Assassin - too powerful

By player182901, in Talisman

Hi

Anyone had the feeling that the assassin is too pwerful with his assassinate ability : denies any enemy (except Sentinel and characters initiating attacking assasssin) the addition of 1d6 to its attack score. This effectively gives the Assassin +6 bonus in attacks! Or have I mssed something?

Assassin,

As far as I know, if you draw a dragon card, you do not get to use the assassinate ability becasue the creature is attacking you. If the monster or Dragon etc is already on the board, then you get to use it. He tends to clean up the board a lot.

Attacking a Character: Getting a +6 each time? not really. You can do the math, but here are the general basics.

If you attack someone who is higher than you, like 2-4 points, you have a fairly good chance of success as failure. If you attack a character who is lower than you with your assasinate, it really does not matter, becasue odds wise you would beat them anyway even if you didnt use your power.

The avarage roll of 1 dice is 3.5. and being you eliminated his minimum roll of 1, I would say the Assassinate ability is roughly a 1-3 bonus. (not quite 6)

HallowKnight said:

Assassin,

As far as I know, if you draw a dragon card, you do not get to use the assassinate ability becasue the creature is attacking you. If the monster or Dragon etc is already on the board, then you get to use it. He tends to clean up the board a lot.

That's how the Assassin used to work, with the FFG edition, he can assassinate even enemies he draws enfadado.gif . There's a thread about him here somewhere.

Dam said:

HallowKnight said:

That's how the Assassin used to work, with the FFG edition, he can assassinate even enemies he draws enfadado.gif . There's a thread about him here somewhere.

i confirm that. on BI edition the text says you attack (but not when you are attacked by), you may not use your power against werewolf and pitfiend. These phrases are omitted, so in this edition assassin power it's the same, but less clear. on game rules when a player draw a card is attacked by the monster. later if asassin land on a monster card face up (or another player) may use the ability. obviously pitfiend and werewolf, in 4th revised, are really easy for the assassin...

the assassin possible is powerful at the start of the game but once characters have armour then it's fifty/fifty that the assassin can take a life, unless the character is on their last life then what's the point unless the assassin has the runesword

also for my game as a house rule creature quoted on the card is for animals not monsters, spirits or dragons which restricts the assassin

and as to pitfiends and the werewolf i'd say nope as with all the squares with enemies on them they ain't characters or creatures

Just played the game with 5 of my friends and the Assassin character was ridiculously at an advantage. The Assasin player sucked up the strength monsters via assasination and had an overwhelming amount of strength from cashing in the monsters killed. Rule modifications are really needed to weken this character. I logged on to this site and got an account just so I could mention this.

the advantage of the assassin is the average one die but with fate the advantage is less important !

his power is important but he has nothing else !

the other ar important too, the prophtress are powerfull too

it's depent on wich card you take !

ravachol said:

the other ar important too, the prophtress are powerfull too

it's depent on wich card you take !

exactly. the first card may be discarded, but prophetess keep the second wich finds, she can't choose like other editions of Talisman (BI, 3rd, snd...). Less powerful in this FFG flavor... gui%C3%B1o.gif

The assassin's ability works when you "attack" a "creature" or "Character" in the new edition. Technically, since there are no "creatures" in the deck or on the board, this can only be used on Characters. Now that everything is keyworded for clarity, it should probably read "Enemy," the keyword on Adventure Cards, rather than "creature."

And since it refers to Combat, it probably means "non-spirit Enemy."

And since it says you "attack" rather than "when attacked by," it probably means "only face up, non-spirit Enemies on Adventure Cards when landed upon"

Ultimately, MUCH less powerful than some people are suggesting. Use against the werewolf/pitfiends is probably acceptable with the current wording, but is still a bit of a stretch.

librarycharlie said:

The assassin's ability works when you "attack" a "creature" or "Character" in the new edition. Technically, since there are no "creatures" in the deck or on the board, this can only be used on Characters. Now that everything is keyworded for clarity, it should probably read "Enemy," the keyword on Adventure Cards, rather than "creature."

And since it refers to Combat, it probably means "non-spirit Enemy."

And since it says you "attack" rather than "when attacked by," it probably means "only face up, non-spirit Enemies on Adventure Cards when landed upon"

Ultimately, MUCH less powerful than some people are suggesting. Use against the werewolf/pitfiends is probably acceptable with the current wording, but is still a bit of a stretch.

That is what the rules read, but not how you're supposed to interpret them it seems. As here is the latest quote on the Assassin (from another thread):

"This rule is only a general rule to show new players how battles are resolved. The Assassin may assassinate any Enemy, whether or not he just drew it or landed on it."

and

"In summary, the Assassin may assassinate any creatures in battle, including the Sentinel, or the Pit Fiends or Werewolf in the Inner Region. Yes he has been beefed up for the revised edition. He may only assassinate another character when he attacks them, but not on the Crown of Command!"

from this thread:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=49&efcid=1&efidt=22694