Action phase(movement)

By Maedhros2, in Battles of Napoleon

Hi!

I just got the game and I am in my second reading of the rules and I have some difficulties with the Formation change/Wheel and Move part of the rules.

Is there some one who can explain me clearly how they works?

Thank you very much.

Ho dear! You can perform one(1)!! and only one!!!, of the 3 actions in the first segment and one of the two in the second segment... now that make sens! hahah!

You can only fight once though...ie a fire OR a melee. So if you shoot in the first segment of the action phase you only have one choice in the second segment, that is to do a formation change/ wheel.

Clio said:

You can only fight once though...ie a fire OR a melee. So if you shoot in the first segment of the action phase you only have one choice in the second segment, that is to do a formation change/ wheel.

That is not how I understood the rules. Where exactly is this restriction listed?

I don't think it is very clear, but think...why do you need those melee and fire markers ?

How does "a single enemy unit may be attacked only once during the activation of a given unit group" work ??

Does an" activation" occur in both the first and second segments of the action phase ?

Just can't work out why you need the melee and fire markers ...!!

Activation occurs in both phases separately. Also, each unit group has its own activation in both phases.

The markers serve as reminders. You have to announce what each unit will do in its activation before you actually carry out any actions. In large unit groups, it could be helpful to use the markers to remind you which action you have announced for that unit.

Clio said:

I don't think it is very clear, but think...why do you need those melee and fire markers ?

As you have to declare all Fire combats and Mêlée combats in advance, you mark the units with the counters. Rules state on p. 32: "To keep track of which unit are firing or engaging in mêlée, place a "Fire" or "Mêlée" counter in their hex - this counter is removed at the end of the appropriate segment ." (My underscore) That means that the Fire counters are removed at the end of a unit group's First segment and the Mêlée counters, at the end of a unit goups's second segment. (I don't think that the counters are removed after all unit goups have performed a segment as I'm not sure there are enough counters anyway).

Also, the rules look clear to me on p. 29: Under "First segment of the action phase": "Each individual unit in the currently active group may perform one of the following three actions, [...]", the third one being Fire. Then, when all the unit groups are done with the first segment, the second segment takes place. Again, the rules state: "Each individual unit in the group currently activated may perform one of the two following actions, [...]", the second one being Mêlée/Cavalry charge.

I hope those lines help clarify things up.

MB

Yes thats my understanding/reading of it. That each segment is separate and therefore the markers are used to identify the unit action in each segment.

Sorry to be dense, but to be sure:

First, we indicate what all the units are doing either fire or melee.

Then in the first segment, we move / wheel / etc and fire the units with the 'fire' markers ... they are done with fighting.

Then in the second segment we move / wheel (can we move a unit again that moved in the first segment?) then we melee .. they are done fighting.

Correct?

In my oppinion, the rules allow a unit to fire in the first action phase and charge in the second as there is nothing indicating they must choose one option or the other. As a reenactor this makes sense. Each turn represents 20 or so minutes. It was a common British tactic in the Revolutionary War (which I am most familiar with) to advance to close range, open fire, and then innitiate a bayonet assualt on an enemy hopefully not fully recovered from the shock of the volley. The game allows an attacker to try to soften up the enemy a bit before going in with bayonets.

Newman55f9 said:

In my oppinion, the rules allow a unit to fire in the first action phase and charge in the second as there is nothing indicating they must choose one option or the other.

Correct, units can act in both action phases.