Nyaaaaa...what's up, doc?

By The Gremlin, in Grimm RPG

It ocurred to me today that a lot of cartoon characters would make good characters in Grimm. They're all pretty morally ambiguous or incompetent. The coyote, good ol' Sam...and the rabbit himself. You can see them harassing the children one moment and coming in to heroically save them the next.

And, of course, some were inevitably corrupted. What twists can you find on the loony bunch?

By the way, I know that Warner Bro's copywrite rules are strict, so just in case it might be best to avoid the actual names. Don't want the Tasmanian Devil showing up with a lawsuit. :P

This does sounds interesting. I know my niece has wanted me to incorporate Pokemon into the game. Which I think could work rather well.

I've never watched any Pokemon, but it sounds like it'd fit well. Maybe the annoying yellow thing would be a completely deranged creature. After being enslaved for so long, it wants total revenge on all humans. It killed its wicked masters, who forced it to fight its own brethren for the sake of a game, and took over the kingdom. It repeatedly attempts to work with the Rotten King, but usually ends up forgetting and attacking its "allies".

hehe I am sure if I made some of her favourite Pokemon these nasty little bastards it would shock and annoy her. But I definately see where your coming from and it would be funny to see the look on her face. But Pokemon could easily incorporated in either a stay true to the mythos or in a darker Grimmed Up version.

If you don't want the Pokemon to be evil, you could have the nation they live in force them to fight in a massive arena-type annual event.

Well I for one dont really quite agree with adding cartooning characters in the grimm. Reason for that is basically this; The grimm lands are a place of imagination based from literature. The stories that kids would read or hear in their every day lives are in the grimm lands. Anything like fairy tales, Folk tales, rythms, lullabys, bedtime stories, and or school stories find their place here in the grimm lands.

EX literature: Alice in wonderland, Peter pan, James and the giant peach, Grimm tales, Boy who cried wolf, Treasure Island, Moby **** and the great white whale, Chronicles of Narnia, A series of Unfortunate Events, Christmas Carol, The mysterious man, Hobbit, and etc.

Cartoons like warner brothers, Mickey mouse, Pokemon, and etc. arent created from kids imaginations. They are just simply favorite things that kids love to watch. Though maybe you can use the cartoon characters as imagination spells that the characters bring into the world. EX: "Adam uses imagination to create Batman to save him." Something like that would be great into the game.

Actually, none of the creatures in the Grimm lands were created by kids' imaginations. They were just warped by them (such as the troll). They were actually invented by various Real World storytellers for children, and then brought to life by the Brothers. Not unlike the cartoons, who were also created for children.

I agree with Gremlin. I mean, run your own GRIMM however you want, but I think that when it comes to optional characters, the more the better. What harm in creating twisted cartoon characters? I myself had my players encounter a Care Bear. I believe that ANYTHING that has ever been imagined can be found somewhere in the GRIMMlands. If you don;t want certain elements in your story, simply don;t include them. The lands shift around, get larger and smaller - easy to avoid having your kiddies ever see the Warner bros. land

God, imagine how twisted Yakko, Wakko and Dot would be there?

GameBearOR said:

God, imagine how twisted Yakko, Wakko and Dot would be there?

:D

Does anybody know how tough Disney's copyright rules are? I've heard they're extremely strict, but it'd be fun to bring in some of those characters.

Well guys your right. I can run my grimm campaign however i want. Yet the Point is so very clear on the cover of the book and even on every page of the book its self. The game is about Twisted Fantasy Fairy tales. Anything that is a fanatsy story or was ever a bed time story...hell even a folk tale can be found in the world of grimm. Just let me remind you cartoons arent what would be considered as fantasy, its comedy. Hasnt anyone of you ever seen Who framed roger rabbit. Cartoons only do things if it brings laughter. Living in there world, you would not find what is consider violence...its slapstick humor. Cartoons as warner bros or Disney would never actually kill anyone....You can fall off a cliff and plumet 300 hundred feet and yet still survive in the world of TOON TOWN or ACME ACRES/ Falls.

Also i agree, the more characters added into the game the better. If it helps progress the story in anyway. So yes you can put in as many characters as you want. I would say bring it up with your players get their advice on the story about adding cartoon characters. All the friends i have that play table top games agreed with me. Cartoons that werent based off of fairy tale stories dont have much of a place in the game. Unless of course you make up a whole different game. Like playing a table top version kingdom hearts. Which if it did happen would be pretty cool.

Though if we are going to add cartoon characters to the list of potential. Lets call them by different names, so that disney or warner bros dont get all rowdy about it. Dont want to see a cease and decease order.

RED_RONIN47 said:

cartoons arent what would be considered as fantasy, its comedy.

Ummm, despite the inherent ridiculousness of this statement, are you saying that you cannot have a fantasy comedy?

I ment twisted fantasy....if i would have to word it correctly. The Cartoon world as toon town or Acme Falls is not twisted Fairy tales. It is a world filled of humorous, melodrama, slapstick, and non sensical humor for the sake of comedy.

And no im not saying you cant have a fatansy comedy. But remeber the topic is about twisting cartoon characters for grimm. so what im saying is you cant have a world like toon town and twist it with evil. Do to the fact cartoons arent consider evil and never do evilish acts.

So perhaps if your going to add the world of Toon town. Do something like Kingdom hearts. The world of toon town is merging with the world of grimm. Characters from grimm are destroying all that is good in toon town and the Kids have to save the day. That sounds roughly good. I'd play it like that.

RED_RONIN47 said:

I ment twisted fantasy....if i would have to word it correctly. The Cartoon world as toon town or Acme Falls is not twisted Fairy tales. It is a world filled of humorous, melodrama, slapstick, and non sensical humor for the sake of comedy.

And no im not saying you cant have a fatansy comedy. But remeber the topic is about twisting cartoon characters for grimm. so what im saying is you cant have a world like toon town and twist it with evil. Do to the fact cartoons arent consider evil and never do evilish acts.

So perhaps if your going to add the world of Toon town. Do something like Kingdom hearts. The world of toon town is merging with the world of grimm. Characters from grimm are destroying all that is good in toon town and the Kids have to save the day. That sounds roughly good. I'd play it like that.

Toons aren't evil? Clearly you haven't seen that Roadrunner fellow. And Rapunzel wasn't evil, either.

Road runner isnt evil. I've grown up on looney toons Roadrunner and Wild E. Coyote. The coyote isnt evil. So totally not. He would be consider as a predator or carnevirous. not evil. Is a lion evil. Think about it. Is any animal in the animal kingdom consider twisted and evil.....expect humans.

Also, Rapunzel was not a cartoon first. It was a story first. As for Little bo peep. It was a poem. Have you read the story or the poem.

The sheep were lost and the tails were hung up to dry. Come on dude sounds rather creepy to me. In Rapunzel the prince gets his eyes scratched up by thorns and is blind forever until he find rapunzel.

The world of grimm is based off of short stories, fairy tales, folk tales, and childrens poems. You still dont really understand that. Cartoons that Walt disney made Like Aladdin, Sleeping beauty, Snow white, and Beauty and the beast. All were stories so they fit in the world of Grimm. Cause the stories them selves are rather frightening. Have you ever read Cinderalla. Like really read the original story that was in the grimm collection. The sisters cut of there toes and heels to put the **** slipper on. Then at the end. It ends off with the sisters getting there eyes plucked out from their sockets.

You were talking about cartoons that are not based off of short stories or poems. Like Mickey mouse, donald duck, goofy, pluto, minnie, Bugs bunny, daffy duck, marvin the martian, taz, and porky the pig.

So I stand by my statement. Toons arent evil.

name a toon from Toon town or Acme Falls that is not based off a fairy tale, short story, or poem that is evil.

Whaaaat? You totally misunderstood my post.

I never said Rapunzel was a cartoon. But it wasn't twisted (Freudian slips are Freudian). You claimed that only twisted fantasy could make it into Grimm, which makes no sense, because Bo Peep, Mother Goose, and the Ugly Duckling (to name a few)were neither fantasy, nor twisted. They're twisted when the enter the Lands. The same can be done to Toons without any difficulty.

Also, it turns out Elmer Fudd is secwetwy evil.

Oh i see what happen. Yeah your correct gremlin. Most stories or fairy tales are not consider twisted. Sorry i still miss word that. But most of those stories are how you percieve them. Little bo peep has a bizarre twist. Back with the missing sheep tails. Ugly duckling is one of those stories that if you find it can be mean. Being the ducks that made fun of him. One example and I swear the story makes me laugh would be. the little red hen. That hen is one cold hearted *****. Read the story. and i swear towards the end the hen is a *****.

But yes Grimm is a world filled with stories, fairy tales, Folk tales, and poems that have turned twisted and evil. As for cartoons like i said. Cartoons arent twisted and if so twisted they lose there character. If the characters are in the world of toon town or Acme. They would never get hurt and have no reason to be scaried. A anvil can fall on them and not suffer any pain. A bomb can explode and still survive.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (cont. in Spamalot)
I just lost a huge ******* post. I will rewrite it tomorrow.