Tadask's First Heroes

By Tadask Nezerull, in Descent Home Brews

I'll post some Hero Cards for them here when I have the chance. For now, though, I'm just going to post Stats for review. None of these characters have yet been play-tested, though they were all made with Anti-Stone's wonderful generator (Hand-Tailored) with some special abilities I have created. I'd like some feedback on the characters if possible.

Name: Lerick the Coward

Wounds: 8

Fatigue: 4

Armor: 0

Movement: 4

Traits: 3 Ranged

Skills: 3 Subterfuge

Hero Ability: You gain double coins from coin piles. You gain 100 extra coins from each chest. You start with 100 extra coins.

Conquest Value: 2

Recommended Figure: Any rogue-like figure would work well for Lerick, preferably a halfling or gnome.

Name: Veran the Golem

Wounds: 24

Fatigue: 5

Traits: 3 Melee

Skills: 3 Fighting

Hero Ability: You cannot be healed. You suffer 1 fewer wounds than usual each time you are wounded.

Conquest Value: 5

Recommended Figure: Any golem-like figure, preferable rock or clay golems.

Name: Amurzdv

Wounds: 12

Armor: 2

Movement: 6

Traits: 1 Each

Skills: 1 Each

Hero Ability: Once per turn, you may spend 1 fatigue to draw a random Subterfuge skill. You must shuffle it back into the deck at the start of your next turn.

Recommended Figure: Any Druid-Like figure will work well, preferably an elf.

Name: Shianna and Annabelle

Wounds: 16

Armor: 1

Movement: 3

Hero Ability: You may carry 5 extra items in your backpack. You may equip one extra "Other" item. Each turn, you may make one extra attack if you have not been wounded since your previous turn.

Conquest Value: 4

Recommended Figure: Any two-headed lizard-man or half-dragon figure will work well for Anna.

Name: Ka'ava Mygoan

Fatigue: 2

Movement: 8

Traits: 1 Each

Skills: 2 Subterfuge, 1 Wizardry

Hero Ability: You can move through Water and Rubble. When you declare a Run action, you may move three times your speed instead of twice your speed.

Conquest Value: 3

Recommended Figure: A small dragon figure, such as a D&D Minis Blue Wyrmling.

Name: Draackis Denoriff

Fatigue: 3

Armor: 3

Traits: 3 Magic

Skills: 3 Wizardry

Hero Ability: You ignore all effects of fire. Blast and Breath attacks don't affect you. When you discard an Aim order to make an Aimed Magic attack, that attack gets the Breath ability.

Recommended Figure: Any red-scaled Lizard-Folk or Half-Dragon figure works well for Draackis.

Name: Drake Felwrought

Traits: 2 Melee, 1 Magic

Skills: 1 Fighting, 2 Subterfuge

Hero Ability: Pay 1 Fatigue to make a Shadow Double token with 6 Movement which is treated as a familiar. You may pay 1 Fatigue to swap places with one of your Shadow Doubles.

Recommended Figure: Any black-scaled half-dragon or lizardfolk will work well for Drake.

Name: Eareucales

Movement: 5

Hero Ability: +2 damage vs. Melee monsters. Your attacks deal +2 damage if you have maximum fatigue when their damage is applied.

Recommended Figure: Any Fighter-Type wielding a Spear and Shield will work well for Eareucales.

Name: Behura Asura

Armor: 4

Traits: 1 Ranged, 2 Magic

Skills: 1 Subterfuge, 2 Wizardry

Hero Ability: Your attacks have Burn. You have Aura and Ironskin. You may not equip Runes or Armor.

Recommended Figure: Any celestial (Or demon with flaming wings) will work well for Behura.

Name: Flowz Exrimannis

Hero Ability: Your attacks have Daze and Knockback. You gain +2 range on all attacks, and +2 damage vs. Ranged monsters.

Recommended Figure: Any archer will work well for Flowz, preferably elven.

Name: Guildoon Drackon

Wounds: 24

Traits: 1 Melee, 2 Magic

Skills: 1 Fighting, 2 Wizardry

Hero Ability: Whenever you are attacked by an enemy, you do as much damage to that enemy as that enemy does to you.

Recommended Figure: Any heavily armored figure in red armor will work well for Guildoon

Notes: I know Guildoon is a bit OP, but was having trouble coming up with a better ability that fit his character. I'm thinking of replacing his Reflection style ability with something based on sight, since he's blind.

Name: Moon Blackpelt

Armor: 5

Hero Ability: You gain no benefit from vitality potions. At the start of your turn, recover 1 fatigue. You have Ironskin. You may not equip Runes or Armor.

Recommended Figure: Any heavily armored beast-folk will work well enough for Moon, though preferably something wolfish.

Name: Soupspoon Kerwilliger

Movement: 7

Traits: 1 Ranged

Skills: 4 Subterfuge

Hero Ability: You can move through Water and Rubble. When you declare a Run action, you may pay 1 Fatigue to move four times your speed instead of twice your speed.

Recommended Figure: Any small miniature will work well for Soupspoon, preferably a halfling.

Name: Malk' Zzlllcka

Traits: 2 Melee, 1 Ranged

Skills: 2 Fighting, 1 Subterfuge

Hero Ability: You can wield items as if you have two additional hands. You ignore Off-Hand bonuses, but attack with each weapon equipped. Extra attacks deal only half damage.

Recommended Figure:

Notes: I know, another semi-broken Hero. Thinking of Scrapping Malk, or maybe reducing her to just wielding two extra hands worth of stuff.

Name: Mark Two

Armor: 6

Hero Ability: You gain no benefit from vitality potions. You cannot be healed. You have Ironskin. You may not equip Runes or Armor.

Recommended Figure: Any extremely heavily armored figure will work for Mark, as will any mechanical, armored figure.

Name: Robest Giardua

Traits: 2 Melee, 2 Magic

Skills: 2 Fighting, 2 Wizardry

Hero Ability: You take up four spaces (Like an ogre) and have Reach. Blast and Breath attacks don't affect you. You may equip runes while wearing Armor that would ordinarily prevent it.

Recommended Figure: Battlemage Jeas would work well, as would any robed figure with a sword, or armored figure wielding magic.

Name: Rueatsueh

Armor: 3

Traits: 1 Training Token Each (See Below)

Skills: 1 Each (See Below)

Hero Ability: During the beginning of your turn, discard all Skills and Training Tokens and replace them randomly. 1-2: Melee/Fighting, 3-4: Ranged/Subterfuge, 5-6: Magic/Wizardry.

Recommended Figure: Any creature mostly composed of tentacles, boils, or any slimy mass will work wonderfully for Rue.

Notes: Considering making an alternate version that makes spawns from dead creatures that the player commands.

Name: Samuel Masashi

Traits: 5 Melee

Hero Ability: Your attacks have Bleed. +2 damage vs Melee monsters. You may equip one extra "Other" item. While equipping two melee weapons, you may recieve off-hand bonuses from both.

Recommended Figure: Any Dual-Wielding humanoid will work well for Samuel.

Name: Snakes

Traits: 3 Magic

Skills: 5 Wizardry

Hero Ability: You have Shadowcloak and Undying. You may equip runes while wearing armor that would ordinarily prevent it.

Conquest Value: 6

Recommended Figure: Any cloaked, barely discernible figure works well for Snakes.

Notes: I know he's a bit broken, thinking of removing Shadowcloak to make him less so.

Name: Vixallas Sonch' El

Hero Ability: You dont lose coins when you die. You gain double coins from coin piles and master monsters. You gain 100 extra coins from each chest. You can shop in any location (as if you were in town).

Recommended Figure: Any small, fox-like figure will work well for Vixallas. I intend on using a small anthropomorphic fox with a purple scarf that I've had for awhile.

Name: Xander Jsgard

Wounds: 20

Traits: 2 Melee, 1 Ranged

Hero Ability: You may carry 5 extra items in your pack. You may pay 1 Fatigue to instantly kill any non-master, unnamed spawn you hit in melee.

Recommended Figure: Any figure with a greatsword will work wonderfully for Xander.

Name: Ebon

Wounds: 44

Traits: 2 Melee

Skills: 2 Fighting

Hero Ability: You may use a single two-handed Melee weapon as if it were a one-handed weapon.

Conquest Value: 8

Recommended Figure: Any large black man works well for Ebon.

Notes: Remember, it's just a flesh wound.

Name: Glimmer Evilbane

Traits: 1 Ranged, 2 Magic

Skills: 2 Subterfuge, 1 Wizardry

Hero Ability: The Overlord produces 1 less Threat per turn. Spawn and Trap cards cost an additional 2 to play. The Overlord cannot spawn monsters in spaces that have line of sight to any empty space adjacent to you.

Recommended Figure: Any small fairy will work well for Glimmer.

U are in dire need of IAM's Fantasy Card Editor. Search this forum or boardgamegeeks for the program. I forgot where I got it, but its still around.

Indeed. I got someone (Hopefully) sending it to me.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! I got my hands on it!

Expect to see many, many evil and brilliant creations in the near future >:3

Edit: Also, I have no way of crediting all the wonderful artists for their art, unfortunately, but I thank them all for being so amazing, and all they need do is e-mail me asking me to remove the artwork from the card.

I know Soupspoon's Conquest value is only 1, but it seems fair enough overall. Also, I'm posting the alternate version of Rue. All bow to Dragon Cthulhu, or she will eat you.

HEROXanderYsgard.jpg

HEROVixallas.jpg

HEROVerantheGolem.jpg

HEROSoupspoonKerwilliger.jpg

HEROSnakes.jpg

HEROSamuel.jpg

HERORueatsueh.jpg

Note: Should open with 1/1/1 skills.

HERORueatsuehAlternate.jpg

Note: Will fix ASAP, but the Alternate Rue should have 1/1/1 for Starting Skills.

HERORobestGiardua.jpg

HEROMoonBlackpelt.jpg

HEROMarkTwo.jpg

HEROMalk.jpg

HEROLericktheCoward-1.jpg

HEROKaava-1.jpg

HEROGuildoonDrackon-1.jpg

HEROGlimmer-1.jpg

HEROFlowz-1.jpg

HEROEareucales-1.jpg

HERODrakeFelwrought-1.jpg

HERODraackisDenoriff-1.jpg

HEROBehuraAsura-1.jpg

HEROAnna-1.jpg

Aaaand the Rueling Creature card. I'll be making an OL card to spawn them too :3

CREATURERueling-1.jpg

With all due respect, you should play some quests first... Almost all of your characters are either too useless or too powerful. You really need to understand the superb value of skills. Giving 5 skills off the bat and yet more abilities is screaming imbalanced hero. And also fatigue. If a character has no effect from drinking a Vitality potion, that character is the lousiest creation in the history of Descent.

Yeah, I intend to get some play done with them. But it's summer, and all my friends have been rather busy. You know how it is with 16-22 Year Olds in summer. Anywho, personally our group's never bothered with Vitality potions. We just take a step back and rest >.>

But yeah, I need to sit down and adjust most of these characters eitherway.

Also, I realize that Snakes, for example, is VERY powerful, but he's also a prime target for everything the overlord ever spawns (Thanks to his 6 Conquest value, and 16 Wounds). I could, a bit later in an adventure, take him down in three or four turns easy, and cost the players 6 Conquest. A lot of these really powerful seeming Heroes have semi-low Wounds or Armor, and high Conquest despite it.

Also, all the ones that can't benefit from Healing or Vitality Potions have plenty of Wounds or Fatigue to compensate, for the most part. I didn't bother posting Ebon, because I found him to be far too broken with 44 Wounds, even not being able to wear armor.

But anywho, a lot of the reason I'm posting them here is to help get them more balanced. There is, after all, only two ways to rebalance something. One is through play, and the other is through review. I've posted them here to get your humble opinions of them all :3

Edit: Also, characters such as Glimmer and Lerick are Support characters, and aren't really meant to be out front fighting necessarily. They're meant to back up the main fighters just by being there, even if otherwise they're useless.

Edit #2: I've been reading through them, and I'm thinking of revising a bunch of them. Instead of giving them passive abilities, I should rework their Hero Abilities to be more Use-Oriented. Anywho, I'll sit down and revise them probably some time today or tomorrow, gonna get my friends' opinions on them too.

Veran the Golem: Tested. I'm going to be editing his abilities a bit, but otherwise he seems balanced well enough to me. I managed to take him out (With a bit of difficulty, thanks to my very tactically minded friend) without using too much though. A few Master Skeletons make easy work of him, when you're meleeing him with some Beastmen of varying difficulties. He was soloing, but he had drawn the Cleaving skill, which allowed him to sacrifice 1 Fatigue to make a free, extra attack.

Veran's revised Hero Ability?

You recieve 1 less Wounds from any source. At the beginning of your turn, you may pay 1 Fatigue to heal 2 Wounds. You cannot wear Armor.

Edit: Forgot the "You cannot be healed" in his ability. This, of course, does not extend to his own ability. Also, posting the new version, and Ebon, who needs some rebalance work done too.

HEROEbon.jpg

HEROVerantheGolem-2.jpg

Tadask Nezerull said:

Anywho, personally our group's never bothered with Vitality potions. We just take a step back and rest >.>

Two words - game over...

P.S: I rest my case :(

Yeah, it can be really bad, but then again I'm kindof a "Kind" overlord. I don't swarm the players with masses of monsters. Instead, I find more insidious ways to kill them. Let's just say that Trapmaster's my single favorite card.

Tadask Nezerull said:

Yeah, it can be really bad, but then again I'm kindof a "Kind" overlord.

Game Over x 2? lengua.gif No good Overlord gives mercy or is 'kind' and in fact the excitement of the challenge dwindles down when the OL is 'kind'. You ought to go all out on the players at every turn of their journey.

Also, there are several types of Overlords.

There are the:

General type - Plays anything and everything. All rounder.

Spawn type - Bogs players down by spamming monsters all over the map, blocking them as much as possible. This type aims to slow players down with useless battles and gain threats as well as clear the deck. A very slow type of game here.

Trap type - Focuses on traps to kill the heroes off. Discards many spawn cards for threats to play traps, and at times, even Power cards so that they can play critical traps at important moments.

Power type - Gets power cards out early in the game because they are most effective when played early. This type often sacrifices many good cards in order to attain the threats they need for their Powers to be played quickly.

Deck type - Uses the deck really fast via Urgency + Evil Genius. Combined with spawning, the heroes lose conquest without even moving forward much.

I myself am a Trap Overlord too, simply because this type is the most fun experience for everyone (all my players vote me as the best OL amongst them) as the pace is very smooth and constant. If I play constantly on spawns, the game slows to a drag and things get boring quickly. I only spawn monsters when there's a chance they can damage the heroes, not when they can block and delay the heroes' paths - unless its to prevent them from getting a chest. (speaking of which I often spawn Kobold swarms at the far end of the earth and never touch them, using them for their Trickery ability to get cheaper threat costs on all my traps)

Wanderer999 said:

Also, there are several types of Overlords.

There are the:

General type - Plays anything and everything. All rounder.

Spawn type - Bogs players down by spamming monsters all over the map, blocking them as much as possible. This type aims to slow players down with useless battles and gain threats as well as clear the deck. A very slow type of game here.

Trap type - Focuses on traps to kill the heroes off. Discards many spawn cards for threats to play traps, and at times, even Power cards so that they can play critical traps at important moments.

Power type - Gets power cards out early in the game because they are most effective when played early. This type often sacrifices many good cards in order to attain the threats they need for their Powers to be played quickly.

Deck type - Uses the deck really fast via Urgency + Evil Genius. Combined with spawning, the heroes lose conquest without even moving forward much.

I never thought about this, but you are absolutely right. I think, I am the Power type and will have my players confused next time we play, when turning into a Trap type. Thank you for pointing this out. gran_risa.gif

You will probably find that the Trap type Overlord gives a more realistic feel of dangerous adventuring in dungeons, not to mention it moves the game much faster. Usually for me, I will read the quest I am going to be OL for, and then decide on whether Trap type or Spawn type is the better way. If its a huge map, spawn type OL will cause everyone to become bored. Similarly if its a small map with few doors and chests, a trap type won't get to play much. You have to mix in all of the types according to the map and stage of progress lengua.gif

Yeah, my friend tried OLing this last weekend. He decided it would be fun to continually spawn creatures against two players before we ever even got to a chest. There's a certain point between being a "Good" or "Evil" overlord, and being a douchebag. When you spawn hoards of monsters before the players ever get to do anything, then the only one having fun is you.

Here's how it went. We were testing characters. I was playing Ka'ava Mygoan, and my friend Willie was playing Malk Zzlllcka. We started off quick and I ran into the next room and retreated (No armor + Low HP = Dead quick character). OL's turn. He draws his cards and discards two Power cards, summoned a Bane Spider Swarm and blocks us off. We fight some, kill a couple, next turn he summons Skellies. Then A few Beastmen War Parties. Then some Sorcerers and Hellhounds. All before we ever even touched a Treasure Chest or Gold Pile.

There's a certain point when you just aren't having fun playing under an OL. Also, I think I'm going to be using some Home-Rules on how often OLs can spawn creatures since that encounter. Probably 1 Spawn/Turn vs 3-4 Players, 1 Spawn/2 Turns vs 2 players, and 1 Spawn/3 Turns vs 1 Player. That gives the player(s) time to kill the spawns before the OL starts spawning more stuff, especially early in the game before the players have any decent gear.

Seriously u cant playtest characters when ur playtest group is playing the wrong way... And ur OL seems to have lots of spawn cards.... Did he even shuffle?

P.S: The ultimate failure of your playtest group is still their wrong play style, without using Fatigue properly or trying to kill all monsters in the area... They aren't even supposed to be killing everything they see. This is a game of rushing through the dungeon in a race against the OL, not clearing the dungeon like a PC game.

Yeah, I know, but the OL was blocking our way with Bane Spiders. And he did shuffle, but he was still pulling a lot of Spawns.

Eitherway, it's just the way we play. We rarely use Fatigue potions (For whatever reason)...