Are the Venator and Providence really bigger than an ISD?

By ScummyRebel, in Star Wars: Armada

Looking at the preorder msrp, it seems that the Venator/Providence are both in larger packaging than the ISD. (Judging by packaging size = cost, which has typically been the case for ffg mini games)

Are they really that big? Or is this a price increase occurring?

fwiw, we saw a price increase in xwing where the Ace box for the resistance was $10 more than the starters for republic and separatist, despite being the same size

43 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Looking at the preorder msrp, it seems that the Venator/Providence are both in larger packaging than the ISD. (Judging by packaging size = cost, which has typically been the case for ffg mini games)

Are they really that big? Or is this a price increase occurring?

fwiw, we saw a price increase in xwing where the Ace box for the resistance was $10 more than the starters for republic and separatist, despite being the same size

It’s tough to say without seeing them in person, but even if they’re longer I would say they probably don’t use as much plastic. It’s definitely a price increase. Heck, the separatist destroyer is $65...

We already experienced a price increasing with the Onager. It costed $10 more than the ISD and even if they both are similarly large, the Onager is clearly less massive. So it wouldn't be crazy to think that now a smaller ship can cost more. Even more taking into consideration that perhaps Atomic Mass Games could be producing them (the bases are clearly different, so maybe is because this expansions will be produced by them) and maybe they charge more.

The bases are different. Good eye. Is it possible those are preproduction bases? Maybe replacement bases from an up coming accessories pack? Or maybe they did change out the bases. The packaging is similar to the other clone war stuff, so I doubt Atomic Games had their hand in this. These would have been done by FFG before the purge. Prices going up is normal. I would expect price increases to continue and even old products to be adjusted on reprint.

17 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

We already experienced a price increasing with the Onager. It costed $10 more than the ISD and even if they both are similarly large, the Onager is clearly less massive. So it wouldn't be crazy to think that now a smaller ship can cost more. Even more taking into consideration that perhaps Atomic Mass Games could be producing them (the bases are clearly different, so maybe is because this expansions will be produced by them) and maybe they charge more.

The bases may just be for the 3D rendering, and not a representation of the actual color.

We also saw a price increase with the CW squadron packs, so I am certain that this is that, and is not an indication of larger models/boxes.

28 minutes ago, Mep said:

The bases are different. Good eye. Is it possible those are preproduction bases?

I think the "new" bases are simply a rendering bug/error. If you look at the stand parts, particularly on the Pelta, something weird is going on there.

Guessing that the £65 price is for large bases since both new separatist releases and the Venator are all that price.

Base size doesn't always relate to actual size but role. So the Quasar is a medium and the mc30 is a small, which helps to represent the mc30's devious sneakiness.

Hard to tell (whether or not it's bigger than an ISD), but if this is indeed a Large base (and the article indicates that it is), the Invisible Hand is going to be quite the model. Look at that overhang. (Also, anyone reading: join us at swarmada.net come February 1!)

swm42-shipimage.png

It could just be poor perspective in the render.