Descent Official Characters

By Wanderer999, in Descent Home Brews

I must start with the most important note - NONE OF THESE WERE MADE BY ME!!!

This is a collection of all the OFFICIAL characters who were made but are not available for purchase on the market. They were either available at some point during events and promos as well as for certain rare advertising promotions and incentives to get new sets. All in all, they are no longer available for sale, and never will be. For the sake of the general public like myself, I have posted them all here so you guys can just print them out and use them just like normal. Just wanted to do something for Descent community again :)

NaratheFang.jpg

JonastheKind.jpg

TruthseerKel.jpg

TobinFarslayer.jpg

And yes, I know many fellow Descent fans have been searching high and low for the superb creations that won honorable mentions (FFG's Character Creation Contest for Descent). I have turned them all into printable editions so they are playable as Heroes. Take note that all pictures were taken from my discretion and are in no way the original intent of the creators'. The contest did not have pictures, so I had to find some to make the Heroes usable. Here they are:

HAGGLETOOTH

Creator: Andrew Imellezzeri

Winner of the entire contest!

HaggletoothHeroCard.jpg

TEMMAN THE WATCHFUL

Creator: Paul Butler

Honorable Mention!

TemmanHeroCard.jpg

LASTUCIA

Creator: Mat Jones

Honorable Mention!

LastuciaHeroCard.jpg

ALEXANDER FEY

Creator: Patrick Harrison Moss

Honorable Mention!

AFeyHeroCard.jpg

Note that Jonas, Kell and Tobin were not designed by FFG either (Nara I think was).

They were created by foreign language distributors for issue with their licensed productions of Descent. After some pressure/lobbying, mostly by 'completists' rather than 'gamers' (note, that's my biased opinion! gran_risa.gif ), FFG eventually released them themselves.

These heroes, particularly (well, only, Jonas isn't that bad) Kell and Tobin, are poorly designed, obviously by people with limited experience in the game, and are very overpowered in many circumstances. Use them at your own peril!

Hi Corbon, actually my group thought that Jonas was particularly dirty with his surrender trick. My group fears cursed monsters and especially undying ones alot. With his ability, and the power enhancements from the black dice, its pretty ez for Jonas to kill them without any effects or repercussions! Imagine my frustration when a cursed monster dies without its curse taking effect on its killer...

Wanderer999 said:

Hi Corbon, actually my group thought that Jonas was particularly dirty with his surrender trick. My group fears cursed monsters and especially undying ones alot. With his ability, and the power enhancements from the black dice, its pretty ez for Jonas to kill them without any effects or repercussions! Imagine my frustration when a cursed monster dies without its curse taking effect on its killer...

Its a nice trick, but very far from game breaking. It makes a small difference (1 curse token, or counter undying which only works 1/3 anyway) to a tiny proportion of monsters, and both these affects can be fairly easily acheved by other skills or equipment available to any hero (subject to draw) anyway.

Ignoring all LOS obstructions (at least they cleaned her up for spawning, which wasn't the case for the original release) is far more devastating, especially on a 'pure' hero (traits and skills perfectly aligned in a singe area).
For example, she can stand behind tank heroes and rubble and lob blast attacks throughboth, and the first layer of monsters, into the most critically effective space. And you can't hid your bosses (or Command-ers) behind layers of other monsters to protect them - she'll just pick them off without problem.

And Tobin can do some insane ranged damage, especially in advanced campaigns. He's not quite so bad in dungeons with LOS rarely more than 7 or 8 spaces, but put him on a cannon and he can kill sink an enemy ship across the board with a single shot, or kill a Lt with a single shot maybe, at range 15-20.

Why wouldn´t Jonas get a Cursed token when defeating a monster with Black Curse? His ability says "treat it as killed", meaning he receives anything as normal - 50 coins, curse tokens, runekeys, etc.

Only Undying is specifically ignored.

Thats probably poor writing once again...

Basically the idea is that he spares the life of the monster and does not kill it, and it 'repents', leaving the dungeon for good. The part of 'treat it as killed' is more to let the players understand that the figure doesn't just stay there or hang around like an idiot, but is removed from the board just like it was killed. My playgroups play it this way, and so the curse is not inflicted.

Wanderer999 said:

And yes, I know many fellow Descent fans have been searching high and low for the superb creations that won honorable mentions (FFG's Character Creation Contest for Descent).

If by that you mean one guy casually asked about them a long time ago .

And the contest wasn't about creating playable heroes, it was about writing character backgrounds. It was judged on creative writing, not creative game design or balance.

The heroes' stats look like they were all built with the official build-your-own-hero rules, except that the first one substituted his own ability (kudos to him). Not just because they are all legal under those rules (most of them with BP to spare) and all use abilities from that document (except the first one), but because there's also a strong tendency towards bizarrely high conquest values and/or viciously split traits and skills, which rarely show up in official heroes but are heavily incentivized by those rules.

I don't think they're particularly good examples of interesting or balanced hero design, or of min/maxing under those rules. Which is entirely understandable and justified, since that wasn't the point of the contest, but it makes posting character cards without the winning flavor text fairly pointless.

I do remember there was definitely more than ONE guy interested in checking out the contest winning entries :(

Thanks for the link anywaez, managed to get Drakon out as well.

Here she is: (Creator - Matthew Saloff)

DrakonHeroCard.jpg

I for one am glad you listed them. Always love seeing these types of creations, and had not see some before :)

-shnar

Superb!

I guess this is the closest thing we will get to "official" FFG releases.

New to me, so that's awesome!