Putting the Uber in Ubersreik >> A closer look at the setting for The Edge of Night adventure

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

A short while ago, I announced an upcoming adventure called The Edge of Night . This exciting adventure centres around political intrigue in the town of Ubersreik, and important crossroads in the Reikland. As the story unfolds, the PCs may soon find themselves swept up in the machinations of several rival noble families each vying for control of Ubersreik.

Baron Manfred Holzenauer, a visiting nobleman, is hosting an extravagant masquerade ball, which has quickly become the talk of the town. It will surely be an important venue for the noble families to further their agendas and rally support from Ubersreik’s most esteemed and influential citizens.

This designer diary goes into more detail about the town of Ubersreik, showcasing why it makes such a compelling centre-point for the adventure.

Fantastic! This is what got me into WFRP all the way back in the First Edition - the storytelling! The adventures have such a great sense of drama, of intrigue - of "the face behind the mask" feel. This adventure sounds in the grand tradition of The Enemy Within and Power Behind the Throne.

Now if I could only find a group to play with in the Kansas City Metro area - i can find no players (I have the core set and GM and Player's kits), and also don't know of any retailer in town hosting the Black Fire Pass event....

Greame Davis! I'm glad to see this oldest of old-school WFRP writer still doing his stuff. I'm very much looking forward to what he has done this time. (I bet his name will also give 3e more cred with the old grognards.)

Also: the von Saponatheim family! I've always wanted to do something with them. I'm glad to see them making an appearance.

Just in time! My players have just completed "An Eye..." and are moving to Ubersreik next. This gives me quite a few little seeds to play with. Nice to see Graeme Davis in the mix of WFRP3 writers as well.

The scenario is brilliant, playtesting it was pure unadulterated pleasure.

If Mr Davis is heavily involved in this, this could turn out to be RPG gold.

I think I am possibly looking more forward to this than WoM now....

I wonder how big it is? Comparably to TGS, or slightly smaller? Bigger!!?

pumpkin said:

You could argue that it's not really WFRP if Greame Davis hasn't worked on it. There aren't a lot of WFRP books that don't have his name somewhere in the credits.

mcv said:

pumpkin said:

You could argue that it's not really WFRP if Greame Davis hasn't worked on it. There aren't a lot of WFRP books that don't have his name somewhere in the credits.

You could certainly agrue the principle of that, but I'm not sure how much actively he has done since the early releases for V2. I think a lot of the credits are simply because the V2 books re-hash information and text already provided by Davis (and others) from V1 publications.

I certainly think it is the first V3 product he has been heavily involved in, anyway.

I'd also like to think this means TEoN will retain much of the ironic humour prevalent in V1, that WFRP became so well known for, that was somewhat lacking in many of the V2 products (which has already been nicely revived in the V3 products so far though and so may it continue!)

Should be good,

It's good to see some old writers from WFRP. "The Oldenhaller Contract" was one of my favourite one shot adventure - I don't even remember how many time I've played it.

And about Ubersreik - the feeling of the city is great. So diferent then that what we saw in Stromdorf. It all looks taht we are going to have a really good and intriguing adventure with my beloved Skaven in the background (like we see on the cover).

ffgfan said:

It's good to see some old writers from WFRP. "The Oldenhaller Contract" was one of my favourite one shot adventure - I don't even remember how many time I've played it.

Yeah, the article credits him with that. What the article completely neglects to mention is that he was also heavily involved in practically every episode of The Enemy Within.

mcv said:

ffgfan said:

Yeah, the article credits him with that. What the article completely neglects to mention is that he was also heavily involved in practically every episode of The Enemy Within.

You are right MCV, I completly forgot. Thanks for reminding me about this.

Graeme Davis's batting average is pretty good (the only letdown for me was Ashes of Middenheim ). Even his White Dwarf scenarios for other RPG's such as Call of Cthulhu ("Trilogy of Terror", "Spirit of the Mountain") were pretty imaginative and atmospheric. My bet is that this will be another winner, and I hope there will be more from him in the future.

ragnar63 said:

+1000000000000

ragnar63 said:

So You played it? That's totaly unfair. I also would like to playtest it. That's one of the minuses of living in Europe.

GUd to see :)

jh

dvang and ragnar63: You've playtested the scenario so could you tell us how long it was? My group just got through Shilling short and Eye for an Eye and now they're heading for Gathering Storm. Is The Edge of Night good continuum from there or is it better to go straight to Edge and then after that to Gathering Storm?

Oh, thanks for the Ubersreik info. This is great and really valuable for all us GMs. Well done.

You could do either, but probably better to play it after a Gathering Storm.

Mordjinn said:

dvang and ragnar63: You've playtested the scenario so could you tell us how long it was? My group just got through Shilling short and Eye for an Eye and now they're heading for Gathering Storm. Is The Edge of Night good continuum from there or is it better to go straight to Edge and then after that to Gathering Storm?

I played Gathering Storm -> Eye for an Eye -> Edge of Night and it worked well. I think you can play them all in pretty much any order. EoN contains some potential links to GS and EfaE which can work in either direction.

Hmm.

Graeme Davis. A party as the backto an adventure. The von Saponatheim family.

Does anyone else remember Nastassia's Wedding ?

Not that that would be a complaint - an adventure that looked much better than the space that could be devoted to it.