Me vs Friend: Game 4

By Stormtower2, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

I didn't see a specific forum for recording and sharing game sessions; but here's my latest experience!

I've tinkered my set of all-Valyrian 40-card decks, and brought them today to a lunchtime get-together. My opponent had played older versions of a Baratheon and a Stark deck, so she decided to try playing Lannister in this game. I wanted to see how my re-tooled Baratheon deck looked, so I played that.

To keep the game quick, we agreed to play to 10 power.

I'll list the contents of the two decks after the round by round breakdown. As I've done before, I'm going to focus on the characters as they are played, and skip the resource cards.

--------
Setup.
--------
.. Baratheon sets out Toll Collector (Frey), Old Red Priest, and Ser Axell's Herald
.. Lannister sets out Septon of Dorne

quick note: I forgot to reinforce the meaning of the keyword "Limited", and I didn't notice until the 2nd round that my opponent was playing multiple limited locations. Ah, the joys of newbie-hood!

--------
Round 1.
--------
Baratheon plots Counting Coppers (and draw 2 cards); Lannister plots Securing Support (and gets a fiefdom). With Axell's help, I win initiative.

Marshalling
.. Baratheon marshalls: Old Red Priest, and Host of the Twins
.. Lannister marshalls: King's Men, and a Dragonbone Hilt dagger attached to the Septon

Challenges
.. Baratheon challenges with military, using the Herald. Lannister defends with King's Men; Baratheon loses his challenge.
.. Baratheon challenges with intrigue, using the two priests. Lannister defends with Septon; Baratheon wins his challenge.
.. Baratheon challenges with power, using the Host. Lannister unable to defend; Baratheon wins his challenge, unopposed. (B+1 = 1)
.. Baratheon plays An Enemy Disgraced, draws 3 cards.
.. Lannister unable to do any challenges

Dominance: Baratheon wins dominance. (B+1 = 2)

--------
Round 2.
--------
Baratheon plots Blockade. Lannister plots Taxation. With Axell's help, I win initiative. Lannister was actually rather desperate to get gold and catch up on the character count. I managed to slow her down.

Marshalling
.. Baratheon marshalls: plays 2 The Winning Side, and then gets Host of the Twins, Flame Reader, and Brienne of Tarth
.. Lannister marshalls: Elder Septon, and Tyrion Lannister

Challenges
.. Baratheon challenges with intrigue, using the Flame Reader. Lannister defends with Elder Septon; Baratheon wins his challenge.
.. Baratheon challenges with military, using Brienne with two Hosts. Lannister defends with King's Men; Baratheon wins his challenge. (Elder Septon killed) (renown B+1 = 3)
.. Baratheon challenges with power, using a Priest. Lannister defends with Tyrion; Baratheon loses his challenge.
.. Lannister challenges with intrigue, using Septon of Dorne and stealths past the other Priest. Baratheon unable to defend; Lannister wins her challenge, unopposed (L+1 = 1)

Dominance: Baratheon wins dominance. (B+1 = 4)

--------
Round 3.
--------
Baratheon plots Storm of Swords. Lannister plots Clash of Kings. With Axell's help, I win initiative.

Marshalling
.. Baratheon marshalls: Court Achivist
.. Lannister marshalls: King's Men, and Cersei Lannister

Challenges
.. Baratheon challenges with intrigue, using the Flame Reader. Lannister defends with Septon of Dorne; Baratheon wins his challenge.
.. Baratheon challenges with military, using Brienne with two Hosts. Lannister defends with 2x King's Men and Tyrion; Baratheon loses his challenge.
.. Baratheon challenges with power, using 2 Priests and Herald. Lannister defends with Cersei; Baratheon wins his challenge. (B+1 = 5) (L-1 = 0)
.. Baratheon plays Rally to the True King, and stands Brienne.
.. Baratheon challenges with military, using Brienne. Lannister cannot defend; Baratheon wins his challenge, unopposed (B+2 = 7) (Septon killed)
.. Lannister unable to do any challenges

Dominance: Baratheon wins dominance. (B+1 = 8)

--------
Round 4.
--------
Baratheon plots Clash of Kings. Lannister plots Blockade. With Axell's help, I win initiative.

Marshalling
.. Baratheon marshalls: Young Walder
.. Lannister marshalls: Ser Jaime Lannister

Challenges
.. Baratheon challenges with intrigue, using the Flame Reader. Lannister defends with Cersei; Baratheon wins his challenge.
.. Baratheon challenges with power, using Archivist and Herald. Lannister doesn't defend; Baratheon wins his challenge. (B+1 = 9)
.. Baratheon challenges with military, using Brienne, Priest, Walder with two Hosts (str=18). Lannister defends with 2x King's Men and Tyrion and Jaime and A Lannister's Ruthlessness (str=20); Baratheon loses his challenge. (renown L+1 = 1)
.. Baratheon challenges with power, using 1 Priest. Lannister cannot defend; Baratheon wins his challenge. (B+1 = 10)

Baratheon wins 10 - 1

--------------------------------------------

Looking back, I'm not sure if Lannister's deck is truly suboptimal, or if the cards just didn't come out to present a better challenge. But it seemed that Baratheon's lock on initiative and Lannister's "must defend as much as possible" attitude led to the Baratheon win. I think it might be possible for Lannister to put Baratheon on a more defensive mode by letting some of Baratheon's challenges go by undefended, and Lannister takes an offensive stance (with stealth) on their turn.

As the Baratheon player, I know that the King's Men was a threat; and I neutralized it by taking initiative to go first and make a military challenge that I hoped would force Lannister to defend -- and she did. However, if I were Lannister at Round 1, I think it would have been to Lannister's advantage to keep the King's Men around for a military challenge; and while it would mean sacrificing the Septon early, it would also force Baratheon to start watching out. As it is, the defensive stance at round 1 just continued through the entire match. Baratheon was confident of facing minimal challenges.

=========================
Here's the deck lists:

----------------------
Lannister + treaty-Martell
Stealth pressure
----------------------
Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Blockade
Preemptive Strike
Ready as We'll Ever Be
Securing Support
Taxation

Tyrion Lannister x3
Dragonbone Hilt Dagger x3
Dornish Caravaneer x3
Gullible x1

Ser Jaime Lannister x2
Cersei Lannister x2
Elder Septon x2
Septon of Dorne x2
King's Men x3

The Greenblood x2
A Martell's Pride x1
Tyrion's Chain x1
A Lannister's Ruthlessness x3
An Enemy Disgraced x2

Western Fiefdom x2
Kingsroad Inn x2
Kingsroad Keep x2
Crossroads x2
Wealth of the Rock x2

----------------------
Baratheon + the Twins
Frey Big Armies + Baratheon reknown
----------------------

Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Blockade
Preemptive Strike
Ready as We'll Ever Be
Calling in Favors
Counting Coppers

Stannis Baratheon x2
Renly Baratheon x2
Dragonstone Dungeons x2
An Enemy Disgraced x2
A Baratheon's Charm x1
Rally to the True King x1

Brienne of Tarth x1
Ser Axell's Herald x2
Flame Reader x2
Old Red Priest x3
Court Archivist x2

Walder Frey x1
Toll Collector x1
Host of the Twins x5
Young Walder x3

Stormlands Fiefdoms x1
Crossroads x3
Kingsroad Farmstead x3
The Winning Side x3

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading the game summaries. House Lannister has a lot going for them so don't be to quick to give up on them, especially if you like the house.

Thanks.

I'll probably insist on playing Lannister on the next game or two; since I built the decks, I kinda know how I wanted them to work. So the best way for me to see them in action would be to play each one

Quick Update ...

I played Lannister against two friends, they played the Stark and Baratheon decks I described before. I wasn't able to take any notes on the game, unfortunately. Again, we decided to play for 10 victory points.

It was a pretty exciting melee, the game actually went through 6 plots, and took roughly 2 hours (one friend takes about 5-10 minutes to go through each phase, due to over-analyzing how strong each of the other players are becoming).

After about 3 plots, I only had 3 victory, Baratheon had 4, and Stark had 6.

Baratheon actually had a pretty hefty set of Armies (3 Host of the Twins), but got himself held back by having chosen to go first every turn, and had Walder Frey in play. Baratheon was also not drawing resource-generating locations, so he was only able to play 1 or 2 cards each turn. Walder Frey was eventually chosen to pay a military claim. Baratheon later takes advantage of Clash of Kings against Stark's undefended territory.

Stark had slightly less armies; but I fear that the player did not understand how Walder Frey would have allowed her to attack with one pumped-up character and win against one of Baratheon's 5-strength army. She had kept deciding to attack Lannister instead, and I would use an Elder Septon to reduce her strength, then block with my own army.

Lannister was surviving with the help of several Ruthlessness, and an early Enemy Disgraced. I eventually get Tyrion's Chain out, and used that to encourage the Baratheon - Stark war to continue. Lannister crept up with Stealthy intrigue, and Stealth-assisted military challenges (with many thanks to Septon of Dorne).

At the end of 5 plots, Baratheon led with 8, Lannister just managed to tie up to 8, and Stark was down to 4.

Stark started the 6th plot, and I watched in great anticipation as she tries one last desperate challenge to take away my power. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to muster enough ... and I already had two Elder Septons in play (powered up with 4 story events).

Lannister finishes off by launching a 4-stealth-character power challenge at Stark.

Final scores: Lannister 10, Baratheon 8, Stark 3.

Final analysis: The game might have turned out different if Baratheon had resource-generating locations early in the game. Unfortunately, both Stark and Lannister managed to hit Baratheon with intrigue challenges early in the game as well. Both of those effectively stopped Baratheon from getting Stannis into play. Lannister was blessed by having a resource-generating card played during every turn a 4th turn Blockade didn't slow Lannister down, either. I'm uncertain as to why Stark wasn't playing any Eddards or Ashas until the 6th plot; perhaps there was just too much temptation to bring out Whispering Wood Raiders instead. I think Baratheon could have won the game, given slightly different circumstances. However, I'm pretty happy with how well the Lannister deck worked, I probaby won't be tweaking it.