Roads

By player295707, in Battles of Westeros

In order to get the bonus +1 move from roads, do you have to start your movement in a road hex, or do you only count the hexes you move into?

yea we wondered that too, what we did is you got one road free every move even if you were just going across it. I know it is probably wrong but i did not know how else to do it

As I understand it, you can start on a non-road hex and the extra hex moved can be out of the road also, but all the hex you moved on have to be road hexes.

I also had to think twice about this, as in other games, you normally get a 'road bonus' for starting and staying on a road. However, as the bonus hex is allowed 'off road' here, the problem arises with the meaning of 'uses road movement'. Is moving onto a road from a non-road hex, actually 'using a road'? As written, I have to go along with Bernado. Until officially notified otherwise, I will be using the rule as you can move onto a road on your first hex, stay on the road and then move your extra on/off the road. Notice that Stark has a good force just off the road in the first scenario. Cheers!

Well if you look at other movement rules in the game, "effects" on movement trigger when entering a hex so I believe that your figures are always "affected by the hexes the enter into, not the one they leave.

So with this reasoning in mind I believe that you could start your movement "offroad" and as long as your legal move is done on a raod then your final "extra" move can be used.

Makes sense, so I think we'll go with not having to start on the road. It also seems a bit too restrictive if you have to start on the road. So unless anything official is noted, well go with that.

Thanks!

Would love the official answer to this.

I'm sure that one of the games designers wrote an explanation about this on Boardgamegeek. He said something like 'as long as you move all movement spaces on the road you get 1 extra movement allowance. This can be used at the end of the movement to continue down the road or move off road.' He then said 'If there is an empty hex between your unit and the road before you move you can use the empty hex as the bonus move as long as all the other movements are used on the road'. Don't quote me word for word but I'm sure I read that on Boardgamegeek in the rules forum.

monk said:

I'm sure that one of the games designers wrote an explanation about this on Boardgamegeek. He said something like 'as long as you move all movement spaces on the road you get 1 extra movement allowance. This can be used at the end of the movement to continue down the road or move off road.' He then said 'If there is an empty hex between your unit and the road before you move you can use the empty hex as the bonus move as long as all the other movements are used on the road'. Don't quote me word for word but I'm sure I read that on Boardgamegeek in the rules forum.

Just checked the above, I'm wrong! He just said in order to use the +1 movement you can either begin movement on a road or adjacent to it, as long as the normal movement allowance takes place on the road.