Second Game - Notes & Questions

By Arkobla Conn, in Battles of Napoleon

My son and I played our second game - which was Scenario 1. One of the special rules of the scenario was that the French (me) had to stay in column formation. Ugh. That did not help the cause at all.

So the British formed up their line, sent out skirmishers and waited for the French to Advance. The French Calvary started out having one of their units out of command, and that was a delay while they got that sorted out. The French Right side of the Line was also significantly further away than the left.

As the battle commenced, there was a decent equalibrium until unties began retreating or routing. It wasn't until late in the game when some good manuevering by the British yielded some excellent results. Their middle held as well, with only the right flank starting to buckle by game end (but still after eliminating an entire group).

Overall, we had fun, although as the French, I didn't like the scenario, which is historically a bad loss for the French. I verified that result, losing 25 figures lost to 13, but that barely told the tale as 4 of the 13 I killed were 2 artillary figures (which count double) and he killed several of my commanders (which aren't counted).

I specifically wanted to take notes through this play to make observations and ask questions...

1. Question - Can a movement card move an out of command unit? IE if your calvary unit is out of command (and thus 'cannot move') - can an event card during the movement phase allow it to move anyway?

2. Observation - Moving Hex Vertix to Vertix makes it appear that the units are 'sliding' from one hex to another yes? It's an odd way to move as opposed to hex sides.

3. Question - If an artillary piece is higher than another unit does it still get +1 for being higher at 2 hexes away?

4. Question - Is there a downfall to skirmishers?

5. Observation - Changing orders is hard. I wanted my unit of calvary to change to a movement order from the attack order it had. Having a 5 base number to follow orders, I still needed a 6 plus on the die to execute them. It seems very difficult. (and subsequently, we don't change orders all that much)

6. Quesiton - If one unit of a group is in Hex A and another is in Hex C and another unit from another group is in Hex B (between them), Can the UGC occupy the middle Hex (of the group he doesn't belong to?) so that his two units stay 'in command"

7. Situation - French Column attacks British Line. British play event card to 'Counter charge with beyonets'. British cause retreat of Calvary - Question - do they get to advance?

8. Question - Can a unit that used the formation change segment to eliminate a disorder token then be used to support in the same action phase?

9. Question - A Calvary unit with a manuver order can move 2 hexes. Can they use 'At the Gallop' Event to increase that to 3? (The card says that the Calvary unit can move '2 hexes' instead of 1. Should it read...'move an extra hex'? (Or is it not available because the calvary is 'already galloping'.

10. Observation - Either Calvary Suck in this game or I suck using them. :) I can't seem to hit a unit that doesn't go into a square. And then they are mired in that area. They don't seem 'as manueverable' as I'd like.

I think that covers the basics. Don't let anything I've said deter you. We had lots of fun and I can tell from the first game we learned alot and will continue with tactics as we continue to play...

Arkobla

Correction on 7 - it was infantry charging infantry and thus counter charged. (He ended up going first and causing a retreat of my army).

1. Question - Can a movement card move an out of command unit? IE if your calvary unit is out of command (and thus 'cannot move') - can an event card during the movement phase allow it to move anyway?

No, because you cannot play any cards on out of command units

2. Observation - Moving Hex Vertix to Vertix makes it appear that the units are 'sliding' from one hex to another yes? It's an odd way to move as opposed to hex sides.

3. Question - If an artillary piece is higher than another unit does it still get +1 for being higher at 2 hexes away?

Yes

4. Question - Is there a downfall to skirmishers?

Generally spoken, you cannot target a skirmisher figure if it's combined with closed order unit.

5. Observation - Changing orders is hard. I wanted my unit of calvary to change to a movement order from the attack order it had. Having a 5 base number to follow orders, I still needed a 6 plus on the die to execute them. It seems very difficult. (and subsequently, we don't change orders all that much)

Yes it’s hard if you can’t use the entire chain of command. For example at Maida, if you combine the CinC orders bonus (3) with the cavalry group commander value (5) you obtain a base number of 8. You'll need only a 3 or more on die roll!

6. Quesiton - If one unit of a group is in Hex A and another is in Hex C and another unit from another group is in Hex B (between them), Can the UGC occupy the middle Hex (of the group he doesn't belong to?) so that his two units stay 'in command"

Yes, but remember: you cannot use any UGC bonus (morale, melee) on unit in hex B because it’s part of another group. Only the CC can modify any units of his side, the UGC are strictly restrained to his units

7. Situation - French Column attacks British Line. British play event card to 'Counter charge with beyonets'. British cause retreat of Calvary Infantry- Question - do they get to advance?

Depends. The british line must advance if it have an attack order, otherwise it cannot advance. As for advance after fire, the line will be automatically disordered at the end of advance move.

8. Question - Can a unit that used the formation change segment to eliminate a disorder token then be used to support in the same action phase?

No. During a single action phase a unit can do only ONE action. In your example, the disordered unit can remove the disorder status OR can melee. In the second case, it cannot support any friendly unit because it is disordered, but can receive support from good ordered units.

9. Question - A Calvary unit with a manuver order can move 2 hexes. Can they use 'At the Gallop' Event to increase that to 3? (The card says that the Calvary unit can move '2 hexes' instead of 1. Should it read...'move an extra hex'? (Or is it not available because the calvary is 'already galloping'.

Yes, the cavalry is already galloping! You can use this card only on cavalry unit with attack order

10. Observation - Either Calvary Suck in this game or I suck using them. :) I can't seem to hit a unit that doesn't go into a square. And then they are mired in that area. They don't seem 'as manueverable' as I'd like.

Cavalry is a strong… but it’s also a delicate instrument of war. It’s really hard to play … I suggest you, if you allow me, to recall your cavalry after a charge, and carefully use it to smash a weak enemy instead a strong, good order one. The combined use of the arms (infantry, artillery and of course cavalry) is the best way to win a battle.