I have never played a paper and dice game before...

By Futurecast, in Grimm RPG

...But I own a non-d20 copy of Grimm. I want to run a campaign for me and some friends and maybe take it online to storycrafter.com later. happy.gif

I have a lot of confusion as to quite how I should go about this, but my biggest unknown is:

• How do you determine travelling in gameplay terms? Do players roll dice or wait in real time? Do you instantly travel from one world to another? Do characters need to sleep on the way?

Any answers at all would be greatly appreciated and sent comradely thanks.

It depends on the need of the story. If the story needs this much detail then yes, if not then no. For example when I ran Midnight because of the nature of the setting I had the players keep track of food. This is the only time in any game I have done this. In anouther game set in a modern time you do not roleplay cheacking into the hotel.

As for travel, give as much detail as is needed for the story. If you just want the players to get to where they are going then just tell them how long it takes to get to where they are going with some minor details to give them an idea of the terrian they are traveling though. If you have something interesting planed then spice up the details.

Hope this helps.

Thanks it does. I'm a little confused as to why there is no mention of how this should be done in the rule book.

The rules seem to cover almost everything, but a very fundamental thing such as travelling is not explained :-S

Anyway I want to do a more survivalistic form of gameplay, so I'll probably draw a grid for each area. On each square different things (some are empty) maybe it takes one minute in real time to move from one square to another. Players can chat or practice spells/skills on the way. Description and atmosphere should come from the narrator when the players seem quiet/bored.

I'll keep track of food but I won't make starvation likely.

I think that the main reason that travel times are not discussed in detail is because the lay of the land is mutable. Most things in the Grimmlands do not stay in the same place forever. I think most kingdoms move round in the land like the Stray kingdom as discribed in the book but just not as often. In this setting travel times (as well as maps of the kingdoms) would become obsolite quickly.

As an aside, if you are not going to make starvation a likely issue then keeping track of food seems to be more of a compliction than is nessicary and may detract of the game. This is just my oppinion as it is your game.

Hope the game works out for you.

Hey! Welcome to the hobby! I hope you have a good time with it! I haven't gotten a chance to run Grimm yet, but I've read it a couple of times and I think it looks like a nice, straightforward system.

My advice regarding travel (and hey, lots of other details) is to focus on it when it would be focused on in a movie. If you are inexperiences with RPGs, movies are a great point of reference for you. Obviously, RPGs aren't exactly like movies, but there are a lot of things you know about movies that will help. Is the travel important? Does it make the characters feel lonely, afraid, or desperate? Do they see lands of great wonder or terrifying enemies? Don't bore your players (the audience) with every step the characters take, just the ones that mean something.

Let us know how it goes for you!