Help with rules

By Nephilim2, in Android

Haya, had our first game last night and at first it went very good but when people started to play dark TL-cards on each other there where a lot of discussions about interpretations of the rules. (None of us are native English speakers)

1. can you play a TL-card just to adjust your TL-counter?
eg: Light card says: spend one favor to gain something. If you dont have a favor can you still play it?

1b. If you can, what about if you have a favor, can you choose not to spend it?

2. Someone playd the dark Floyd card of 6 that put a character marker somewhere and sayd that Floyd couldn't use the abilities of mayor locations and not USE tech cards.
a. Tech cards are the ones with "tech" in bold right?
b. can he still PLAY the card but not use there effects?
c. what happens when the tech card remains in play or there is already a tech card "in play" if you play that dark (6) card.

3. Sometimes dark cards say you have to choose one of two bad's, but one of the bad things is related to your plot's bad bagage type (greed, stress, guild, ...). But as it seems you don't have that type at that moment. Do you have to play the other bad stuff then or are you lucky and get away with it?

4. One plot cards sayd: good bagage section: spend a favor to gain a good bagage.
a. can you do that whenever you want or only in your turn. (This is because if your the first player you can have a disadvantage if people after you will gang up on you)

Nephilim said:

Haya, had our first game last night and at first it went very good but when people started to play dark TL-cards on each other there where a lot of discussions about interpretations of the rules. (None of us are native English speakers)

eg: Light card says: spend one favor to gain something. If you dont have a favor can you still play it?

My take is, you can - although this would be a pointless move, because for the same 1 time you spend, you could have just discarded the card.

Nephilim said:

That depends on the wording of the card. If it reads "you may spend one favor" then you can certainly not spend it. If it doesn't, you'll have to spend it.

Nephilim said:

2. Someone playd the dark Floyd card of 6 that put a character marker somewhere and sayd that Floyd couldn't use the abilities of mayor locations and not USE tech cards.
a. Tech cards are the ones with "tech" in bold right?

Yup.

Nephilim said:

b. can he still PLAY the card but not use there effects?

Yes. That is a valid move, cause once the effect fizzles, he can use them.

Nephilim said:

c. what happens when the tech card remains in play or there is already a tech card "in play" if you play that dark (6) card.

Floyd can't use it. Simple.

Nephilim said:

3. Sometimes dark cards say you have to choose one of two bad's, but one of the bad things is related to your plot's bad bagage type (greed, stress, guild, ...). But as it seems you don't have that type at that moment. Do you have to play the other bad stuff then or are you lucky and get away with it?

You're lucky.

Nephilim said:

4. One plot cards sayd: good bagage section: spend a favor to gain a good bagage.
a. can you do that whenever you want or only in your turn. (This is because if your the first player you can have a disadvantage if people after you will gang up on you)

Only on your turn.

Mike said:

Nephilim said:

My take is, you can - although this would be a pointless move, because for the same 1 time you spend, you could have just discarded the card.

Well it can be usefull when you plan to play a dark TL-card on someone and want to adjust your TL-slider to the dark side to pay the cost so you don't have to throw away additional cards. This strategie happened quite often in our game.

Mike said:

Nephilim said:

That depends on the wording of the card. If it reads "you may spend one favor" then you can certainly not spend it. If it doesn't, you'll have to spend it.

That's just it, we can't figure it out; card says: Play during your turn. Spend one society favor to place an alibi on a suspect of your choice.
(this is a Louis card but lots of cards have similar abilities and wording)

It's just if English is not your native language sentences like that leaves lot's to debate on. (words like "may" and "must" would be mush clearer but well...)
Same with sentences with and/or. Lucky we know AND precedes OR other wise you would have a hell of a discussion with someone who doesn't: (eg: Caprice gains two trauma or one betrayal and one rage)

The wording on the card suggests to me that you have to spend the society favor.

What is your interpretation of the card you cited (from Caprice)?

Well we just apply the rules of logical opperators where AND precedes OR. In the given sentence it would be that you have following choises:

1. gains two trauma
2. gain one betrayal and one rage

I was well aware of the outcomes of the card - I just wanted to see if you got the right impression. ;)

Thanks for addressing my other issues it was very helpful happy.gif

Playing a light (or dark card) where you can't(or don't choose too) play the additional costs seems kind of sketchy to me. Essentially, if nothing happened why are you adjusting your karma? There's already several mechanics for manipulating a DL cards cost (additional discards, maching active plot ) so I don't think its nessecary. Its def a good FAQ question for the designer.