Training decks?

By MarthWMaster, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

A friend and I have agreed to be partners in crime with regard to the purchasing and playing of this game. As it happens, our school schedules this fall are going to line up perfectly, allowing us to play our fill of Call of Cthulhu on any given week. She suggested that we do this in the campus commons area, so that we might pique the interest of passersby, and hopefully add new people to the game's fold over time.

I have found that in these cases, it is generally a good idea to send them away with some cards. Unwittingly, they set their stack of Call of Cthulhu cards on the nightstand, and after they drift off to sleep, the dark allure of the Old Ones attacks them relentlessly. By the time morning has come, they're probably ready to seek out cards of their own, because honestly, how often do people want to play one of these games without customizing a deck to call their own?

Thus, I have to ask if there is any sort of demoing program available, which would allow the two of us to order free cards, legal or non-legal, for the purpose of sharing the game with strangers?

When I do any kind of demo, I only use cards from the core set. I do this because thats where someone who buys the game will start, and at least they'll know a little about the cards as they make their first decks.

You can also print out the downloadable cards from the original CCG: http://www.livingcardgames.com/ffg_content/coc/support/CoCdemodecks.pdf

My girlfriend and I just bought the core set and two Asylum Packs yesterday. I was hoping there would be some kind of pre-constructed deck guide in the core set that would help us get a feel for what factions were best at or the kinds of things to look out for when building decks of our own.

We read the rules cover-to-cover and we're aware of the segment that suggests combining two faction cards and the neutrals, but it isn't necessarily helpful in what to watch out for when building.

Shame they don't have set training decks.

Rumb13stiltzkin said:

My girlfriend and I just bought the core set and two Asylum Packs yesterday. I was hoping there would be some kind of pre-constructed deck guide in the core set that would help us get a feel for what factions were best at or the kinds of things to look out for when building decks of our own.

We read the rules cover-to-cover and we're aware of the segment that suggests combining two faction cards and the neutrals, but it isn't necessarily helpful in what to watch out for when building.

Shame they don't have set training decks.

Some of the inserts from the AP have descriptions of the factions, that may help you. Honestly, I think If you and your girlfriend just build decks using any 2 factions from the core set, then thrown in a few independents, you would get a good basis on how each faction is geared. The core set actually has a lot of decent cards.

The LCG format does not lend itself so hot towards expendable demo products... not entirely sure why...