ganging up at 3 metres / neural whip (/grox whip)

By Sirion2, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

can I gang up at range (2 or 3 meters) with a neural whip (/grox whip) and who does benefit from it?

does it work if 2 whip users are at 3m

does it work if one is engaged and one is at 3 m (and does it work for both or only for the whip user)

and do I fire into melee if two whip users fight each other at 3m?

If I am understanding this question, this is how I would handle it:

- You are using a Ranged-Melee attack not a Ranged attack.

- You would not get a point blank bonus since it is a melee attack.

- I would, since it is a ranged attack, count the penalty for Shooting into Melee towards your WS.

- I would grant the player(s) wielding the Whip the Ganging Up bonus. This would also offset the Shooting into Melee penalty.

- If player A is engaged in a knife fight with Heretic Bob and player C attacks Heretic Bob with a Whip, at range, I would grant C the Ganging Up bonus but A would not gain it. If both Player A and C were engaged in melee, not at range, with Heretic Bob then both A and C would gain the Ganging Up bonus.

- If both player A and C were using whips, and were at range, I would grant both players the Ganging Up bonus but in this instance I would not consider Heretic Bob to be engaged in melee. Heretic Bob would be free to run away without retaliation from the Slaanesh worshiping players.

I must admit I haven't read up on this special whip (book?), but I would be loath to combine ranged and melee mechanics in one attack.

If it works somewhat like whips in D&D I would make it a melee attack only, usable up to 3 meters away (I do the se oname for Pikes etc.).

If more than one attacks the same character this way I would allow the ganging up bonus, even if some of them were using normal reach melee weapons (1-2 meters).

I would not apply a "firing into melee" penalty for using a whip against an enemy already engaged by a friend.

The enemy engaged by the whip-user would count as being in melee if he shoots (no +30, pistols only). Yes it's a bit weird, but so are the normal rules as well (can't use a shotgun simply because someone has a sword in reach).

As for others firing into melee... well I might actually allow them to shoot the guy with the whip/reach weapon without penalty as there would be less chance of hitting the wrong guy.

Not exactly RAW, but my take at least. If the weapon itself doesn't specify how it works then it's a GM call anyway.