false transponder codes - locking objects and jamming them

By meffo, in X-Wing Rules Questions

swz82_a1_upgrade_false-codes.png

ok, let's acquire a lock on an object with an active charge on false transponder codes. since i'm also carrying qi'ra, i'll elect to lock the big rock right in front of me. i then loose the charge and jam the rock. jamming is not just assigning a jam token. you're not performing a jam action, you just jam. (please insert space jam or raspberry memes at your own discretion)

this is from page 13 of the RR:

Capture.png

Capture2.png

and that's that. you've just jammed a rock. can you even jam a rock? no, not really, since the rules on jam specifies that you must choose a ship. the selection of a target for your jam is not an option here, though, according to the text on false transponder codes. (as in, you cannot jam their radar). also, the rules on the end phase state that round tokens are removed from ships, but it doesn't say anything about objects. that means that the rock you just jammed stays jammed for the rest of the game.

i mean obviously, i would think that you do indeed loose the charge on transponder codes when you acquire a lock on a rock, as silly as that is - and that you jam that rock. not very thematic, but at least it works.

opinions? thoughts?

in my opinion, the card should read "ship" instead of "object", but that's just because it feels a bit silly sending your false transponder codes to an object that can't make any sense of what a transponder code is. even if that's changing how the card works, i believe it would be better for the game.

2 hours ago, meffo said:

loose

lose

2 hours ago, meffo said:

in my opinion, the card should read "ship" instead of "object", but that's just because it feels a bit silly sending your false transponder codes to an object that can't make any sense of what a transponder code is. even if that's changing how the card works, i believe it would be better for the game.

It's silly, but we all know how it works. Perhaps FFG will give us an updated RR in the next *checks calender* 5ish days to allow up to jam objects. I imagine the reason "objects" was chosen was for future proofing for perhaps a device that can take locks or a device that could calculate and network those calculates.