Terrain

By Semeket, in Anima: Tactics

As I'm new to the game, I was wondering which type of terrain people use for the games? Do you use model scenery or board games tiles with the square grids? Does it make a difference to game play?

I'm thinking of using 1" grid tiles as I have a large selection of the Skeleton Key Games tiles.

Its mostly based on what people have with them at the moment but there are certain advantages of 2d and 3d terrain.

Grid terrain e.g. Descent/D&D starter terraine has some closed spaces and forms a maze, so it is hard to charge , integlible characters have more use and ranged attacks are less effective. New empire formation Yuri , Macbeth , Liliana & CO would abuss this kind of terrain and nearly all wissenshaft units would get their asses handed to them in such a board.

As for 3d is some kind of standard for anim tactics game, as you can see the rulebook uses non grid board as a default. But even 3d has its flaws as you come up with multiple elevations and really high towers. This makes AD characters powerful as hell because not only they can start in such position but climbing ther usualy would mean spending 2 extra move actions and sometimes your character would be unable to put his mini on the top beacuse the enemy mini uses too much or all the space there is. You can imagine how Cordelia, Goethia and Daniel abuse elevations.

Thanks for the reply. I still think I'll go for 2D terrain, but I'll take your advice and ensure that in dungeon maps, there's a balance of twisting corridors and long halls. In fact, I'll just start the printer going!

If your not fighting/playing the empire team i mentioned before, roll with 2d , but let me tell you something , to beat them I had to use the most backhanded tactics , best dream matchup fighters, well placed 3d terrain and my most abussive church team consisting of Romeo , Damien , Xavier , Astraega, Evangeline, Alis. Even with all this I only tide. In a maze you can't run circles, there are no elevations, they will come at the enemy as a bulletproof bulldozer. The only one character that might be able to defeat that team in a maze like terrain is Legacy and he is pushed back. My guess is that if you met this guys in your maze you will end up like Balin but I hope you wont

They play test on GW terrain. It's been ruled that terrain where only one model can fit isn't meant to be used in the game.

Cannerus said:

They play test on GW terrain. It's been ruled that terrain where only one model can fit isn't meant to be used in the game.

True true but nevertheless it's not hard to find players that can position a figure in a 4 person balcony or a ramp and at the same time refuse to let any other mini to stand there withouth falling from the edges. According to the rules and unsportly at the same time.

To get terrain on to the table does not need to cost a arm and leg, plus months of work. For my on-the-road demo games I use an old army blanket (from a yardsale) and cut foam from your local craft store flocked to the same color as the blanket, want roads or creeks, buy one of those $1 cans at Walleymart. There, ground, hills, water. For trees I have different kind from the pines found at the local craft store (after Christmas real cheap) and you can those in bags o'trees at your hobby store. There, ground, hills, water, trees., a few bucks and you are playing.... go to a gaming convention that has a fleamarket (my favorite online site is called bartertown) for your buildings, walls, etc. Now take your time building your real nice scenery while you learn the rules with your "on-the-road" terrain.