so they sent out the bully to grab their attention while the rest looked for an alternative -- the stone feet. The feet weaken the fists when they are too close, providing a bonus to scrap when defending with a foot and decreased the fists defense trait (I used scamper since they got a +2 stature advantage with it) when attacking with a foot. With this advantage the kids successfully got to the tunic and onto the second tower.

In the second tower, the kids immediately noticed the damp and mildew-y smell coming from the loft on the second floor. There were puddles leading up the staircase and a thick line of salt lining the edges of the room. The players chose to investigate the salt and noticed that there were flies littered throughout as well as what looks like a slight pulse. The kids decided it was in their best interest to poke the line of salt, and in doing so, they evoked a distasteful reaction from the loft...so they decided it was in their even better interest to violent beat the salt (a humorous scene I must add). And with that, 7 razor-teethed from came leaping down the stairs and over the loft to greet them, but they seemed weary and weakened. Leaving the dreamer behind to continue whaling on the salt, the bully proceeded to attack the frogs, receiving a +1 attack and defense bonus due to their weakened state. With the defeat of each frog, blue ooze came gushing out from different points in the salt. When all were defeated, an ordinary frog came leaping out of the razor-frogs mouth and followed the kids through the rest of the castle as a token of their appreciation for lifting their curse. But before they could proceed to the larger tower, they had to cross a dilapidated bridge with a scamper test of 2nd grade or fall to their death. And of course...the oafish bully couldn't even manage that, but before he knew it the 7 frogs whipped their tongues out, catching him and swinging him back onto the bridge.

In the last and final tower, a spiral staircase wound up around the outer walls with 7 different platforms at even intervals up the stairs. To show the dirty, ill-maintained condition of the place...I described it as being covered in hay. Little did I know that it would play a big factor... As the players ascended the stairs, a stone goblin rose out of the stone steps at each level to block their path. Providing a long battle because of their high protection, the players shattered the first goblin and wanted to find another way around them. So they ran down the stairs and stuffed their pockets with hay. When the 2nd goblin appeared, they led him down to the 1st platform and blocked off his path using the hay. Since the goblins were bound to the stone flooring, I decided I liked their train of thought (using simple flavor text to their advantage) and allowed this tactic to work. They worked their way up to the top, reaching the shoes. As they grabbed them, the platforms began to collapse, starting with the first and working upwards. They ran to the stairs and got to the bottom to realize the snake princess was already their waiting, so the kids went ahead and handed her the clothes. Revealing herself as a witch, she tried to transfer the curse, but the frogs leapt in the way and took the curse for the kids. The witch and frogs (now snakes) quickly retreated, revealing a newly constructed bridge between the 2 towers with a troll guarding the way. Promising to bring back the head of a witch or be hunted by trolls forever and ever, they leave the castle and find the Nut Cracker (who the kids are working with) dragging off the witch's body - a perfect opportunity to retrieve a witch head. And with that the kids successfully conquered the Castle of Snakes.

This is an excellent idea. I probably should have done this myself, but I'm a huge procrastinator. I recently narrated a game, and I'll post the journal when I feel like it. :P

Haha cool cool. By no means do I expect the posts to be of that length. I just happen to be very specific and can't help it preocupado.gif . Even if it's just an idea that hasn't been played out. I hope to see this thread fill up!

I lve so many of your ideas, Laughmask. maybe you will consider writing some adventure modules for Grimm? Fleshing out some of the lands with your ideas would be pretty helpful.

croakingbog.jpg

**sorry in advance for any grammar issues, it's late**

This is a quick photoshop I did of an area that I had in mind located in the Great and Aweful Forest. Called the Croaking Bog, it was named for the thunderous croaking that could be heard throughout the forest. In the center of this small outcropping of the GaAF, lies the a civilization of Poison Dart Frogs which is just as appropriately called the Croaking Kingdom. These frogs aren't your typical poison dart frogs, they aren't poisonous to touch, rather...they're named for their use of blow guns and poison darts. The poison is acquired from their fertile Banecap Mushroom farms, which are poisonous to touch and require a delicate hand to extract their venom. The frogs are known for their Bullfrog Rodeos and are expert matadores. They are quite savage, not so much so in their interaction with outsiders and children, but more in their general lifestyle. Ruled by a great king, Lord Kilwaku, a fat pac-man toad ( Image ), he is both feared and revered for his aggressive approach towards matters. Sending out his toadies (pardon the pun), they sedate and retrieve any opposition that may be posing a problem, and if they can't find a middle ground (which almost entirely favors Lord Kilwaku interest) he simply eats them whole, no questions asked.

The Croaking Kingdom boasts a great many "attractions" that are unique to the bog and can't be found anywhere else - mainly because they're illegal. Such as their infamous, annual dragonfly race. Soaring throughout the Croaking Bog, this race is attended by all the frog kingdoms of the Grimm Lands. Each kingdom has a matadore that mounts a giant dragonfly and embarks on this life threatening race. Theres only 2 rules: stay on the "track" and make sure no one else is alive to finish the race before or after you. The winner is rewarded with his choice of lady-frog presented by the losing kingdoms. This could be an opportunity for the kids to partake in, just switch out the reward to something the kids propose.

Another contest that can also be witnessed can be broken down into 2 phases. 1) Find your ammunition. 2) Crush the hell out of it. The frogs will be seen digging about in a designated scavenging area in an attempt to find the biggest, fattest, and juiciest bug. Next, they proceed to the squishing range where they grab a hardened mushroom and mash it as swiftly and powerfully as they can, sending the guts spray out into the field to be measured. The frogs judge 2 winners based on the width of the spray as well as the distance.

I'm thinking about centering my next adventure around this place, where the kids need to get a poison from their secret mushrooms to kill a witch. The reason for such a specific poison is because the witch is a potion connoisseur, specifically taking a liking to poisons. Because of this, she has hardened her body to be immune to all but one poison - the Banecap poison which she is unable to grow because of the necessary environment and maintenance (only the frogs know). Keeping a princess locked away (...for some reason it feels OK to be so unoriginal in this game...you know: evil witch + damsel in distress + rewards = adventure) the witch has challenged the citizens of the Checkerboard Kingdom to bring her a poison that will end her life once and for all, and in doing so will free the princess. Should she survive the poison though, she kidnaps the challengers to brew in some distasteful potion - providing a whole new adventure: The Escape From...THE WITCH! (it's late and I'm focusing on the frogs, give me a break).

LOL, very original LM! I think it is a fun idea. What prompted it? Thanks for the pic of the toad and forest. I like both. I may use this idea in my own campaign. Perhaps if the kiddies win they get the toad princess, but if they kiss her she turns into a girl (great way to introduce a new player)

Anything with frogs is great. I think there should be other creatures in the Swamp, though. Living peat mounds, Charybdis-style quicksand monsters, will o' the wisps...a lot of choices here.

GameBearOR said:

Perhaps if the kiddies win they get the toad princess, but if they kiss her she turns into a girl (great way to introduce a new player)

Ooooooh I like this. I might actually use it this way to introduce some of my new players. Either that or you could have someone in past adventures subtly mention some missing princess that was last heard of in the GaAF, if the players catch on they can return her. I'm not sure what prompted this, I was drawing a map for my version of the checkerboard kingdoms and when I got to a patch of the Great and Aweful Forest, I wanted to add something different. First that came to my mind in a forest/jungle setting was a poison dart frog.

I got to thinking another challenge the kids could partake in might be an actual bullfrog fighting match. It could be a 2 step process in involving bullfrog riding - a series of Muscle or Scamper tests - followed by the actual bullfrog fighting spectacle itself. During this event, the objective is NOT to kill the bullfrog (they're much too sacred for that), but simply to sedate it with an arsenal of mushrooms. Along with the hoppers ability (page 144), the bullfrog has 2 major abilities:

1) Elastic Tongue: The Bullfrog may make a ranged scrap test with a range of a cricket's hop. This ability also allows players to interpose paralytic mushrooms between themselves and the tongue. On a successful scrap defense roll, the player successfully sticks the mushroom on the tongue so that the bullfrog eats it as the tongue retracts back into its mouth. This results in a -1 to all trait tests next round.

2) Bounding Charge: This ability allows the bullfrog to make a leaping charge at a player. The kid must make a successful scamper check or be pummeled. If the kid has a shield or shield-like item, they may use scrap to try and successfully block, but the item will be shattered. This ability has it benefits too because on a successful scamper test it allows the kids to drop sleep inducing (not an immediate effect though) spore sacks in their place for the bullfrog to burst open. It also leaves the bullfrog exhausted, causing a -1 to all trait tests next round.

The bullfrog will eventually collapse as a result of the mushrooms and spores, and the children will be declared victors after it has been exposed to a number of spores/mushrooms as there are children participating. If the players kill the bullfrog (which should be very hard to do in the first place), Lord Kilwaku will give them that night to run for their life. As if the GaAF wasn't bad enough at night, at the first sign of sunlight, the frogs will chase them throughout the forest in an attempt to bring them back as food for Kilwaku.

The Gremlin said:

Anything with frogs is great. I think there should be other creatures in the Swamp, though. Living peat mounds, Charybdis-style quicksand monsters, will o' the wisps...a lot of choices here.

I agree, these could be added to your Monster Manuel thread. Maybe with the quicksand monster idea, should the player happen to get swallowed up, they fall through a long, rough tunnel until they finally plummet into a pile of bones and skulls, where some very hungry scarabs/beetles/spiders lie waiting down their for the quicksand's unfortunate victims. After defeating them, the players proceed through a dimly lit corridor, all the while kicking up sand with every step until the hall opens up into a fantastically decorated room. The walls are covered in murals made purely out of colored sand, depicting adventures and activities that are common to the real world. A bit eerie, the players may start to get uncomfortable and investigate the room, realizing there's no doors, at least not any obvious ones. With further investigation, a crude and scattered trail of sand leads to one of the images on the wall - an hourglass - and seems to slip underneath the wall. Requiring a Muscle test to open (or maybe an Imagination test to believe it's a secret door and a knob will appear), the hourglass door leads into a dark room with a starry ceiling creating a night sky. The room is lit by the illusionary ( <- is that even a word??) moon that casts its faint light through a few clouds. In the center of the room is a giant, hourglass-shaped throne encircled by a row of beds with even more rows that keep expanding outwards. Each bed contains a child, sleeping soundly...but they all have small piles of sand on their eyes. It seems as though the kids have stumbled across the secret lair of the Sand Man. At the head of each bed is a small fountain filled with water, when the players look into them they are able to view an unmistakable nightmare. If they continue looking into the different fountains eventually the Sand Man will appear in the nightmare, see the kids staring in, and come running at them in a furious rage and leap out of the fountain.

When the Sand Man isn't out in the dream land of the Real World in search of unsuspecting children, he's inside the nightmares of his captives, torturing them with Imaginings that would drive even an adult to madness.

sthroneroom.jpg

The Sandman's Throne room.

wow, i hadnt even considered the Sandman as a possible encounter in Grimm. But i guess he IS a legend, huh? He could have the "Mister Sandman" song playing in the distance, so faint you are not even sure you are hearing it...

quicksandmonster.jpg

How I sort of envisioned the sand monster, I'm curious to see what you think Gremlin.

dartfrog.jpg

And a typical denizen of the Croaking Kingdom.

I like the Sandman.

Personally, I think the frogs should be a bit less humanoid. They should still be bipedal, but should be able to to all fours and jump around if need be. We don't want a grippli ripoff.

The sand monster is great but reminds me a lot of Mr Ooogi-Boogi Man LOL.

I'm trying to think of something more to do with the Old Lady Not Living In A Shoe. I know she's in the book, but it seems rather dry to me. For the kids to walk up, be seated, maybe make a seek check to look at the farm full of shoes with feet in them, make a scamper check to avoid getting their own feet lobbed off, then they run... I've noticed that a lot of the content in the book is great to get you started, but it really comes to life with a twist from the narrator. Has anyone got any ideas what more you could do with this because I know my players would love the twist to this old nursery rhyme.

The shoes didn't grow into whole houses, but a passing witch took pity on the little old woman (or, more likely, saw a chance for some fun)and animated them. After the children escape, the shoes will pursue them. Though they aren't too dangerous (all they can do is kick you), there are quite a few of them, and they are excellent at drawing attention to the kids.

Hmm, cool idea with the shoes Gremlin. my players would probably be entertained with the thought of annoying and harassing shoes. How about if the kids decide to come back and show pity for the old lady she runs into her cottage and retrieves a jar of toe jam for them. You could work with that and have it do various effects depending on the scenario.

Now about this sandman idea...I think you're on to something. I think the community would greatly appreciate it if you turned it into a small module detailing the specifics of the "tomb". Describing what trait tests are where, and special possibilities for the keen players and what not. And definitely a description of the Sandman and how he fights or interacts with the kids, because I can see some epic scenes with that.

I've got the map and layout of the sandman's lair drawn out. Tomorrow I'll be going through and writing out all the things the players can/will encounter and hopefully have it up by friday. I'll be out of town over the weekend without internet so no updates then =(

Here's what I have so far with the sandman's lair. Basic gist: obtain the enchanted dream catchers from the scarab riders by acquiring a key worn from a dwarven servant of the Sandman. The players will then be immune to the Sandman's ability to send kids into an eternal dream state. The narrative picks up assuming the kids were gobbled by the Quicksand Monster.

"When the players' descent through the seemingly endless bowels of the Quicksand Monster comes to an end, they plummet into a large pile of bones, sending bits and pieces flying everywhere. The hole in the ceiling through which the players fell quickly seals up, leaving no evident hope of return. The bones lie in a small alcove attached to a barely larger room. Torches lining the walls cast a dim glow, revealing the glistening, pure gold hourglass dead ahead, as well as large piles of sand in each of the four corners of the room. No doors or windows can be seen.

The players may feel free to investigate the room, but only two things will yield obvious results the hourglass and the pile of bones. If the players investigate the piles of sand, all they notice is that the form looks like it was poured their over time. If the players focus on the hourglass, everything about seems to be made from gold, from the sand to the stand and even the glass has a gold shimmer to it. Choosing to ignore it will result in a 3rd grade pluck test to give into the temptation of stealing it off the pedestal. When touched (if touched), the illusion wears off, revealing an old, dusty and dilapidated hourglass. As if in response, the sands fill to the top and begin to pour and at the time 4 small tiles in the ceiling burst off with a torrent of sand gushing out into each corner. At this point, look at your watch/clock/time and tell the players they have 30 seconds to get out before escape is impossible. There are 2 possible escapes: get swallowed by the sand and be saved by the scarab riders (not much of an escape but you get the point), or search the bone pile and find the latched door underneath.

**From here, all I've worked out is the path through the tunnel under the bones.**

Beneath the pile of bones lies a latched door, revealing a circular tunnel descending into a dwarven mining operation (not revealed till later). Loud banging and clanking, grunts and shouts can be heard from the tunnel below. A worn ladder offers the players an easy route down. When the ladder drops off, the players find themselves in a narrow system of tunnels. Ahead of them is a small opening in the wall with a well-fastened, iron grate blocking the exit, but it provides a good view into the open room. Looking through the opening, the players are able to see a large, cavernous mine inhabited by stout dwarves (wearing odd devices on their head) and earthen golemns. Scaffolds are mounted with dwarves chiselling away and large construction equipment is manually worked by the army of golemns. Players can attempt to break the grate with a muscle of 5th grade or a 4th grade juvie (dwarves can work against brute force, but the intricacies of stealthy infiltration eludes them).

67837648.jpg

If the players decide to stay in the tunnels, it doesn't take long before they hear a faint skittering off in the distance that continuously grows louder. Trying to outrun the sound will take them to a dead end with another gated 'window' (should they try to escape). If the skittering catches up to them, a number of scarabs equal to the number of players will appear from the dark tunnels. The players should make a 5th grade seek to notice the scroll attached to the lead scarab. The scarabs won't attack unless attacked. The scroll contains a message from the Scarab King warning the players not to engage the dwarves because they are servants of the sandman, providing his golden sands and lost children in return for precious jewels and the occasional female specimen. Killing the scarabs makes reveals the scroll without needing a Seek check. If the players follow the tunnels the way the scarabs came, they will find the entrance to the Scarab Kings hideout.

If the players at any time left the the tunnels and entered the cave, the dwarves and golemns immediately stop all work and focus their attention on the players, unless they manage a 4th grade hide (the static seek of dwarves). The leader of the dwarves, equipped with a bejeweled cane, dazzling crown and many other pieces of jewelry, will approach the kids. An odd contraption around his head sits holding his eyes wide open, and the players notice all the other dwarves have the same thing. He starts to question them about their escape from the Sandman. Mentioning the scarabs or skittering noises from the tunnels will perk his interest as he gets jittery with excitement. The dwarf introduces himself as Greedy, one of the fabled 7 dwarves, but he was cast out because of his kleptomaniacal tendencies. Greedy will try to employ the players to use his key (a scarab necklace that he wears at all times) to open the chest containing enchanted dream catchers that fizzle all attempts of the Sandman's to send victims into an eternal slumber. Refusing Greedy's terms will only result in having the golemns sicked on the kids to try and pin them and turn them over to the Sandman. Evading the lumbering giants isn't hard, and the kids would easily be able to make it back into the tunnels."

So far this is all I have, I'll be working on finishing it, but I have a lot of school work to balance with my Grimm bostezo.gif . Please comment, I'd love to hear your suggestions, changes, new ideas or implementations...anything, as long as it's constructive!

I thought that I would point out this interesting Sandman tidbit from wikipedia. Perhaps some inspiration may ensue...

E. T. A. Hoffmann (1776-1822) wrote an inverse depiction of the lovable character in a story called Der Sandmann, which showed how sinister such a character could be made. According to the protagonist's nurse, he threw sand in the eyes of children who wouldn't sleep, with the result of those eyes falling out and being collected by the Sandman, who then takes the eyes to his iron nest on the moon, and uses them to feed his children. The protagonist of the story grows to associate this nightmarish creature with the genuinely sinister figure of his father's associate Coppelius.

I love this idea of the Sandman's Lair, especially the timed trap. Although part of me wants to bring the plotlines back to standard fairy tales.

For instance, instead of a scarab king, perhaps the person trying to oppose the Sandman is princess Aurora of Sleeping Beauty fame, being assisted by her 3 fairy friends. In typically Grimm tragic styyle she did sleep for 100 years, and so did everyone in her kingdom, but unlike her everyone else continued to age. So by the time she was awakened by the Prince all of her friends and family had long-since died. Waking up in a kingdom of rotted bodies and skeletons drove her quite insane, however, resulting in the prince wanting nothing to do with her. Now seeking revenge, she sews dreamcatchers on her magical spindle. Instead of scarab beetles, she has skittering giant rats (which can also instill the same creepy scene as the beetles). Her fairy friends are now too old to have any more power, other than perhaps flight - no wishes or spells, but they stay by her side and try to keep her safe out of a sense of responsibility for her plight. Also working for the Sandman is the evil witch that originally cursed Aurora.

GameBear, you're the best. I really didn't like the scarab idea but it was all I could think of at the time. You answered my wish to add a more fairy tale aspect to it, so thanks! The idea of Aurora vs. Sandman seems perfect since she knows all too well what its like to sleep forever, so she's out to stop his madness. As for the twisted Sandman in Der Sandman....that is too cool to pass up. Perhaps the contraptions on the dwarves heads could be used to shield their eyes from his sand, as well as to keep their eyes open so they don't fall asleep (the original intent). I think I'll be making some changes to this one, you gave me a lot of ideas. Perhaps after they defeat the Sandman, the kids find a clue that points them to maleficent, who would be an unbelievable finale to a Grimm saga, and her plans to not only overthrow the Rotten King but also twist the Grimm lands into a more terrible and twisted place than they already are.

As for the Sandman himself, I'm thinking maybe he should have 2 stat charts - one for in the Grimm World and one for in the Dream World (although kids shouldn't be fighting him without dream catchers so they don't have to fight him in the dream world). He would be relatively weak in the Grimm World. I'd like his ultimate weakness lie in the kids that he has trapped in a slumber around his room. If the players go around waking the kids, the Sandman gets progressively weaker since his true self resides in the dream world created by his victims.

Well, considering your amazing imagination i am glad i could give some inspiration in return! Perhaps Maleficent IS the dragon from page 202? I can;t wait to see what you finally come up with. i am sure to use it in my own campaign...

Soooo I'm going to start my next session in a couple days, hopefully Thursday, and I thought I'd post what I have planned. Just an overview.

I have already introduced my players to Captain Hook, he is part of a "resistance" group that took the kids in and hid them from the Rotten King's servants within the first 5 or so minutes. So the players think this group is on their side....well, they're not. Though they may be against the Rotten King (each one has been a victim of the Rotten King's cruel ways), they are still malevolent characters. The players were told to unite the peoples of the Checkerboard Kingdom against the Rotten King (the resistance group thought this to be an impossible task, but it's proving otherwise). Well, during our leave of absence, the kids have been resting up at the resistance group's hovel. Beginning our next game, Hook will approach the kids, telling them of a terrible fate that has become of Peter Pan and the Lost Boys of Never Land. They're not sure what happened, but Peter has simply disappeared and the Lost Boys have all gone insane. Hook has caught word that the native creatures want help from the Checkerboard inhabitants and he hopes to restore his former glory as Admiral of the Naval fleet for the Glorious Empire (in other words, he wants Peter Pan's treasure demonio.gif , everything else is just fluff) by helping them.

On their way to the beach, the caravan will have to cross a bridge over one of the Rioting River's small outcroppings. Of course, no bridge is complete without a troll. But this bridge has 2 trolls. (Side Note: My players have an advantage with all trolls not in correspondence with the Rotten King. They rid a troll of a menacing witch and brought her head as a trophy. The nutcracker killed and beheaded her....don't worry, these children are still innocent. So the Troll carried good word from bridge to bridge, avoiding those marked by a Prancing Horse - the Rotten Kings emblem - ....but the players don't know that part). This bridge is clearly marked with a prancing horse on massive banner. Both trolls will ask for payment, "or else!" There are several ways around this, asking the members with them on the caravan for donations, using imagination/luck to try and find change in their pocket, preoccupying the trolls by turning them against each other and just moving on passed.

Finally at the beach, the players are greeted by the beautiful Sea in the most perfect conditions imaginable - sunny, slightly windy, perfect waves and plenty of tidal pools to play in. But this isn't uncommon, for this is how the Sea greats everyone. The players will notice one thing missing though, and that's any sign of a ship to sail to Never Land in. Small encampments have been set up dotting the shore for sailors waiting for ships to arrive. Simple necessities like food, shelter and bathrooms can be found here, but not much else, and for a price. But Hook has his own private encampment set up much larger than the others, already populated and being managed with supplies, caravans being emptied, and crew being issued commands. While the players are here, several things are going to be taken into consideration:

• What kind of oddities the shore washes up (I'm not sure if I'll do random or determined, because I like the first on the list for Dangerous Oddities pg 166).
  • How they behave on the beach to determine which face of the Sea will arrive that night.
  • Players' interactions with the Pirates to see if they find out Hook's ulterior motifs.
  • Players' interactions with the Sea when she arrives in human form the night before their departure.

The next morning, the players will wake to the sound of Captain Hook screaming orders to his crew. Looking around they will see a giant peach "docked" in front of the encampment, being loaded with supplies in crates of all sizes. As the last box is loaded on the vessel, Hook hobbles over to the players, gestures to the peach and waits for them to board before finally setting out for Never Land. This is where my adventure will end on Thursday, and where I will pick up on Saturday, finishing with their perilous voyage across the see and their the trip through Never Land to save Peter Pan (see other forum post - the 3rd post).

I'm back, with an update on our last session. Picking up where we left off, the players had just convinced two trolls to let them pass toll-free and had broken through the Great and Aweful Forest, emerging at the face of the sea. Captain Hook and his caravan lead the kids to his private encapment while they waited for an appropriate vessel to wash ashore to get to Never Land. Meanwhile, the players decided to go look for a conch shell (using luck) for the Dreamer to turn into a second Keepsake using his Bonus Keepsake ability. We decided that he could use his imagination to alter the shell into a spear like weapon that used Imagination instead of Scrap during combat (stature advantages are given as if using scrap still). Afterwards, I asked the players how they spend the rest of the day on the beach and they chose to spend it playing "splashing around and ****". Later that night during dinner with the pirates, a surpise awaited them as the chef slammed a giant octopus on the table, giving the first 7 pirates to present a Piece of Eight one of the octopus legs. Of course the players were in on this, rolling quickly to figure out what counts as a Piece of Eight (anything insignificant), so the Bully tossed in an apple core and the Dreamer gave up a stone foot. After recieving a leg of the octopus, they found out every octopus has something magical about its legs, but you never know what until you've eaten it. No immediate effects made themselves evident.

Night fell, and the time for sleep was upon them. All the single beds were taken or reserved, leaving only two sets of bunk beds with the top bunk already occupied. The bully chose to sleep with the fat pirate and the dreamer with the skinny pirate. During the night, the dreamer was asked to make a seek check to hear the pirate muttering about killing the lost boys and stealing their treasure, and perhaps even the treasure of Peter Pan. He didn't really know what to think of this, just casting it aside figuring "Eh, he's a pirate...". In the morning, though, the Bully had been kept awake all night by the constant snoring of the pirate above him, when suddenly he heard the scream of a little girl. When he gets up, he sees a small girl being dragged into the water by a crazed Lost Denizen (Used the Maiden of Gulls since they acted like children the day before). Being the kind of bully that likes to impress the women and grows up to be a douchebag doing douchey things to impress them, he naturally grabs his bat and thunders down to save her. Between the wresting fish-man-thing's disadvantages and the bully's double sixes for scrap, the Lost Denizen was sent flying into the sunrise never to be seen again by his friends or family. The Maiden was now equally as scared of the bully, but when he offered his hand to help her up, she offered her basket for him to pick from - receiving an Apricot. Turning around, he faced all of Captain Hook's fleet gawking at his raw power, and as if to reinforce the Sea's gratitude, a Giant Peach was sent ashore for them to load up and set out for Never Land.

Out at sea, the skies turned dark and the waters choppy. A man's voice could be heard out in the thick of the mist. The players weren't sure what it meant, but after a quick crack of lightning the sky and water turned a deep crimson and rain turned the water into a violent torrent. It was then that the players found out what awaited them when Hook shouted "M-m-m-MOBY ****!!!!". Captain Ahab and his dingy of pirates were being dragged by Moby **** head on towards the Peach, and when they arrived, the pirates breached the peach while Moby **** assaulted the Peach. Turns out Ahab couldn't spear Moby when he finally had the chance and the two ended up falling Mad in loved due to the obsession they had over one another. Now they work as a team. At the beginning of each round, the players had to make a 3rd grade scamper to stay on their feet as Moby rammed the Peach, otherwise spend their turn getting up. The bully got tired of falling and decided to stay grounded and just crawl his way to Ahab and just assault his peg leg from the ground. I let the players roll for Captain Hook and they all decided to gang up on Ahab. After the first round, since the pirates mistakenly put the cannons inside the peach and can't see out, the player with the highest luck would roll, then roll two dice. He could add or subtract up to his performing grade level in luck to the 2nd result to determing which "o'clock" the pirates were ordered to fire the cannons at Moby ****. (For instance: I have 3rd grade luck, I roll a 4 and perform at 3rd grade. Then I roll two dice for a 2 and a 3 making a total of 5. I can now add or subtract up to my Luck grade of 3 from 5 determing which "o'clock" the cannons fire. So I subtract 2, firing the cannons at 3 O'clock, right into the head of Moby ****) If the players chose 1, 2 or 3 they hit Moby **** and stopped him from his tyrade.

mobyz.jpg

They players successfully defeated the pirates and Ahab...and Moby ****. They arrived at Never Land in the evening, with the sun setting behind the mountain and the clouds encircling the island turning an enchanting purple. With the first stars finally emerging, the players were asked to roll luck again and follow same procedures as above. Rolling two dice, then adding/subtracting their grade in luck from the last result to determine where on the island they land. I will continue their adventure on Never Land when they actually free all of the lost boys and Peter Pan, so far they've freed 3 lost boys.