so many games to try

By MS_IGLOO, in Tide of Iron

hello to everyone i decided to finally buy this game i was going to the hobby store all this week and i couldn't help myself i'm sure some of you are like that also

so i picked up everything for this game

and not seeing this game played before i was a little shocked at how small the pieces were at that point i thought about the game micro armor and said at least its not that bad i just dont understand how you can play with pieces that small (microarmor)

and it took me 2 times reading the rules to understand everything its not as bad as what i read on the forums about how the rule book was written

and from what i see and how much money i spend and how much FFG gives you in the boxes and book im happy

im sure it will keep me busy for a long time im just wondering how do you guys play do you play your game when its over do you switch army ?

its just me and my dad playing people i talk to are not into the board game they play video games only im trying to find a gameing group

i lnow this is a little off topic not being a TOI question another game i picked up was combat commander and the exspansions i read the rules for this half the rules i got but some of the others are difficult to understand i think i found my difficulty level and from what i read its a step up from memour 44 so my question is i looked already but i can not find a FAQS page or a play by play page is there anyone that can help me with this game

and yes my total bill was $960 so the guys at the hobby store were happy to see me

one last thing the way the world crisis is going i dont want to buy garbage games we all have to be careful with our money

thanks in advance matt

MS_IGLOO said:

hello to everyone i decided to finally buy this game i was going to the hobby store all this week and i couldn't help myself i'm sure some of you are like that also so i picked up everything for this game...

... my total bill was $960 so the guys at the hobby store were happy to see me one last thing the way the world crisis is going i dont want to buy garbage games we all have to be careful with our money thanks in advance matt

$960.00 bucks!?! sorpresa.gif Holy Crap! preocupado.gif

Well, TOI is no "garbage" game. There are a lot of resources on here to help you along in understanding this game, it's not nearly as difficult as the rulebook may make it seem like. I'd suggest taking the time to sit down and setup one of the smaller scenarios, and play it out solo. That ought to do it, then you should have a good enough grasp of the mechanics to tutor an opponent through a game. They have a great introductory scenario available on this website that is great for self learning and teaching this to a friend.

In this economically difficult time, you'll find that you've spent your money on a top quality game, and you'd be hard pressed to find another that would top it IMO.

Just out of curiosity...how much did you pay for TOI? serio.gif

The best way to learn the rules is to play through a scenerio. My friend and I played through the recommended intro scenerio offered on the FFG website. Between us, we were able to work through most of the rules. We didn't even dare to incorporate every rule and I'm sure we missed many of the fiddly rules. After we got a handle on the flow of the game, we tried a scenerio with a bigger board and more varied pieces. In affect, we took baby steps and incorporated more rules when we felt reasonably comfy with the rules we were dealing with. For me, I learn much better if I get to see the rules in actual play so I'll skim the book the first time and read it in more depth the second read through. Afterwards, I'll drag a friend to try out a game with me. It helps immensly if you or your friend is familair with a variety of wargames such as my friend was (He plays FoW as well as other historical miniatures game).

There was a FAQ posted but I have not checked since FFG switched to a new board.

If you have questions, you can ask directly to a FFG employee or just post your questions on this board and someone will answer your question.

Imagine that the rulebook had been written without punctuation. It would seem pretty rude to someone wanting to understand the rules. As we can see from all the rule questions, communication is difficult enough, when the rules of communication are followed.