stalwart

By Aegon_V, in Battles of Westeros

if i have 3 units all adjacent to each other, like in a triangle, would all three units be considered stalwart?

Yes-as long as their all adjacent & in a triangle they would be.In a line only the middle Unit would qualify.

OD

Keep in mind using a "triangle" formation leaves you very open to having your unit destroyed if it's forced to flee (towards your own game board) and can't because it's blocked by two of your own units.

it might seem like a good idea but if your opponent rolls a couple of flags you could be in big trouble

A "reverse-wedge" triangle (2-up, 1-back) would leave a retreat route, while still giving all 3 units stalwart.

The problem with any triangle has to be that the lead units can be outnumbered & flanked. Simply because 1/3 of the units are kept out of contact, just to provide stalwart to the other 2 units. Against enemy cavelry it's certainly worth using this formation, to prevent use of "Persuit". Against enemy infantry it might be better to form a line, and accept the occasional "advance" .

All this talk of 'triangles' v cavalry and 'line' v infantry is beginning to look like the real medieval tactics of 'line', 'column', 'wedge' and 'square'. Could this game be starting to get more 'REAL'? Just the fact that players are talking more about 'tactics' is encouraging. Perhaps we will start to get seminars and treatise soon on how to best use 'Kennelmasters' with 'Archers' against 'Heavy Infantry' supported by 'Cavalry'. I wonder when the first Honours Degree in Battles of Westeros tactics will be won. Cheers!

Rashley said:

how to best use 'Kennelmasters' with 'Archers' /QUOTE]

Your joking, kennelmasters & archers. :D

Co-ordinating different units types is not a good idea, some of the command cards only affect multiple units if they are the same type.

And both kennelmasters & archers are "missile" units (think of the kennelmaster as a westross-musket (with dogs instead of gunpowder) So there is no compensating synergy to be gained for the liability of making the commands less efficient.

Now Pikes & Kennelmasters, that might be effective (if Stark had Pikes)

lannister said:

Keep in mind using a "triangle" formation leaves you very open to having your unit destroyed if it's forced to flee (towards your own game board) and can't because it's blocked by two of your own units.

it might seem like a good idea but if your opponent rolls a couple of flags you could be in big trouble

Seeing as how Stalwart ignores the first morale and there is only one possible morale result per die, I am feeling pretty good with those odds. And there's a counter attack. And there's all sorts of follow up attack possibilities that I'm not going to get into here. There's better ways to deal with wedges than praying for black flags.

qwertyuiop said:

Seeing as .... there is only one possible morale result per die,

I recall a couple of leaders who have command cards which cause a 2nd morale result whenever one is rolled.

But in scenarios not including those, the odds are good.